“So which Golf View Hotel & Spa did we stay at then ?”

Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“So which Golf View Hotel & Spa did we stay at then ?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Having read the glowing reviews of others who have stayed at the hotel recently, I have to wonder whether my wife and I fell into an inter-dimensional portal and ended up staying at an alternative Golf View Hotel & Spa.

Our room, though large and comfortable, smelled strongly of gloss paint, which had not only been used for decorating purposes, but had also been used to try and glue the windows shut

The large and well appointed bathroom had its eccentricities. The towel radiator did not look as though it was actually hooked up to a power source, which made hanging your damp towels on them something of a pointless exercise. The light fitting in the shower cubicle had no on-off switch that I could find, and I suspect that it wouldn't have worked anyway. The extractor fan did work, but only if you could reach the switch in the ceiling. At a shade under 6 feet tall in my bare size 11s, I could - but only just. The heated mirror did work, which is just as well, as it went some way towards counteracting the draught that seemed to emanate from behind the cistern of the WC.

Neither of these were deal breakers. We had, after all, come back because we loved the location, and had enjoyed ourselves on our previous visit. But maybe, just maybe, the breakfast tray that languished on the landing outside our room all day, might just have given us a clue as to staffing levels and attitudes.

I'll make the assumption that the woeful level of service was down to cost cutting in as much as there did not appear to be enough staff to go around. When we stay at a 4 star establishment, we do expect to be waited on. What happened all too often was that WE waited on - and on - and on -. In the restaurant, in the conservatory, in the bar. I shall remember with fondness a comment made by another guest at a particularly chaotic breakfast time, which alluded to the tardiness of service. He said, 'Oh well, that's lunch sorted then!'

I think I may have hit on the right word to sum it all up. Chaotic. Staff seemed inexperienced and poorly trained - they didn't know how to use machinery such as tills, they didn't know what they were serving - when asked what cranachan was, my wife was told by the waitress that it was popular - and facilities such as the conservatory were closed without letting guests know. Which forced us to change our dining plans on a couple of occasions, and the bit that stuck in my craw was that we were made to feel as though we were at fault, and that trying to accommodate us was a damn nuisance. During one of these enforced changes to our dinner plans, our reservation got lost in the 5 yards between the front desk and the restaurant. Said it all really.

This place has so much going for it - but would we recommend it to a friend? I might tell them to have a look at some of the deals, but otherwise, no.

We put some 900 pounds worth of business your way last week.

I suspect that will not happen again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John G
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your most recent stay at the Golf View. I am obviously disappointed to read some of your comments, but would have been delighted to have been able to address your issues during your stay to try and make wrongs right. As you have identified, our most recent reviews have been extremely positive, especially on areas such as staff service. We have recently had a complete turnover of staff in the food and beverage area and although they have experience elsewhere, it does take some time to become familiar with all items from each of our menus and get used to new ways of working.
I have taken on board your comments and can only assure you that we are working very hard to ensure our guests leave us comletely satisifed, anxious to return, which in the majority of cases, they do. I am disappointed that despite being invited to share your feedback with me personally during your stay and giving me the opportunity to address the issues, you left us indicating you would post your comments on Tripadvisor. I did try to contact you after your departure, but until now, I have not had a response.
I am sorry that you feel you perhaps will not return, but I do hope that you may reconsider and allow us the opportunity to demonstrate we can and will get it right.

Iain Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just returned from a two night Romantic break with my Wife feeling thoroughly refreshed! Our room was amazing, well equipped, HUGE Bathroom, Fantastic view and the surprise of a 4 Poster Bed went down very well with my Wife. Great selection of channels on the freeview.

We really enjoyed spending time in the perfect temperature pool with stunning views, jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam room. So often facilities like this are broken but all were working Very well. I must admit that one of the highlights for us was the roasting outdoor hot tub with open views - Bliss!

We ate in the Conservatory (both nights) who served up yummy steaks and tasty desserts. The whole place was getting redecorated so there was a nice fresh paint fragrance in all the corridors etc. From speaking with the very helpful staff there are more upgrades and renovations on the way.

I expected a good break - but we got a GREAT break. ;-)

The only Downside was having to leave. Thank you Crerer Hotels - We will be back...without a doubt.

Room Tip: For a 4 Poster, Sea View, Room 30 is Fantastic!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed one year ago and revisited again last week. Although the management team has changed we were impressed by the youthfulness and enthusiasm of the staff from the General Manager to the Cleaners. All staff attentive ,caring and customer focused. Staff are willing to engage with you in easy conversation. Very impressed by the GM being very visible to guests and willing to help his team by leading from the front. New menu - although not the size of portions from the previous year - the quality and variety is very good. Loved to look at guests faces when the apperitive brought out ,due to size, but after six course TDH menu slowly appreciated due to choice, taste and presentation. Stayed - Dinner- |Bed and Breakfast, arranged via Easybreaks and was definetley value for money. Premises very clean and has great views along with first class leisure facilities. Only down point was the rattling windows which will need a significant investment by the Crerar Group to make perfect .All in all , a hidden gem on the moray coast. Will return again.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best views over Moray Firth
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your most recent stay with us here at the Golf View. I am delighted that we appear to have met your expectations following your stay last year. It is extremely gratifying to hear that the hard work, passion and dedication to providing our guests with genuine true Scottish hospitality is being recognised and my team are deservedly very elated having read your comments. Our taster menu, served in our fine dining restaurant is designed to tantalise your tastebuds and have you leaving satisfied, however there are plenty of alternatives, at fuller portions on our a la carte menu, served both in our restaurant and conservatory. With regards to the windows, unfortunately as you identify, this would be a significant project due to the size and nature of our building and could only be carried out at off peak times. I do hope however that you were not inconvenienced too much and you had a comfortable night's sleep. I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the Golf View on your next visit to Nairn.

Huntly, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Excellent location for a weekend get away. Room - Was a large double room with every we would require, tae, coffee, water, etc. The en suite bathroom was also very spacious and very clean. The shower door did not shut properly, this was the only fault within the bedroom. Leisure Facilities - the gym was very tired and a few machines had seen better days and out of order. The swimming pool area is very nice and relaxing, one of the best leisure clubs I have seen in a hotel in a long time. The swimming pool, sauna, steam room, etc was all very clean and the changing rooms were also. The views from the swimming pool area looking onto the sea was second to none. The hot tub outside was a nice touch and just added that something special to the leisure club. Food - We had our evening meal at the hotel sitting in the conservatory which again the views onto the sea was excellent. The food was outstanding and great value for money. The experience when eating was all very relaxed and refreshing. The breakfast in the morning was also very good and lots to choose from. Although we did have to wait, wait and wait a bit more before we had to go and ask to order our cooked breakfast. There were a few areas which required a bit more attention when doing the cleaning routines though, we spotted spiders webs on a few lamp shades and some dust, but overall it was fine. Staff - All staff, from front of house, leisure club, waiting and bar saff were really friendy and helpful. Very approachable. We will definately be visiting here again and I would recommend to everyone looking for a peaceful and relaxing weekend away.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just returned from a one night spa break with a friend feeling thoroughly "chillaxed" :-) A fabulously comfortable room well equipped with armchairs, freeview TV and a bathroom you could hold a party in! The spa downstairs has a large pool from which the floor to ceiling windows allow you panoramic views down the garden and onto the Moray Firth. Between the jacuzzi, the steam room and sauna it was hard to know what to do next but once the outdoor hot tub was discovered well that was us sold!!!! Our package included a meal with wine in the lovely restaurant - scallop & black pudding canapes, goats cheese mille fuille, broccoli veloute, loin of venison with spinach & a potato rosti followed by a poached pear & vanilla ice cream! We had just enough room to 'force down' the blue cheese & oatcake taster which came with the coffee :-) Our package was excellent value, the service was superb from the moment we checked in to as we regretfully packed the car to leave and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Thank you Crerer Hotels, you are doing a great job & long may it continue.

Room Tip: I suspect we had one of the worst rooms in the hotel given the bargain of a price we paid via groupo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

The hotel facilities were excellent, clean changing rooms, warm pool and even an outdoor hot tub. We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate and the food was excellent. The hotel lounge with open fire was perfect to sit around while having pre and post dinner drinks. Situated right on the beach front made for a great post breakfast walk for fresh air. Would definitely recommend a visit.

1 Thank KeenBeanScotland
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share this excellent review following your recent stay with us here at the Golf View. I am delighted that everything appeared to have met, and perhaps even exceeded your expectations. Our location is indeed perfect for taking a leisurely stroll along the beach, and the scenery and views surrounding us are truly breathtaking, especially when relaxing in our outdoor hot tub. Our lounge area is a great space to truly relax and unwind, perfect for pre and post dinner drinks, and with the fire burning, it's cozy too. I have passed on your feedback to my team who I am sure will be equally as delighted as I am, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Nairn

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed four nights ,we had a corner,very large room,very relaxing bed and very good service overall.The view was astonishing,staff was very helpful and the food exceptional.We were really impressed by Scotish hospitality.A place we come back soon.

Room Tip: The room at the corner of first floor facing the road was fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 9 in Nairn
The Clubhouse Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
#7 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!