“Lovely relaxing hotel, great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Anstruther, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxing hotel, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

I stayed at the Golf View for two nights at Easter with my husband. We really enjoyed it and would return to the hotel if we are in the area again in future.

The hotel is a short walk from the Victorian promenade and about a 20 minute walk from the town centre. It is a very pleasant evening stroll. The hotel has a decent size car park and in addition there is on street parking outside.

The public areas of the hotel are comfortable, clean and well maintained. The staff are all very helpful and friendly. The hotel bar is a pleasant place to sit and have a drink. On a previous trip to Nairn we had a meal in the hotel restauarnt and it was very good. On this occasion we did not eat any evening meals in the hotel but breakfast was fantastic. The cooked breakfast is made to order using good quality produce. There is also a good selection of cereal, juices and pastries available on the buffet table.

The room was large, clean and comfortable. My concern would be whether it would be warm enough in colder months (or even for that matter on a colder Scottish summer day). There was one small radiator in the bedroom and no obvious heat sources in the bathroom. Also the room was quite dimly lit which meant using the bathroom for applying make up.

The bathroom was a decent size with a bath, separate shower and WC. The fittings were clean and modern. The shower was powerful and there was plenty of hot water.

The hotel has a pool and spa. At the time of our visit upgrading work was ongoing. I think that the changing rooms could do with a bit of upgrading to bring them into line with the rest of the pool/spa. The pool is excellent and a very pleasant space to use. There is also a hot tub, steam room and jacuzzi. The gym looked well equipt and modern.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the Golf View and would recommend it.

1 Thank Woo4uk
NairnMurray, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2011
Thank you for placing a review of your stay on Trip advisor.Thank you for all your kind comments regarding the hotel,and we are delighted you enjoyed your break with us.
It was kind of you to say you would recommend us to others and we very much hope you will return yourself in the not too distant future.

Murray McPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel helped by the extremely good weather. The hotel location is wonderful overlooking the Moray Firth. We paid extra for a sea facing room and were amazed to see dolphins swimming in the bay, better than the car park or air conditioning unit we've experienced before from a standard hotel bedroom.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the food very good and the overall feel of the hotel was relaxing.
The conservatory where we had some evening meals was great with the view overlooking the bay. There is also a small terrace to sit and have an evening drink.
The swimming pool and gym were excellent and the Spa was also very good.
If you're looking for a comfortable hotel with a great location for beach walks and lovely views then this hotel would suit you.

Room Tip: Room 12 has a great view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JHS15
NairnMurray, Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that all aspects of your stay where enjoyable and that you took advantage of the wonderful rooms over looking the bay which rain or shine have some excellent views!! I will ensure the staff see your positive comments about the food and service you encountered during your stay as all feedback is very much welcomed.

Thank you once again and I hope we can welcome you back to the Golf View again.
Many thanks
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

Don’t tell everyone but this hotel has to be one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in for a long time. The food quality is of the highest standard, leisure facilities and sea views are excellent, staff are a credit to the management team. The only area below par is the bar; it’s very barren and lacking in atmosphere. The chef delivers 5 star food every time. In addition there are 2 very high quality golf courses in Nairn. I have to stay in London hotels every week, and none deliver this package .Well done Golf View.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
NairnMurray, Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us here at the Golf View. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the wonderful comments will be passed onto the staff in the various departments, it is always nice to hear that they have helped make your stay enjoyable.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

This was our first stay at the Golf View Hotel. We occupied room 10 which was very spacious and had a LARGE bathroom. There also was a separate hallway, as part of the room, which lead to the actual bedroom through 2 separate glass doors. In the bedroom is a fantastic four poster bed with clean fabric. There are slippers and bathrobes for the guests.

From both the bedroom and the bathroom you have an excellent view of the Firth of Moray. The bathroom was great, but it needed a little bit more attention by the cleaning crew, especially the grout line around the toilet. But otherwise we were very happy with it.

We had dinner at the hotel and found the food to be excellent! We can definitely recommend to have dinner there. With that being said, we were seated at a table that still had crumbs on both the table top as well as one of the chairs. A long dark hair was attached to the salt shaker. Ugh! Although this sounds terrible, we still enjoyed the food and found the wait staff to be very friendly.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
NairnMurray, Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the food in our conservatory of a high standard.
However, I must apologise for the cleanlieness issues you experienced, these are not the norm and I will take these issues up with the relevant department heads.
That said thank you again for your kind words and I hope to welcome you back to the Golf View in the near future.

Best wishes
Aberlour, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

We have visited all Paddy Crerar's hotels including the recently attained Deeside Inn and conclude that although we were impressed with the Loch Fyne the Golf View still reigns supreme for service,quality and hospitality.We are regular visitors and are treated as such....reception welcome us back personally and allocate us the best available accommodation.The food here is perhaps the best in the Highlands and the leisure facilities are just what is called for after a Winter of discontent and cold weather.We thought that we were lucky to receive loyalty vouchers from Crerar but were delighted with the free upgrade to a fantastic suite in one of the best rooms in the hotel.10 out of 10 to the staff especially Helen on reception...pure professional.

Room Tip: A sea view is a good idea
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words in your recent review. I am thrilled that you have enjoyed another stay with us. The spa facilities are great with some of the best views in Scotland and will soon be able to be viewed in our new outdoor hottub!
I will of course pass on your kind words to Helen and the rest of the staff.
Once again thank you and I hope that when you return we make that stay just as special for you.

Best wishes
Nairn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

I'm not typing it all out again but below is the email sent to the golf view, now to be fair after this they responded with a voucher of £50 credit for food.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly I must apologise this may not be the happiest email of your day as there are more negative points to our stay than positive but I felt a short review of these may be required. I stayed on the night of the 14th of February with my fiancée on clearly a special night doubly so as it's a year since I first proposed.

I paid in advance by cash about a week before coming to stay in your hotel as my card type was not accepted for online payment and was advised a check in time of 11am and check out time of 2pm, I thought this rather odd and queried it with the receptionist who confirmed this for me and I assumed this was due to the room being unoccupied the next day and went ahead with my booking. I state this now and it will come apparent later as to why.

On the morning of the 14th I arrived to book in and Helen on the front desk checked but found that the room was not yet ready, as I has arranged to come in for 11am as that was the requested time I was not as pleased as could be but Helen kindly offered to take my case and leave it in my room for me once it was cleaned which upon our arrival later that afternoon to book in it was. We had a look around the room and were taken away by the view and space within the room. I was quite tired and to say the least a little stressed so I though I would take a bath to relax, although the bathroom was beautiful there was no sign of any kind of bubble bath which I've always found in other hotels I've worked and stayed in but never the less I ended up using body wash and enjoyed the bath; I tried to turn on the jacuzzi feature but found it wasn't working after several attempts. After getting out I was a little disappointed to only find a hand and body towel but no dressing gown, I checked around the cupboards and such in the room but couldn't find one. I make note of this as a friend of mine has told me that they were exceptionally comfortable and so I took it this was standard.

We continued to enjoy our night and after going out for dinner decided to watch some television but not all of the channels on the channel list were available ITV 2 +1 in particular as I had planned on watching something that night, the sleep after that was not best as the pillows in the room were rock hard and I ended up having to remove them from the bed in the end.

Once waking in the morning we went for breakfast though it did take some time to be seated in the quite quiet room the staff were attentive in taking our orders. I was a little disappointed at the lack of quantity with the full Scottish breakfast though I'm sure that if I had mentioned this to the staff they would have provided more for me, a standard of one slice of bacon and one sausage seemed a bit odd and if this is standard I would expect to be asked which quantities of each I required upon ordering. We enjoyed our food none the less and returned to our room to plan for the day ahead during which my fiancée had planned a trip to the spa for a beauty treatment before we left.

My main reason for the earlier specifics of my book in will now become clear as we received a phone call from reception at 12 where the young lady requested to know if we were booking out that day, I spoke with her more and it appeared there was confusion with the booking in and out times in my earlier conversation and we were required to leave an hour previous. The young lady was quite adamant that we leave as the room was booked for the day and so we quickly packed and booked out. After this we took drinks in the bar until 2 when we were planning on leaving but didn't quite feel that the spa treatment would fit the mood of the occasion after such a stay.

I must say over all this was a very negative stay. I will say everything about our stay with you was not negative the staff were very helpful and seemed to all be enjoying the work they were doing; the barman who's name I cannot recall seemed very well versed in his role on bar and customer services even while the bar was busy. Helen left a lasting impression with her cheerful nature and eagerness to help. I also must say the quality of the hotels food was well above par something of note was the perfection of the cooking of the black pudding in the morning.

As I have spoken to friends who have stayed with you before and have given the hotel good reviews I would take it this is not the normal experience for guests but given the extra £50 I paid on top of the standard charge for that room (clear and acceptable given the night of choice) I was very disappointed but will be staying at the hotel and/or taking dinner with you in the future with the hope it will be a better experience and that mine was out of the norm."

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DavidMacarthur
NairnMurray, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor.I have responded to you directly on the points raised and did offer my apologises for some of the issues that were disappointing for you during your stay.
We were also disappointed to hear that you had problems during your overnight stay
with us and we have taken some steps as advised to you to address these points.
We are happy with the quality of our pillows supplied,and bubble bath was provided
as well as a lovely range of other shampoos and shower gel.We could find no fault with the jacuzzi and the TV problem was an issue outwith our control.We will certainly offer any guests additional breakfast items if they request these.
Thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff and food offered to you and we would be delighted for you to return to the hotel to use your voucher.My head office has advised you to contact me and I will arrange this booking for you.

Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

The Staff are very good and well trained, the food is yummy and creatively presented. We had two rooms which were both very well decorated and comfortable and had very clean and modern bathrooms. Our bedroom was huge! The spa area is lovely with a splendid view over the gardens and then out to sea. The Hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area right next to the sea.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NairnMurray, Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor and thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and the staff,food and service.I will pass your comments on to the staff concerned.

Murray McPhee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 9 in Nairn
The Clubhouse Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
#7 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!