“Terrible”

Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I'm not typing it all out again but below is the email sent to the golf view, now to be fair after this they responded with a voucher of £50 credit for food.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly I must apologise this may not be the happiest email of your day as there are more negative points to our stay than positive but I felt a short review of these may be required. I stayed on the night of the 14th of February with my fiancée on clearly a special night doubly so as it's a year since I first proposed.

I paid in advance by cash about a week before coming to stay in your hotel as my card type was not accepted for online payment and was advised a check in time of 11am and check out time of 2pm, I thought this rather odd and queried it with the receptionist who confirmed this for me and I assumed this was due to the room being unoccupied the next day and went ahead with my booking. I state this now and it will come apparent later as to why.

On the morning of the 14th I arrived to book in and Helen on the front desk checked but found that the room was not yet ready, as I has arranged to come in for 11am as that was the requested time I was not as pleased as could be but Helen kindly offered to take my case and leave it in my room for me once it was cleaned which upon our arrival later that afternoon to book in it was. We had a look around the room and were taken away by the view and space within the room. I was quite tired and to say the least a little stressed so I though I would take a bath to relax, although the bathroom was beautiful there was no sign of any kind of bubble bath which I've always found in other hotels I've worked and stayed in but never the less I ended up using body wash and enjoyed the bath; I tried to turn on the jacuzzi feature but found it wasn't working after several attempts. After getting out I was a little disappointed to only find a hand and body towel but no dressing gown, I checked around the cupboards and such in the room but couldn't find one. I make note of this as a friend of mine has told me that they were exceptionally comfortable and so I took it this was standard.

We continued to enjoy our night and after going out for dinner decided to watch some television but not all of the channels on the channel list were available ITV 2 +1 in particular as I had planned on watching something that night, the sleep after that was not best as the pillows in the room were rock hard and I ended up having to remove them from the bed in the end.

Once waking in the morning we went for breakfast though it did take some time to be seated in the quite quiet room the staff were attentive in taking our orders. I was a little disappointed at the lack of quantity with the full Scottish breakfast though I'm sure that if I had mentioned this to the staff they would have provided more for me, a standard of one slice of bacon and one sausage seemed a bit odd and if this is standard I would expect to be asked which quantities of each I required upon ordering. We enjoyed our food none the less and returned to our room to plan for the day ahead during which my fiancée had planned a trip to the spa for a beauty treatment before we left.

My main reason for the earlier specifics of my book in will now become clear as we received a phone call from reception at 12 where the young lady requested to know if we were booking out that day, I spoke with her more and it appeared there was confusion with the booking in and out times in my earlier conversation and we were required to leave an hour previous. The young lady was quite adamant that we leave as the room was booked for the day and so we quickly packed and booked out. After this we took drinks in the bar until 2 when we were planning on leaving but didn't quite feel that the spa treatment would fit the mood of the occasion after such a stay.

I must say over all this was a very negative stay. I will say everything about our stay with you was not negative the staff were very helpful and seemed to all be enjoying the work they were doing; the barman who's name I cannot recall seemed very well versed in his role on bar and customer services even while the bar was busy. Helen left a lasting impression with her cheerful nature and eagerness to help. I also must say the quality of the hotels food was well above par something of note was the perfection of the cooking of the black pudding in the morning.

As I have spoken to friends who have stayed with you before and have given the hotel good reviews I would take it this is not the normal experience for guests but given the extra £50 I paid on top of the standard charge for that room (clear and acceptable given the night of choice) I was very disappointed but will be staying at the hotel and/or taking dinner with you in the future with the hope it will be a better experience and that mine was out of the norm."

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidMacarthur
NairnMurray, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2011

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor.I have responded to you directly on the points raised and did offer my apologises for some of the issues that were disappointing for you during your stay.
We were also disappointed to hear that you had problems during your overnight stay
with us and we have taken some steps as advised to you to address these points.
We are happy with the quality of our pillows supplied,and bubble bath was provided
as well as a lovely range of other shampoos and shower gel.We could find no fault with the jacuzzi and the TV problem was an issue outwith our control.We will certainly offer any guests additional breakfast items if they request these.
Thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff and food offered to you and we would be delighted for you to return to the hotel to use your voucher.My head office has advised you to contact me and I will arrange this booking for you.

Murray McPhee

Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 28 March 2011

The Staff are very good and well trained, the food is yummy and creatively presented. We had two rooms which were both very well decorated and comfortable and had very clean and modern bathrooms. Our bedroom was huge! The spa area is lovely with a splendid view over the gardens and then out to sea. The Hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area right next to the sea.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
NairnMurray, Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2011

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor and thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and the staff,food and service.I will pass your comments on to the staff concerned.

Reviewed 25 March 2011

Excellent location in a quiet part of Nairn, as close to the sea as you can get. The food in the main restaurant was stunningly good and was served by attentive and friendly staff. The Leisure Club and pool is very pleasant but let down by scuffed, painted concrete floors on the corridor leading from the entrance from the main part of the hotel.

Our room (41) was in need of some attention with poorly finished plasterwork and a spotlight which was hanging out of its fitting. I'm sure the management wouldn't tolerate that in their own homes so why think that hotel guests would. Shame also about the bed - softest mattress known to mankind left us both waking with aching backs and necks.

Might be an idea to teach the receptionist that receiving guests is the most important part of her job - Speaking to customers without lifting her head from her paperwork doesn't really cut it I'm afraid.

Some small issues that could be easily fixed - this would be an exceptional hotel then.

1  Thank Mostly

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor.We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I am delighted to advise that the areas around the leisure club are being upgraded at present.This includes the addition of another treatment room and I am sure will make a great improvement to the leisure club area.
We will look at the issues you raised regarding your room and please accept our apologises regarding your reception point, we will advise our reception team of your comments.

Reviewed 23 March 2011

Service was excellent, staff friendly and helpful, food first class. The location is superb with sea views and lovely gardens. The only downside was local children being allowed access to the pool late afternoon, resulting in the pool becoming crowded and ruining a relaxing swim and jacuzzi for adult guests.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank tiredholidaymaker

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor.We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with.
Thank you also for the kind comments on both the staff and the food and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

General manager

Reviewed 22 March 2011

Excellent long weekend at The Golf Hotel!

Zara cheerfully and efficiently sorted out our mis-booking; Karen very kindly upgraded us; the restaurant girls and their restaurant manager could not have been more helpful and pleasant, dealing with an awkward food allergy efficiently; dinner was delicious and very inventive with menus obviously prepared by a team which has a great enthusiasm for their art; Wilma in the spa worked a miracle on my back and level of relaxation.

Nothing was too much trouble, and we were treated with great courtesey and friendliness at exactly the right level.

I have nothing but praise for the staff and the hotel in general.

Thank you.

1  Thank Alfie'smum

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor.We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff.I will pass your comments onto them.Pleased we could accommodate your food requests and that you enjoyed the spa.
We are currently refurbishing this area with a second spa treatment room is opening shortly.

General manager

Reviewed 21 March 2011

This is the third time we have stayed at the Golf View and we were very pleased to find it's as fabulous as ever.

The hotel is clean and friendly. The food is great. We stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast basis. The dinner menu is varied and of exceptional quality. The breakfast choices are vast and tasty.

We will be back!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor.Thank you also for staying with us on so many ocassions and we will delighted to welcome you back on a future visit.
We are pleased that you felt standards were still good over the times you have stayed and that the food quality was excellent.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 4 March 2011

I can only echo the plaudits from previous reviewers.
We had a most relaxing 3 night break in this refreshingly, traditional hotel in February.
Our room was comfortable with a spacious bathroom and stunning sea view.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The service and food in the dining room certainly merited
their AA Rosette.
Charm, comfort and quality are evident in every aspect of this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Fallaghair

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor and thank you also for the kind comments regarding the hotel and your stay with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed your break and hope to welcome you back on a future visit to Nairn.

Best wishes

Murray McPhee

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Newton Muthu Hotel
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa
Culloden House
Culloden House
#1 of 36 in Inverness

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!