“A beautiful find.”

Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed 4 May 2012

After seraching the internet for a suitable hotel near Inverness airport we booked here as 2 night DB+B and spa package was excellent and we upgraded the room to a seaview. Excellent room on 1st floor with beautiful views of sea from both bedroom and bathroom. Superficially very clean but finer detail like under bowl in sink, tiles, doily on hospitality tray needed attention but that's probably me being a little picky!
Hotel quite dated in parts but public areas spotlessly clean. Service slow at bar and waiter but well worth the wait as the food is absolutely excellent and beautifully presented. We had 7 courses for the evening meal, small portions but adaquate as variety and appearance was very special. We had lunch there also on both days and the sandwiches were brilliant value and these were enormous.
The pool area is lovely with seaviews again. Have a large outdoor hot tub with garden and seaview again....just missed the champagne!!
Minimal staff around and although all very pleasant not very attentive. Eg. ordered tea in pool area and after 40 minutes gave up waiting and went back to room and had one there, nobody around to ask either.
The dutch lady I had for my spa treatment was friendly and just the best therapist I had ever had. She was thorough and often on these spa breaks you can feel rushed and unpersonal but we had probably longer than our alloted time and she was very professional.
Overall excellent and relaxing stay and in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Definately worth £30/ngt extra for a seaview as I don't think these is much of a view at all on...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us here at the Golf View. On the whole an excellent review, although I am disappointed to note some lapses in service, which I will discuss with my supervisory team immediately. Our outdoor hot-tub is an excellent feature and is very popular with our guests and leisure members, however for your safety, unfortunately we are not permitted to serve alcohol prior to and during your use of the facility. I have passed on your fantastic comments to Wilma, our head therapist who is of course delighted that you enjoyed your treatments. Again, thank you for your review and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Golf View should you return to the area in the future.

Iain Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was away with my wife for a romantic weekend and by dear did this hotel deliver, from the moment we arrived to the,moment we left it was awesome. the general manager was always around and the waiting staff Rachel and John I believe were terrific and the good was simply Devine especially the fillet steak and the pepper sauce I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a beautiful setting with really genuine staff.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank lochlover
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I was booked into the hotel for a hen day at the spa along with 12 other people, when we arrived at reception we were told the spa was flooded but not to worry because other arrangements had been made...this was not the case, we were given the use of a conservatory area where we had to wait most of the day while others were off getting "treatments" I cant speak for anyone who had a massage but the manicure was beyond dissapointing, we were given complementary chanpange at the start of the day and only when we asked were we given the use of a suite for a more private area. At no point during the day was there an offer of an apology or staff approching us to offer drinks or ask if we needed anything, I completely understand that the situation was out with the hotels control but surely an apology should have been given along with a little effort to make our day more enjoyable, especially considering the hotel didnt try to contact us until 10.30am when they knew the situation at 8.30am, having travelled 80 miles to get there we could hardly turn back or arrange another day as it was a hen weekend! A member of the party asked about a discount on the package at the beginning of the day which was responded to by "something will be worked out" at the end of the day when going to pay at reception there was no discount offered, infact we were meet with rude and difficult staff who werent helpful in any way. The management then proceeded to say that we had already been given a discount as the original price was £69 per person and we had been quoted £50 per person, this was never discussed on booking so in our eyes no discount was given as the orginal price was £50. The management dont seem to understand that they could have potentially ruined what was meant to be a relaxing and enjoyable spa day for a hen weekend, a gesture of offering a small discount considering the circumstances is all that was needed, instead 12 customers came away from the hotel unhappy and dissapointed and will never use the hotel again or recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank kaye195
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Guest

Disappointing to see that you felt the need to post another review following your spa day last weekend. Following the first review I responded highlighting the version of events I recall from the day in question, and feel this posting only again paints a picture far from reality. Let me reiterate that we did everything we could given the unfortunate circumstances we were presented with, and my staff were more than accommodating, and numerous apologies were made.Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Definition of poor customer service = The Golf View Hotel and Spa!
I was booked into the hotel for a spa day along with 12 other friends. Upon arrival we discovered that the hotel could no longer offer us a spa day due to the leisure facilities being flooded the previous night. We could however still get our treatments but this meant 'hanging' about in the conservatory all day as they had no where for us to go. Upon our suggestion they did eventually give us a suite to use for the day. Any dealings we did have with the spa staff were quite negative and everything seemed to be a hassle! Not quite the attitude required for your customers to have a relaxing experience. I opted for a manicure as I wasn't feeling in the mood for a massage and was so disappointed with the end result. What I did receive was a file and polish, not a manicure and the application of the polish was SHOCKING! I wasn't the only one to think this as a few of my friends actually stopped at Tesco on the way to Inverness to get nail polish remover and took the whole lot off! Finally the duty manager was really unsympathetic to our situation and was not prepared to offer us any discount for our poor experience. Needless to say i will not be back!

A very disappointed Stacy McGilp!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Stacy2877
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Stacy

Thank you for posting your feedback following your recent spa day here at the Golf View. Obviously I am disappointed at the content, as, in the circumstances, we did everything possible to ensure you and your party were looked after. Upon arrival you were advised that due to our lesiure facility being flooded that morning, that the facilities would be closed, however you were offered use of our outdoor hot-tub which you declined. Following complimentary Cava and drinks, we offered use of one of our sea view suites to allow you to relax and use shower facilities following your spa treatments. However, at no point were we aware of disappointment with the treatments. As I tried to explain to you the package was already discounted based on the number of guests, however you will recall that in the circumstances, I agreed to make no charge for yourself. At no point were any of my staff negative, and I can assure you nothing is a hassle for any of my team. We were presented with a challenging situation, beyond our control, and you did have the option to re-schedule, which was declined. I apologised for the inconvenience from the outset, and we acted as sympathetically as we could to all of you. I thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

My partner treated me to 3 nights B&B for my 40th birthday. We booked a sea view double and were upgraded to a 4 poster room (room 30) with the most fantastic view of the beach and Moray Firth. We did not ask for the upgrade, so it was a lovely surprise when we entered the room. The room was large and very comfortable with a generous tea tray and lovely toiletries. The only slight negative was the lack of a vanity mirror and the furnishings looked a little tired.
We chose to have B&B after reading reviews that the conservatory is a nicer space to eat in rather than the dining room on DB&B.... we are glad we did this because the conservatory is lovely and has beautiful views of the sunset. The menu is good and reasonably priced. The 1st night we had a few problems as the service was disorganised and my partners food was cold. This was rectified promptly and the waiting staff were polite and apologetic. Try the haddock and langoustine chowder!!! Delicious! The 2nd night was perfect, I had the best fillet steak I have ever tasted.
Breakfast is served in the dining room which we felt was a room that needed 'cheering up'. The decor and tables and chairs need updating. Service is a wee bit disorganised, but the food is great and again the staff are polite and friendly.
The pool and outdoor hot tub are very good, and kept very clean. As it was easter holidays there were a lot of children which was a bit noisy but we understand this cannot be helped! Local residents use the gym and pool so it gets quite busy.
Overall we enjoyed our stay, the beach is amazing and the hotel couldn't have a better location.

Room Tip: Room 30 is 4 poster and has THE best view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed for a 3 day 2 night golf weekend. Perfectly located adjacent to the sea and 2 minutes from Nairn Golf Club, friendly staff and superb breakfast. Rooms very well appointed and exceptionally clean.
Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My stay at this hotel was pretty good. The room was large, clean and relatively modern with flat screen TV and four post bed - the free WiFi was a bonus. The view from the room was nice but looked onto an old disused (presumably) tennis court. The room was quite enabling a good nights sleep.

On the negatives; the car park was too small for the number of cars requiring parking spaces - it was necessary to park on the main road on occasion. The staff seemed disinterested in providing service. I was looking to eat in the hotel restaurant one night and was told that I had to pre book a table - despite it being near empty - so I had to go into town to find a suitable restaurant. Perhaps this pre booking arrangement should be explained to guests on check in. The breakfast service was slow, near 25 mins to have breakfast order taken - the toast was cold, too.

On the whole a pretty good hotel and seems to be one of the better ones in the Nairn local, therefore would return but it was down by the standard of service.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay in March. Although on a whole it is fairly positive, I am disappointed in some of your comments, especially surrounding the service. We have recently gone through a complete turnover of staff in our food and beverage team, who share my vision and passion for service excellence and guest feedback in recent weeks has been extremely positive. We do always encourage guests to pre-book a table however, as we both of our restaurants can fill up, not only with guests but from the local area.
The tennis court in our grounds is about to be fully restored to its former glory and this will be an an excellent faciliy for hotel guest and leisure members alike.
I am however delighted to note that you will return, and I assure you that you will have a more favourable experience throughout your stay.

Iain Fraser

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Newton Muthu Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
#6 of 9 in Nairn
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!