“Style over substance; this is a busy bar/restaurant for locals.”

The Clubhouse Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel is in a residential street, based in a beautiful old mansionhouse. It has been decorated in a very modern style -all candy colours and US imagery (NY skylines, pictures of Marilyn Monroe etc). It has a bit of a boutique hotel feel. I'd have given some stars for it's style but really I think it's just odd having this kind of american styling in a highland region -what on earth would american tourists make of it? I got the impression that the Clubhouse is a bright place for locals to go and eat/drink and the hotel aspect was an afterthought.

There are some rooms in the main building, but also out back in a modern extension attached to the building, each room with it's own front door accessed from the courtyard/carpark. The reviewer who commented on being in a goldfish bowl must have been in one of these. These rooms are at ground level with diners in the conservatory being able to see in, as can those people milling about the carpark. The walls for these rooms are paper thin. I was initially offered one of these but declined when I realised I could hear every word that was being said in the kitchens, in the carpark etc, and to get any privacy I was going to have to pull down the black out blinds and sit in the dark with the lights on prematurely. I was offered another room outdoors which had the same issues, before being offered a room in the main building. This room was fine and I was tired and pissed off by this point so accepted...only to realise it was directly above the busy bar and again had paper thin walls such that I "enjoyed" both the sounds from the bar/restaurant and that of my neighbours having sex until gone 2am. There was a ridiculous moment when I could hear them having a conversation about the conversation I'd just had with my husband about overhearing them.

When the noise levels finally dropped (bar closed and after closing cleaning etc done) I might have managed some sleep except 1) I was starving by this point 2) the beds are harder than stone.

The reason I was starving was that there is no room service. At least not what you might traditionally consider room service as a single business traveller -get to your room, phone an order, get some work done. There are no phones in the room and you have to go to the public bar to order. I tried that -noone served me, I gave up.

It's perhaps just as well there are no phones in the rooms as there is noone to answer them if you rang. On each occasion I had cause to go to reception there was noone there, and a bit of wait for someone to happen to be passing and notice your presence. There's no bell.

I got the impression that staff didn't really understand why I was disappointed in the rooms I was offered, disappointed by the noise level and disappointed by the lack of room service. I think they were all blinded by the style of the hotel, in the way that a bunch of 20 year olds (as they exclusively seemed to be) who have never had to travel much for work, would be. The morning I left the member of staff on reception looked at me as though I'd poo'd in the sink, such was the horror of receiving any negative comments on this establishment.

If you are a single traveller looking for easy, comfortable and perhaps even anonymous convenience, this is not the hotel for you. To be honest, I'm not sure who this hotel is for -the bar and restaurant were the focus and didn't seem to sit well alongside accomodation for residents.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Simplecreature

Reviewed 21 July 2012

Our room was comfortable, well presented and clean - bonus of a docking station for the husband's i-phone and a hairdryer that isn't stuck to the inside of a drawer as in most hotels x A lovely bay window overlooked the quiet residential street. There was a relaxed feel to the hotel with all staff courteous and friendly receiving a warm welcome on arrival. Our evening meal and breakfast were both enjoyed - thank you chef!
ps - we would go back to this hotel x

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We were booked in for three nights bed & breakfast.
The room was very comfortable and clean. However we felt as though we were in a goldfish bowl as the bay window in room 1 was facing the neighbours houses at the rear plus other side on bedrooms. I have no doubt that net curtains would resolve this problem but may not fit in with the modern decor of this hotel?
Breakfast on the first morning was not up to an acceptable standard. The requested crispy bacon was only lightly grilled but was also very salty. The butter was off and had to be replaced and the buffet table was void of many of the starters until we and others asked for the items to be replenished. After this we didn't feel confident in dining in the hotel at night so ate elsewhere. Breakfast on the following two days was acceptable.
The staff were helpful. However, the bedside light bulb was never replaced having been promised on the first morning of our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed 8 June 2012

one of the best hotels we have been too for a long time. great staff, hospitable, compasionate, ( we had just had some bad news from our doctor) liz thank you. the room was great, the food fantastic. great value all round.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john w
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Just back from a 2 night groupon deal at this great hotel. Fantastic! My husband has M.S. and trying to get somewhere suitable is a nightmare. He has limited mobility and uses a wheelchair most of the time. They even opened the dining room doors so that he would not have to walk round to the front.( he tries to be as independant as possible)From the minute we made enquiries at the hotel we just knew it would tick all the boxes. Room was well laid out and large bathroom with walk in shower with chair and lots of handrails. Very bright, modern and spacious.Food was superb and the staff so helpful and sociable. We were not made to feel like 2nd class citizens as we had been on a previous groupon deal. The owner asked us if we were enjoying it and was there anything else we needed . So different from our last "mine host" Nothing was too much trouble for them. Only a five minute walk/ wheel from the beach and Nairn itself was wheelchair friendly too. We certainly would go back again even if no groupon deal was available. We so enjoyed our break and would recommend it it anyone. Thank you Clubhouse.

Room Tip: Check out trip advisor and contact the hotel direct. We did this and they could not have been more...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

One of the most hospitable inns I've ever visited. The owner, Collin, drove us down the street to the golf course and picked us up after. The staff was excellent. We arrived late and were starving and the cook was gone but they made us a stew to tide us over. The food was great. You could tell they've made a lot of improvements to the building. New windows, paint, carpets and remodeled bath. Very charming.

Room Tip: Room 16 was very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helodriver2000
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The owner, Collin, was very friendly, gracious and helpful. He made excellent recommendations. He drove some of our golfers to the golf course and always accessibe.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends