All reviewsmichelin starwalled gardenduck eggroecourse menufoie grasafternoon teacountry housemolton brown toiletriespre dinner drinksset menuroll top bathwine liston arrivaldining experienceporridgedining room
Reviewed 30 November 2008

We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at this little treasure. The whole place has the feel of a rather grand family home, intimate, luxurious but idiosyncratic. Art is displayed through out the building, the furnishings, while of very good order are not at all uniform from room to room. Personally I think this adds to the charm of the place. The room we had was large with a good sized bathroom, comfortable, clean with a pleasant view of the grounds.

The staff and owners were all very attentive and helpful without being obtrusive. They took time to chat and share their local knowledge and share a joke.

We mainly went for the food and that didn't disappoint. There is no choice as the six course dinner is set but it is changed daily and with advance warning dietary requirements are catered for. Although each course is quite small by the end of the meal you are left feeling replete but not bloated. Again a plus for me. As for the food, it is extremely competently cooked with attention to detail and flavour.

All in all a pleasurable stay and we'll be returning for a longer visit later next year.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darius_J
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I had been to this hotel for lunch a couple of times and thanks to some heavy hinting, my husband, bless his triathlon socks, booked us in here for dinner bed and breakfast for our anniversary. On arrival, it took a couple of minutes to remember where the bell is located - on a desk to your right as you enter. Once rung, Johnny was on the case, and made us very welcome. He showed us into Room 3, which was absolutely brilliant. The view, framed by the triple windows was stunning. The bed was much more comfortable than it looked, and the bathroom was the last word in luxury. Twin slipper baths in front of a window combined with a room large enough to take your morning jog in made this bathroom the best I've ever performed my abolutions in.

Guests are offered a 'welcome' drink and we chose to have ours outside, on a stone bench overlooking the lake. We spent a very happy hour here! We strolled around the grounds and my husband was delighted for find a 'conker' tree - horse-chestnut to the ill-informed! Given the amount of conkers lying around, it was clear that no small boys has been past this way recently.

Guests are requested to make their way to the drawing room between 7 and 7.30, to look over the menu and wine list. I am careful to say 'look over' rather than 'make their selections' - this was a set menu, of some 6 courses followed by coffee and wee chocolates. In fairness to the chef, all dietary requirements are catered to with no fuss, and guests are advised to let staff know of any issues early on in their stay. A choice would have made this a truly superb experience.

The food is exquisitely presented and tastes wonderful. The staff seem knowledgeable about the ingredients and take a pride in the use of local produce. However, the portions are tiny. I'm not a particularly greedy person - 5 foot 3 and of small to medium build, and I was certainly not full after the 6 courses. Perhaps we in the west generally eat too much, and I was probably quite adequately nourished, but for the money, I would have liked a little more..... I ate some food which I really enjoyed, but would never have selected from a menu, so in some ways my peasant palate was stretched. Thankfully there was no veal or Bambi on offer. The after dinner coffee and petit fours were lovely. The coffee was plentiful, but sadly, the petit fours were not. I could have eaten 3 times as many.

As luck would have it, I had packed some Pringles in my case, so didn't starve.

Breakfast the next morning was extremely filling. Portions were comparatively generous and the 'Golspie porridge with summer berries' was truly lovely. The mango smoothie was less so. I had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon which was utterly divine. Husband had a 'full Scottish' which came piled artfully in the centre of the plate. With a swift movement of his fork he soon had it looking like sausage egg and bacon. He declared it to be fine, which in his language is high praise indeed.

Despite the small portions, I'm left with a yearning to go back. Next time I shall come via Marks and Spencer's foodhall though.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2008

Oh My Goodness where do we start....we went to Boath House for four days for our honeymoon. Our stay was pure and unadulterated heaven from beginning to end. The staff could not have been more welcoming, attentive and unpretentious. The room was immaculate, beautifully decorated and completely luxurious. The food was out of this world. We spent every day in excited anticipation of what delights lay ahead and enjoyed every single moment of dining there - it was the most amazing experience. We could not explain to anyone how fabulous Boath House is but we are over the moon that we chose it for our honeymoon. It could not have been a more wonderful experience. An amazing place to begin your new life together and we will be recommending it to everyone we know!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Wirral-Lass
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We recently spent two days at Boath House and found it to be the most charmingly ecclectic hotel we have ever visited. The house itself is not too large and has been made to feel more like a very familiar family home rather than a hotel.
The food is simply outstanding, some of the best we have ever eaten, and served in a relaxed but service orientated way.
We were particularly impressed with the kitchen gardens and the obvious pride taken in serving homegrown produce.
The staff were all local and from our greeting on the doorstep to a final friendly chat on the portico were attentive and keen to ensure that we made the most of our stay in the area.
Rarely have we ever been made to feel more welcome in a hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Oranges46
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We stayed at Boath House for a couple of nights having largley been seduced by the picture of the twin baths on the website.

Expecting a warm welcome, we were let in by the cleaner with no sign of anyone else around. Be prepared to be questioned if you ask for a key - " we don't do keys round here" was the reply. They did relent and gave us a key when we insisted, although it went missing the following morning at which point, we'd given up asking.

The ambience is intimate to say the least - however, intimate with everyone else in the hotel. Breakfast, if we're completely honest, is painful. The a la carte menu is stuck rigidly to with no allowances for dietary preferences. A request for porridge with water was met with a derisory smirk and a comment that it's " it's got everything in it", the inference being that you either did it Don's way or no way. The lack of music also made things awkward as you could hear every other conversation in the restaurant and were forced to talk in whispers. What with that and the clinking of spoons on the plate, we couldn't wait to get out of there in the mornings. To be fair, the food is good (although rich) and the evening meal was not as awkward (probably given fact that everyone had had a bottle of wine by half eight (that being because you could only have dinner between 8 and 8.30 (we're not joking).

We're not saying it's bad by any means but it's certainly overpriced (we paid over a grand for 3 nights) and for what we were looking for (i.e. intimate, boutiquey romantic hideaway) it just missed the mark by a long way.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple