“Not so restful.....” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Not so restful.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Having just returned from a romantic spa break with a severely sore back, I would rate this hotel much. Let me explain we booked for a two night break with groupon , yes it seemed like a good deal. Having arrived and checked in , no information received form the reception as to what was available in the hotel eg meals , spa etc, we made our way to the room 11, we were told to take a lift to the first floor lift had an out of order notice on it. I did overhear her tell other guest that she keeps forgetting its out of order. The room looked ok, was spacious enough for what we needed, warm had all u would require, water tea coffee ect. We unpacked showered changed went to go for dinner, we ended up in the bar menu seemed ok so we decided to stay, ordered ten mims later we wee told what we ordered was not available , ok we hastily made another selection. I was intrigued that the bar man was huffing and puffing, clashing glasses about and generally making a dreadful noise, I thought there must be fifty people in the place!! There were 5.... I'm not sure why he seemed stressed but it didn't look good and made me feel uncomfortable during my SANDWICH ...anyway retired to bed, at first I thought the bed seemed soft and wonky. I can't explain , neither less I was very tired, so bedded down for the night. Hardly slept there was a massive gap under the door that the outside light shone through and the bed seemed to move.hard every movement of I suspect the security guy checking the floors at regular intervals.
Woke in the morning both of us with sever sore backs, this we put down to the bed being soft.
Breakfast in my position was disgusting , we both ordered poached egg and bacon, it arrived 2 eggs and half a rasher of bacon, toast arrived ten mins before so was cold. Eat first egg it was ok, second egg, burst and was full of liquid stuff.... It was disgusting. Anyway after a day walking n spa before I went to bed that night I waned to check out the bed base,,,, that's when I noticed the bed was in fact broken, the base was sinking away from the headboard there was a massive gap, the whole floor was sinking in the middle. We had no choice but to try n sleep. It was impossible, I could feel myself sliding down the bed. Again another night no sleep, the gap under he door letting the light in the slant in the bed , the movement outside the door in the corridor , it. Was horrific. Breakfast the following morning was not better.
I did complain to the same receptionist when checking out , who informed me that had she known she wouldn't have put us in that room...this is my dilemma... Did we get a rubbish room cause of the groupon offer ?? I believe so, and would be interested in the managements views.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jomacferg
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I note that you were unhappy with you bed and meals in particular. If ever a guest has a compliant then please make us aware at the very soonest opportunity so that we can do something then and there to rectify. I can assure no matter how you book all guests are equal.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed here with some friends. Rooms were large and fairly comfortable (beds felt a little tired). Spa facilities were good and treatments were nice.

We had lunch there on arrival and unfortunately the service was pretty bad (took so long that 2 members of my party basically ended up missing lunch as they had spa appointments) and the food was adequate at best.

We had little hope for dinner (which we were already booked in for and didnt feel like we could cancel) and it turned out to be the absolute opposite experience. The service was impeccable and the food from the taster menu was delicious. It was hard to believe that it was the same place! Same high standards repeated at breakfast so I presume lunch was just a blip.

Would happily go back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mlohara
Thank you for your feedback and overall we are glad that your experience was a good one. I have picked up the point regarding lunch service with our Food and Beverage Manager.
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Last year we visited the hotel for lunch whilst travelling through Nairn. My memory was the hotel being impressive and the food good but we had to wait for it and finding someone to take our order in the first place and then to pay the bill to was hard. So when passing through at the beginning of the week we decided to go for dinner at the hotel. Tired and very hungry we arrived before 7pm, there were no other diners and one other couple ordering drinks in the bar before their dinner. We stood in the bar at the sign saying wait to be seated for what was half an hour perhaps. During which time the barman completely ignored us and no other staff appeared. It was downright rude. In the end We tired of waiting and walked out and went to another restaurant. Why is the service non existent in this hotel? Why are there very little staff who ignore you? We won't be back again. It's a disgrace.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mathanrudhach
Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for the barman who did not see that you were waiting in the Conservatory for a table. It sounds like there has been some confusion as bar meals are available all day in the bar lounge.
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Our second visit to the golf view in Nairn Scotland, Wonderful place to go, You have sue who waits on at your table , There Edward ,On the bar plus tables , & Sophie & her team who looks after your room on 2nd floor , plus many more , who do A Wonderful job , making sure your holiday is just perfect , We had 8 days with a Seaview room , looking out at sea, & on one wonderful surprising day we were watching the Dolphins !! We took our small dog pixie , walk's along the beach People in Nairn are the friendly I have come across !! On one morning the sea had just gone out we let our small yorkshire terries of her lead , She saw a bird & ran after it & fell in to some very deep puddle , I at to jump in to get her , we were so wet, By the time we got of the beach , This perfect Gentleman was walking over with a towel , For pixie !! The service is just wonderful at this hotel , Its A Must !! You visit like we did , You go home feeling so relaxed !!

Room Tip: Room 30 !! so you can watch the Dolphins !!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback and the photo too. There are not many places where you see dolphins swim by. Fortunately the Golf View Hotel and Spa is one such venue. I will thank the team members personally who made your stay enjoyable.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

BOOKING;
Simple to book through the Crerar website. £140 each for 2 night spa break, based on DBB, full access to leisure facilities and 3 taster spa treatments. We paid £30 pn extra to upgrade to a seaview room, which was well worth it.
LOCATION AND CHECK IN;
Easy to find in Nairn. About 30 minute drive from Inverness. Beware rush hour traffic on the A96! Check in was a breeze.
ROOM;
Our seaview room (51) was lovely. Tartan soft furnishings were very comfy, and the window seat was a lovely addition. Bed was very soft and luxurious. Tea and coffee tray lacking, just breakfast tea and one packet of shortbread - disappointing.
Bathroom was nice but CONSTANTLY LUKEWARM SHOWER is a major pitfall. I have seen this mentioned in reviews previously. It is unacceptable to have a lukewarm hot water supply in a Scottish winter!
WIFI;
Free wifi with good coverage of the entire building - FANTASTIC.
FOOD;
Breakfast is a simple but adequate cold buffet (cereal, fruit, mini crossiants, yogurts), but no cold meat or cheese. Hot choices are wide and varied, including a full Scottish breakfast, haddock, smoked salmon, French toast with bacon or eggs Benedict. I tried the eggs Benedict- which was tasty but a half muffin was a tiny portion.
Dinner was a 6 course tarting menu (this comes included in the DBB rate). Fantastic quality of food. And the six courses were minimal enough as to not be too filling. The 'demitasse' of 'velouté' were exceptionally good. I didn't enjoy the main courses: overcooked salmon and dry venison were disappointing low points of an otherwise impressive meal.
LEISURE FACILITIES;
lovely pool with a good selection of loungers. Sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tub are lovely features. Outdoor hot tub is especially nice.
SPA;
We enjoyed our included treatments, in a professional and relaxed environment.
BEACH;
The hotel is set on the seafront, with a gate directly from the gardens to the promenade. Lovely views and a nice bracing walk.

OVERALL I loved the hotel and would definitely book again.
The high pints were definitely the evening meals, outdoor hot tub and free wifi.
Low points were the LUKEWARM SHOWER.
I'd come back!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Abs140
Thank you kindly for your feedback and excellent award.We have just installed a new boiler thermostat and timer and this should help regulate our water temperature throughout the hotel. I note that you will be back and we look forward to welcoming you.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Booked a last minute deal at the golf view. The room was nice and clean just a shame my bed squeaked every time I moved! The 6 course taster menu was a lovely treat. Service a bit hit and miss. Had to hunt for barman more that once! The spa area was great and spent a lovely afternoon there! Sitting outside in hot tub looking at sea was lovely even in January! Had a massage to finish a perfect afternoon well worth the money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane1031990
Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are delighted to here that you enjoyed your stay. I will pick up with our Food and Beverage reference the bar service.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Booked this by easy breaks and the booking was 2 hrs before we arrived.
Turned up to great welcome and shown the room. After we checked things out went to the pool area and had a nice swim the pool and rest area a great very clean area. Found out there was a hot tub outside so had to try. This was a first for me and really enjoyed it. Well worth a visit booked a head neck and back massage for day after. This was a perfect end to a long day walking Nairn beach. The food taster menu was very good as well and the food was excellent . If one thing to complain about was the lack of staff catering as some were in the Resturant and some elsewhere also the bar man was doing two or three jobs and wasn't at the bar most of the time. But overall very good hotel and brilliant facilities Well done all involved we will be back soon

We

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joecrozot
Thank you very much for your excellent feedback. The outdoor hot tub is a favourite of many guests even those that brave the snow that can fall. Thank you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
Kingsmills Hotel
Kingsmills Hotel
#8 of 34 in Inverness
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,603 reviews

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!