“SPA BREAK”

Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Took my daughter for a spa break as a birthday treat as I had stayed in the hotel twice before and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a disappointment compared to previous visits. Firstly the outside hot tub was out of order and apparently had been playing up since previous week. We decided to have lunch beside the pool, ordered a chicken salad, as there are only two salads to choose from, imagine our surprise when we received a bacon salad that did not even appear on the menu !! Told reception but not that interested. Went for dinner and that was just ridiculous. The waiting staff had absolutely no experience of waiting on tables and had obviously not had the menu explained before service. No idea what the seasonal veg was or the oyster rockerfella, had to keep running into kitchen for answers. I asked for the oyster rockerfella and out came a plate of raw oysters, by the time I received the right dish my daughter was sitting ready for her main course. We had ordered steak with a sauce, 1 with chips, onion rings etc and the other for me with mash. Again big mistake, out comes mine with chips etc and neither of us had any sauce. They just didn't seem to be taking in what we were asking for. Half the steak was gone by the time the sauce came. The waiter came over and said "is that you,s all done now" Retired for the evening feeling less than happy. Decided to go for a swim etc after breakfast the next morning. Got down to the leisure centre to find there was a senior citizens aqua aerobics class going on and we would not be able to use the pool or Jacuzzi for an hour - some spa break !!!!
All in all a very disappointing time, how can a hotel go downhill that quick. It is such a shame because it is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank suilnamara
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I do recollect both yourself madam and your daughter as both of you were on a spa break.

I note the 5 stars for location, rooms, cleanliness and sleep quality and that we need to do more on the food service side.

Our apologies for the shortcomings in service it would appear that the spa menu and restaurant menu were not explained properly and your orders noted correctly. At the end of this month we have a new Food and Beverage Manager starting and his sole focus will be to improve our service standards to ensure that

With regards to the leisure club I confirm that we do have an aqua aerobics class once a week that lasts for an hour. Also I note that the hot tub was broken for 6 days whilst we awaited a new heating pump to come up from England and be installed.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

As someone in the trade 35 years ile wright an honest report How golf view is rated so low on here is their own downfall. This hotel deft could be no 1 , rooms are lovely in fact the whole place looks the part but the restaurant with this silly taster menu lets it down badly . Staff are under tremendous pressure trying to get 6 coarses out in a pact dining room, alas I could feel the tension of customers having to wait long periods of time food that did come out was still good though. Please management listen to my review get back to the basics simple small menus , will go a long way to improvement . All good hotels run this way with great success . Still love the place though come on management get yourselves back at the top of nairn rankings .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrisandjay
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Thank you for your comments and please note the following actions we are taking. In order to improve our service levels our restaurants will be open now from 6.00pm instead of 6.45pm. This will allow for a more efficient service and staggered table times. I note your comments regarding the 6 course taster menu and we are currently reviewing this across the Crerar hotel chain with a particular emphasis on content. We do offer in both restaurants a la carte menus, a lounge menu and there is also a room service menu. In this sense we can always provide alternatives should a guest require. Thank you for your comments as it has prompted some improvement changes in our service.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Lovely setting for a hotel, room although looking over the fire escape, it was a good size and had a lovely bathroom. Stayed here for a night with an elderly aunt on a dinner b. & b. package. Thought I would treat her to a nice hotel! The dinner menu was called a taster menu and although I have experienced these in other hotels and enjoyed them, this time it hit an all time low. The tastes were ok, but the whole quantity of the meal would not amount to a single course. The cheese course consisted of 1/4 inch of cheese, cocktail oatcake and HALF A GRAPE! Even my elderly aunt felt unsatisfied. Good thing it wasn't hubby that was with me! According to the menu this dinner should cost £39.95, if staying here, take my advise and don't have dinner in the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently reviewing the content of the 6 course taster menu at a Group level with input from all of the hotel group's head chefs. Please watch this space.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. We had dinner in the restaurant where it was a 6 course tasting menu. The food was well presented and tasty. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The bedroom was nice with a good view of the moray firth.Overall very good.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for feedback and grading. We will be delighted to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

As a Nairn resident I have eaten in both the Links Brasserie and the more formal main restaurant on several occasions over the years. My most recent visit was on Monday 16th September to have dinner with two acquaintances who were staying at the hotel during a business trip to the north of Scotland. I had not met either person before (having communicated on-line on many occasions with one of the two), and did not know their room numbers so needed to go to the reception desk. The receptionist (a young woman) was on the telephone, but studiously avoided making any eye contact with me or acknowledging my presence in any way - very off-putting and hardly 'welcoming'. After about 3 or so minutes of being ignored, I spotted a man (obviously a hotel guest) walking down the stairs and we made eye contact and ended up asking each other if he was 'x' and I was 'y' and soon after his colleague, who had been waiting in the bar, appeared and we talked about where we might go to eat. At first we thought of the main restaurant (someone from the restaurant "greeted" us), but on being informed that what was being served was a '6 course tasting menu' (no mention of an 'a la carte'[?], curiously) we decided that was too much to eat and would probably take too long anyway, so decided to go to the Brasserie to save time by not going out of the hotel to eat, as we planned to have a post-dinner meeting at my home to discuss an important matter; it was perfectly obvious, too, that in the relatively-empty restaurant an effusive welcome was not being extended to us by staff. The Brasserie has a few people in it, but felt rather empty. The young waiter suggested pleasantly enough a few tables we might sit at and we chose one. Service was rather slow and low-key, but eventually our orders were taken. We each had a starter and a main and coffee to finish (no dessert, so cannot comment). My goat's cheese starter was nicely presented and was pretty good. Similarly my chicken Caesar salad was quite good and pretty copious. The other two had rack of lamb and duck breast respectively for their mains and seemed to think they were quite good, if uninspiring. It took quite a while for the bill to come and indeed it was only as we were leaving that staff stirred themselves into producing this. In summary, we had a perfectly pleasant meal, but probably none of the three of us would be rushing back if two had not been staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Speaking to my two companions, they described their rooms are very nice, but very old-fashioned, als...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bill C

Thank you for your feedback. I have discussed your comments with our reception team as it takes little to smile and be welcoming. We are under taking further training of our restaurant staff and will shortly have a new Food and Beverage Manager on board who will increase our service and standards.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at the Golf View and the whole experience could not be faulted.
The sea-view room was lovely plus the food and service were excellent.
The Staff were attentive without being intrusive. I know that the Hotel has had some problems of late, but as far as we are concerned, that was not obvious.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jill g

Thank you for your kind words and feedback which I will share with the team at the Golf View Hotel and Spa.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

On waiting 20 minutes for our g&t it arrived with no lemon, we asked for some and it never arrived. We had canopes which were drizzled
in lemon, I would have preferred mine with the g&t... I do not like lemon with my food and there was no mention of lemon on the menu. The main course was outstanding, however we cannot comment on the dessert or cheese as we tired of waiting. We will not be eating here again and would not recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda B
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I will look into the points raised concerning your drinks presentation and garnish with your meal.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Newton Muthu Hotel
Braeval Hotel
Braeval Hotel
#4 of 9 in Nairn
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!