“Meal let it down”

Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Lovely big room with nice bathroom.
Beautician in the spa (Fran?) was delightful and went out of her way to give us appointments, manicures and massages were great.
Service in the restaurant was a little strange- manageress seemed to do a lot of walking around, but without much effect.
Food was ok- but main course (venison and potato rosti) was so salty that we couldnt eat it.
Overall, I would visit this hotel again though as the deal we got was very good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Monkeyless
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Just returned from a weekend break Golf View Hotel and Spa with my wife. The hotel itself is set in stunning location and right on the beachfront. We stayed on a dinner/bed/breakfast rate and the evening meal in the restaurant was fantastic. The 6 course menu they had on offer allowed us to sample dishes we had previously never experienced, and the staff were very friendly and attentive.Though portion sizes are on the small side the food itself is delicious.It was explained to us it was designed as a taster menu and after 6 courses we were more than satisfied. Breakfast was also very good and staff, despite appearing to be very busy still found time to give a welcoming "good morning" and smile.
The swimming pool is again set in a marvellous location with huge windows looking out over the Moray Firth.
Our room was a very good size and comfortable, and the bathroom itself was huge. All in all a thoroughly pleasant stay. A young and enthusiastic management team were a very visible presence, much improved from our previous stay and will definately visit again

1  Thank Marcus H
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We just spent a night at the Golf View Hotel & Spa. We had received our stay as a Christmas present and had looked forward to it for some time.

Generally we enjoyed it. The room was spacious and clean, food was great and spa facilities were brilliant.

The massive downside to our stay was the service, and because of how badly it let things down, I wouldn't go back to the hotel. Bar staff were unfriendly, slow and we had to go and find them on a couple of occasions. Despite it being a quiet week night the restaurant staff were ridiculously slow - on numerous occasions we had to remind them that we'd asked for something. We were offered our teas and biscuits/cheese in the lounge and went through when asked to, yet sat for half an hour waiting then had to complain. By this point the restaurant was completely empty so we asked at reception, another couple overheard and said the waitress had given it to them because she "couldn't find us", even though we'd been in the lounge the whole time. Overall we were very disappointed with the service at dinner and although breakfast was better, we still felt ignored and would definitely have grudged paying the money had we not received the stay as a present.

I am disappointed with our experience as I had planned to come back with friends next month but will now be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank sarahe85
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel during a tour of Scotland - first impressions were fantastic a stunnning hotel and our room was large, well equipped and very clean and comfortable. I would have given this hotel five stars if it had not been for the meal in the restaurant that evening. The menu was very expensive and the restaurant highly recommended, as a result we were expecting haute cuisine - unfortunately I ordered lamb which was more fat than meat and my husband had ordered fish which whilst very tasty was no better than the fish we had in Oban the previous night for half the price. The service was terrible in the restaurant and we were left to sit in a corner and ignored for the evening - my husband had to go to the bar to fetch me a drink as the waiter did not come near us for ages. I complained about the lamb at the end of the meal and although we were given a slight discount on the price of the meal it soured the stay for me. Breakfast was good in the morning but again the service was poor. Reception staff were excellent and very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your views following your recent stay here at the Golf View. I am disappointed that on the whole your dining experience soured your stay. I am somewhat surprised to read that you felt you were ignored, as following a de-brief on service that evening, looking after the guests in the restaurant that evening was our strongest member of the waiting team who is known for his attention to detail and guest service skills. As you have stated an adjustment was made on your bill to reflect your disappointed which you accepted. I am however delighted to hear that your room was fine and my team on Reception were excellent and friendly. As with all reviews I have shared these with the team, and I would like to thank you again for your comments. I can assure you that all feedback good or bad is much appreciated, and I do hope that should you return to Nairn, we could have the pleasure in welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Having read the glowing reviews of others who have stayed at the hotel recently, I have to wonder whether my wife and I fell into an inter-dimensional portal and ended up staying at an alternative Golf View Hotel & Spa.

Our room, though large and comfortable, smelled strongly of gloss paint, which had not only been used for decorating purposes, but had also been used to try and glue the windows shut

The large and well appointed bathroom had its eccentricities. The towel radiator did not look as though it was actually hooked up to a power source, which made hanging your damp towels on them something of a pointless exercise. The light fitting in the shower cubicle had no on-off switch that I could find, and I suspect that it wouldn't have worked anyway. The extractor fan did work, but only if you could reach the switch in the ceiling. At a shade under 6 feet tall in my bare size 11s, I could - but only just. The heated mirror did work, which is just as well, as it went some way towards counteracting the draught that seemed to emanate from behind the cistern of the WC.

Neither of these were deal breakers. We had, after all, come back because we loved the location, and had enjoyed ourselves on our previous visit. But maybe, just maybe, the breakfast tray that languished on the landing outside our room all day, might just have given us a clue as to staffing levels and attitudes.

I'll make the assumption that the woeful level of service was down to cost cutting in as much as there did not appear to be enough staff to go around. When we stay at a 4 star establishment, we do expect to be waited on. What happened all too often was that WE waited on - and on - and on -. In the restaurant, in the conservatory, in the bar. I shall remember with fondness a comment made by another guest at a particularly chaotic breakfast time, which alluded to the tardiness of service. He said, 'Oh well, that's lunch sorted then!'

I think I may have hit on the right word to sum it all up. Chaotic. Staff seemed inexperienced and poorly trained - they didn't know how to use machinery such as tills, they didn't know what they were serving - when asked what cranachan was, my wife was told by the waitress that it was popular - and facilities such as the conservatory were closed without letting guests know. Which forced us to change our dining plans on a couple of occasions, and the bit that stuck in my craw was that we were made to feel as though we were at fault, and that trying to accommodate us was a damn nuisance. During one of these enforced changes to our dinner plans, our reservation got lost in the 5 yards between the front desk and the restaurant. Said it all really.

This place has so much going for it - but would we recommend it to a friend? I might tell them to have a look at some of the deals, but otherwise, no.

We put some 900 pounds worth of business your way last week.

I suspect that will not happen again.

3  Thank John G
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your most recent stay at the Golf View. I am obviously disappointed to read some of your comments, but would have been delighted to have been able to address your issues during your stay to try and make wrongs right. As you have identified, our most recent reviews have been extremely positive, especially on areas such as staff service. We have recently had a complete turnover of staff in the food and beverage area and although they have experience elsewhere, it does take some time to become familiar with all items from each of our menus and get used to new ways of working.
I have taken on board your comments and can only assure you that we are working very hard to ensure our guests leave us comletely satisifed, anxious to return, which in the majority of cases, they do. I am disappointed that despite being invited to share your feedback with me personally during your stay and giving me the opportunity to address the issues, you left us indicating you would post your comments on Tripadvisor. I did try to contact you after your departure, but until now, I have not had a response.
I am sorry that you feel you perhaps will not return, but I do hope that you may reconsider and allow us the opportunity to demonstrate we can and will get it right.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just returned from a two night Romantic break with my Wife feeling thoroughly refreshed! Our room was amazing, well equipped, HUGE Bathroom, Fantastic view and the surprise of a 4 Poster Bed went down very well with my Wife. Great selection of channels on the freeview.

We really enjoyed spending time in the perfect temperature pool with stunning views, jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam room. So often facilities like this are broken but all were working Very well. I must admit that one of the highlights for us was the roasting outdoor hot tub with open views - Bliss!

We ate in the Conservatory (both nights) who served up yummy steaks and tasty desserts. The whole place was getting redecorated so there was a nice fresh paint fragrance in all the corridors etc. From speaking with the very helpful staff there are more upgrades and renovations on the way.

I expected a good break - but we got a GREAT break. ;-)

The only Downside was having to leave. Thank you Crerer Hotels - We will be back...without a doubt.

Room Tip: For a 4 Poster, Sea View, Room 30 is Fantastic!
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed one year ago and revisited again last week. Although the management team has changed we were impressed by the youthfulness and enthusiasm of the staff from the General Manager to the Cleaners. All staff attentive ,caring and customer focused. Staff are willing to engage with you in easy conversation. Very impressed by the GM being very visible to guests and willing to help his team by leading from the front. New menu - although not the size of portions from the previous year - the quality and variety is very good. Loved to look at guests faces when the apperitive brought out ,due to size, but after six course TDH menu slowly appreciated due to choice, taste and presentation. Stayed - Dinner- |Bed and Breakfast, arranged via Easybreaks and was definetley value for money. Premises very clean and has great views along with first class leisure facilities. Only down point was the rattling windows which will need a significant investment by the Crerar Group to make perfect .All in all , a hidden gem on the moray coast. Will return again.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best views over Moray Firth
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your most recent stay with us here at the Golf View. I am delighted that we appear to have met your expectations following your stay last year. It is extremely gratifying to hear that the hard work, passion and dedication to providing our guests with genuine true Scottish hospitality is being recognised and my team are deservedly very elated having read your comments. Our taster menu, served in our fine dining restaurant is designed to tantalise your tastebuds and have you leaving satisfied, however there are plenty of alternatives, at fuller portions on our a la carte menu, served both in our restaurant and conservatory. With regards to the windows, unfortunately as you identify, this would be a significant project due to the size and nature of our building and could only be carried out at off peak times. I do hope however that you were not inconvenienced too much and you had a comfortable night's sleep. I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the Golf View on your next visit to Nairn.

Iain Fraser

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Newton Muthu Hotel
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa
Culloden House
Culloden House
#1 of 36 in Inverness

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!