“Lovely Hogmany”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hogmany”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I had a lovely time at Hogmany this year! We decided to try something different, me and my friends ditched the Husbands and had a girls night away! We had a lovely meal followed by great entertainment. All the staff were amazing and the atmosphere was great. It was the best New year I have had in a long time!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Wigan
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Lovely hotel, very clean and modern with bright furnishings. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Beds very comfy and room nice and dark with blackout blinds plus curtains. Breakfasts were lovely for two out of our 3. It would seem there is a change of staff on a Sunday and the service and food was not as good as our other 2. All in all though a very pleasant stay. Got a bargain on hotels.com and only paid £120 for 3 nights B&B (normally £300).

Room Tip: Room 7 was a suite with a separate living and bedroom. Very nice! Sign up for hotels.com alerts to g...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Newtonhill, Scotland
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed at the Clubhouse last weekend and were allocated a luxury double rooom in the Garden Wing. The room had recently been refurbished to a very high standard was spotlessly clean and had an extremely comfortable bed and sofa and a huge wall mounted TV. We have been in lots of rooms where the hairdryer is either underpowered or located away from the dressing table or a suitable mirror, so my wife was delighted to see that there was a power point right beside the dressing table mirror with a good quality hairdryer provided.

There was plenty of choice for hot drinks with tea, coffee, decaf coffee and hot chocolate provided. Our room also had an iron and ironing board. The towels in the bathroom were were thick and fluffy. The only drawback we found (as is the same with most over bath showers) was that the floor ended up soaked after a shower but a bathmat is provided so it's not a huge issue.

There was lots of choice available at breakfast. You can select what you want for cooked breakfast from an extensive list of ingredients.

All of the staff we met were very friendly and courteous, the free WiFi was an added bonus and we'd have no hesitation in returning to or recommending the Clubhouse.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rush2112
Inverness, Scotland
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My father purchased a Hogmanay evening for myself and my wife. We had come 'home' for Christmas and New year from China and he wanted to offer my wife her first experience of a Scottish New Year.
The offfered deal included a five course meal with live entertainment, dancing and a toast to the New Year.
The menu was changed for a take it or leave it affair,as we arrived that evening. This was a poor substitution of the booked meal, but a 10% discount was offered if we returned during the month of January.
The entertainment included a live performer who was very good, however the disco did not include any Scottish dancing at all. This was another disappointment, we had been particularly looking forward to the dancing having attended a Scottish wedding only the previous year.
Overall a poor reflection of what could have been. We will not be returning to this establishment and would not recommend it for any function.
We did not make use of the hotels other facilities.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Bazzanyx
Scotland
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Unfortunately, as a patron, who worked for this establishment under its former owners, many years ago, i can only express my utter disappointment in the service i recieved when dining out with a friend, especially since knowing that if i had dared leave the bar unattended i would have been reprimanded

We waited the best part of 10 minutes at the bar to be issued menu's. while the DM in a green jacket kept her back to us, as did the waiting/bar staff. there was no, "sorry, i will be with you in a minute" or any other sort of apology for the ignorance. The bar was not busy , and we selected a table at the end of the bar closest to what was formerly the sun lounge. i got up to get drinks, and again had to stand at the bar...waiting and waiting , while there was no one there. I then had to go out to reception, where DM in Green Jacket, was sitting...and had to request service. this is not on. She came through, while i stood waiting to collect the drinks she was pouring, (right in front of me), when she loaded the drinks onto a tray and picked up the tray, walked out the bar, and PAST ME, to my table, without so much as a word...no, "have a seat, i'll bring them over", what the hell was i standing there for!!
Then we eventually managed to order, I had a steak which was lovely. and my friend had chicken which was also demolished.

Congratulations to the Chefs, as they are clearly the only reason that anyone bothers going to the Clubhouse, good food, good portions, great presentation and timeous delivery.

It took nearly half an hour of having empty plates before they were cleared, we werent offered any thing else, we had to ask for the desert menu, had to ask for teas and coffees.

We yet again had to go find the DM in the Green Jacket so we could pay our bill as the Blue T Shirt waiting/bar staff were nowhere to be found, and yet again Green Jacket was plonked at reception, where no one was, rather than in the unattended bar, where i was waiting beside another customer who was waiting on service also. appalling. no tip left for service. just appalling.

I feel bad for writing such a scathing review, but if it kicks management into touch with regards to implementing new service standards then my bad experience will not be in vain.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank KERI1229
Cental Scotland
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I had a great time when I stayed here with my wife. I had some work to do in the area so had a look for a hotel and found this lovely hotel. I was originally booked in for 2 nights and the only pity was I only stayed 1 after my work commitments changed! Such a friendly welcome awaits, all the staff here were lovely. Got chatting a wee bit to the owners at the bar who were very nice and gave us a bit of background to the hotel. Rooms were lovely, spacious, bright, nice big tv which I love and also very clean. We had dinner in the hotels lounge bar, in one word awesome! We both had homemade soup to start then had the chicken dish for mains, I've had meals in some high end eateries and this food was up there, for 'bar food' I'd say quality was exceptional. I really recommend a visit here, I know I'll be back! Thank you owners.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank girders
Central Scotland
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Lovely hotel,stayed here for 3 nights at end of Oct.and couldnt have been happier.
Spacious clean rooms,excellent friendly service,and great value.
Would reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends