“Unhappy Customers”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Huntly Aberdeenshire
“Unhappy Customers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Firstly I was shocked at the receptionist , she looked very miserable , she hardly spoke, we had to ask her where breakfast was and where the swimming pool and gym were.
Also we had our breakfast in the morning and I was appalled at the portion size. The cooked breakfast should of had a couple more things on the plate. My mum had the fish and egg and it looked awful , it was so small my 3 year old son would of ate it and more!!
But I do have to say the swimming pool , gym and hot tub was amazing. We all felt so relaxed and chilled. It was my mum and sisters joined birthday treat.
The staff at breakfast and down at the swimming pool were first class. Very friendly, welcoming and happy.
On our departure again we spoke to the same receptionist. She was very rude and never ask how our stay was or asked if everything was ok , nothing!! She handed us our bill and said thanks. Not even hope to see you again or thank you for staying with us. Very shocked. Not good enough for a 4 star hotel!!! Was thinking about coming back and having treatments done aswell but I think we should look else where.
Not a happy customer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

As we have communicated separately you will know that we are taking remedial action concerning the receptionist mentioned.

Further as mentioned separately we are always happy to provide additional items at breakfast to our guests.

Our apologies again for the shortcomings in our usual service or standards.

Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

this is our 3rd trip to the golf view , this time I was bringing my elderly mother & disabled brother both of whom have mobility problems , I asked for rooms next to each other & our rooms were excellent room 52 & 54 , my mum has to be put on a ventilator at bed time & the only sockets next to bed were round fittings the hotel maintenances man was very helpful & sorted us out after trying his best to source an adopter in the local area which he couldn't get he put an extension cable round room tucked in so that there were no trip hazards ..... on the second night of our stay we were waiting on the lift when the fire alarm went off , I had no choice other than to return my mother & brother to their room & processed down the stairs from our third floor rooms & on doing this found the staff & guests in the car park & the food manager at the fire alarm at door entrance presumingly trying to reset it , a young boy was given a reflector bib with fire warden on it & foil blankets to give out , I had to ask what was going on & point out that I had had to leave my mum & brother in their rooms so needed to know NOW I was told it was all ok & that the smoke from the oven in kitchen had set it off ... I would recommend that there is further training in what to do in any fire Alarm ! if everyone had to be evacuated then they ALL should have been, even when I heard a member of staff say everyone is out more residents came out some time later & obviously there were 2 people in room 52 & the staff knew of their disability's had this been a real fire I think there would have been serious problems & I did point this out & stated this to the reception staff & food manager who was the one trying to sort alarm ........ also I hope our feed back with regard the taster menu has been fed back to head office ? ... think it is time the hotel sorted this out after reading other reviews it appears i am not alone in thinking this , there are 3 taster menus rotated & off these there was only one I could eat & only then if the duck was changed to chicken & i certainly wasn't going to have that for four nights , the manager agreed a compromise , but I really had to push for this , think perhaps its time to do what other establishments do & give a designated amount to spend in restaurant for food only & any excess put on bill as a posed to the ridiculous supplement which only those on company expenses would agree to .... on the Wednesday there is a test fire alarm & the maintenance man came to the room to tell me this was going to happen as he appreciated the difficulty we had experienced when the actual alarm had been activated ...... breakfast in the morning was a constant asking event butter sugar milk toast , we eventually just got our milk from main table sugar from other tables & even butter from other tables as asking waiting & getting were too time consuming , on one morning I asked for taost & fried egg when this came the egg had obviously been cooked some time before & kept warm it was not what I wanted or expected presuming it would be made fresh so pointed this out so the waitress took it back & retuned with a fried on a tiny wee cup saucer and placed this in front of me & said oh perhaps I should have put it on a plate i pointed out this egg was the same as the other & asked for a fresh cooked Egg , after a wait I got a fresh cooked fried egg on toast on a normal sized plate not a difficult request i would have thought ???? not that age is important but the waitress was a mature women who should have saw that plating up a replacement egg on a cup saucer with an equally poor quality egg is not on ....The hotel is in an excellent setting & has wonderful views but there are equally good views from numerous b&b's in the area so for the price really must not depend only on the views carrying them along ,

Room Tip: any room with a sea view is a must regardless of weather it is relaxing looking out of the window
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having travelled last week with my wife to Nairn for a couple of days, i was very happy to have stayed at the golf view hotel once again. The building doesn't seem to have changed at all since we were here last winter, but the weather was better! We had dinner in the restaurant both nights and although the service seemed a little slow on both nights, the food was excellent and the service was good. We weren't in any rush so we were happy with the small wait. We then went in to the bar where we were greeted by Dave, who we remembered from our last visit, and he remembered us!! Last time he gave us winter prices for one of the local golf courses, which I played again last week, while my wife visited the leisure club and spa within the hotel, which she said was fantastic. Both mornings we were spoiled for choice at breakfast. Cooked breakfast to order, plus a continental breakfast buffet, Kerry was our waitress at breakfast and we were both sure that she was serving when we stayed previously. It's good to see that a hotel can retain it's staff these days.
One minor point that i would make is that i don't think you should be interrupted in the middle of your dinner to sign a receipt for a drink that you've ordered. Other than that, keep up the good work Golf View. We shall hopefully see you next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your excellent feedback and for choosing to come back year after year. I shall pass on your compliments to the staff and in particular to Kerry and Dave. We look forward to seeing you again.
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

First impressions of the hotel were "this is really nice,might want to come for a weekend break"
However on this occasion we were a party of 11 who had booked a lunch for a family gathering.I had booked by telephone and requested a Soup and Sandwiches lunch. My fault but at a 4 star hotel I did not specify a choice of soup, there was no choice.Sandwiches arrived clumsily cut ,on 3 plates no garnish, presentation conspicuous by its absense to say the least.
Again I take some responsibility here because I had not specified a varied selection of sandwiches but all the sandwiches were meat with very little or nothing besides meat on bread. All this for £11.95 a head.Did I complain on the day? No. Because of the nature of the occasion it was not appropriate to cause fuss.Will we return for that w/e break, doubtful.
Will we return for that weekend break? Doubtful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Creview2013
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. I can confirm that we do operate a soup of the day and can accommodate specific requests for others if advised in advised as all of our food is freshly prepared. Similarly we have a range of sandwiches on offer and can incorporate a variety of special requests above the choices on our lounge menu. Thank you.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

During our stay at the hotel we were given the perfect service. Your food and beverage manager was very attentive. The barman Jon was also very hospitable, showing a fine confidence with the cocktails he made for us. Thanks for a lovely stay, we shall definetly be returning.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your very positive feedback. I will pass on your comments to our new Food and Beverage manager and our barman Jon. Thank you again.
Nairn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

myself and my friend were looking somewhere different to go for a meal so tried the golf view, we had been told it was okay but the staff were unhelpful and untrained, we could hear constant shouting from what must have been the kitchen, their menu was unappealing and their food overcooked. When we eventually decided to complain we had it thrown back in our faces with the answer "yes we'll I can't help you." Our waitress must have been a new start as she was so unorganised and rude, will never be returning there again, if you are looking for a good place to eat the the bandstand is the place to go.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Neve S
Thank you for your review. Our apologies that you felt our service and food did not meet your expectations.
glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We booked this short break via 5pm.com and had a lovely peaceful holiday. Our room although looking onto the car park was more than adequate, large with a settee and lounge chair in addition to the usual hotel bedroom furniture. Our experience seemed to be much better than previous reviewers. The first person we saw when we entered the hotel was who I now believe must have been the newly appointed manager and although I thought he was another guest as he was not on duty at that time, he greeted us warmly and I thought "what a nice man". The other staff were equally helpful and pleasant. I have to agree with some of the other reviewers re the taster meal. Who would pay nearly £33 for this small meal? Although it was nice and did fill us up adequately it was still not worth that amount. Can I also mention the cost of a packet of crisps sold in the bar was £1.20!!!! I would advise guests to bring your own snacks. Overall a nice holiday and would go back again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your feedback and would hope to see you back at the Golf View soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 9 in Nairn
The Clubhouse Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
#7 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!