“Good venue for golfing holiday” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clubhouse Hotel

The Clubhouse Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Melbourne, Australia
“Good venue for golfing holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed as a single traveller and was given a single room on request. The decor was a bit overdone but good food in the restaurant and the breakfast excellent. Staff were busy but There was a lovely lady serving breakfast who thoughtfully brought me a newspaper as I was eating alone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MCMelb_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We had the pleasure of staying 4 nights at The Clubhouse Hotel between July 21 - 25. Room #3 was terrific, it was quiet and staff was very friendly and helpful. On the evening of our first night we decided to stay and eat at the restaurant - we never ate any where else - food was terrific (both breakfast & dinner.) I (we) highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Room #3 was on the corner and very bright.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Took my family up to Narin for four days .
We have never been here before and knew nothing of the hotel but took a chance as it looked good on the internet.
On arrival it looked a very nice hotel in nice surroundings with well maintained gardens and floral displays.
Inside was no different clean and tidy and very smart .
My wife and I were in room three which is large and newly decorated , my sons were in room 6 which was a good size clean and very smart .
Both rooms had large screen televisions and internet access.
We ate in the bar on the first night and had a great meal the sea bass was amazing well presented and really tastey.
We also ate in the orchid restaurant the following evening which was a pleasant experience great food and service.
On the third night we ate out in the town which was ok but returned to eat in the hotel for our last night as we had great meals and service not to mention the Hoegaarden wheat beer that they have on draught it's now my favorite.
There is also a magnificent golf course at the bottom of the road by the sea which is 5 minutes walk although we never had to walk down with our clubs as the owner took us down in his car.
We will be back great hotel and great value.
And a big thank you from our family to the staff who made our stay a great one.

• Stayed July 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Myself and partner visited clubhouse Nairn. The hotel has recently been refurbed and it is truly outstanding. We are from Edinburgh and you expect a certain standard from hotels, we could not believe that hotels like this existed in small towns? On arrival the hotels frontage is impressive, ample parking to rear and warm welcome from professional reception staff. The decor in the bar and restaurant was really impressive, this place has style in shovelfuls. Someone has taken this hotel right into the 21st century with 60inch plasma screens showing sky sports, mostly golf and racing. The rooms were again much more than we were expecting, the standard could easily be 5 star with monogrammed towels, power showers and widescreen flatscreen tv's recessed into the Walls. The bed was HUGE, iit had to have three pillows to cover the width. The hotel has it's own restaurant as well where they serve up true restaurant quality food, again 10 out of 10! The food is traditional with a modern touch. Couldn't fault it, it was excellent and plenty of choice. I will be returning to clubhouse Nairn most definitely! Perhaps in the winter months for a chrijstmas treat!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel is in a residential street, based in a beautiful old mansionhouse. It has been decorated in a very modern style -all candy colours and US imagery (NY skylines, pictures of Marilyn Monroe etc). It has a bit of a boutique hotel feel. I'd have given some stars for it's style but really I think it's just odd having this kind of american styling in a highland region -what on earth would american tourists make of it? I got the impression that the Clubhouse is a bright place for locals to go and eat/drink and the hotel aspect was an afterthought.

There are some rooms in the main building, but also out back in a modern extension attached to the building, each room with it's own front door accessed from the courtyard/carpark. The reviewer who commented on being in a goldfish bowl must have been in one of these. These rooms are at ground level with diners in the conservatory being able to see in, as can those people milling about the carpark. The walls for these rooms are paper thin. I was initially offered one of these but declined when I realised I could hear every word that was being said in the kitchens, in the carpark etc, and to get any privacy I was going to have to pull down the black out blinds and sit in the dark with the lights on prematurely. I was offered another room outdoors which had the same issues, before being offered a room in the main building. This room was fine and I was tired and pissed off by this point so accepted...only to realise it was directly above the busy bar and again had paper thin walls such that I "enjoyed" both the sounds from the bar/restaurant and that of my neighbours having sex until gone 2am. There was a ridiculous moment when I could hear them having a conversation about the conversation I'd just had with my husband about overhearing them.

When the noise levels finally dropped (bar closed and after closing cleaning etc done) I might have managed some sleep except 1) I was starving by this point 2) the beds are harder than stone.

The reason I was starving was that there is no room service. At least not what you might traditionally consider room service as a single business traveller -get to your room, phone an order, get some work done. There are no phones in the room and you have to go to the public bar to order. I tried that -noone served me, I gave up.

It's perhaps just as well there are no phones in the rooms as there is noone to answer them if you rang. On each occasion I had cause to go to reception there was noone there, and a bit of wait for someone to happen to be passing and notice your presence. There's no bell.

I got the impression that staff didn't really understand why I was disappointed in the rooms I was offered, disappointed by the noise level and disappointed by the lack of room service. I think they were all blinded by the style of the hotel, in the way that a bunch of 20 year olds (as they exclusively seemed to be) who have never had to travel much for work, would be. The morning I left the member of staff on reception looked at me as though I'd poo'd in the sink, such was the horror of receiving any negative comments on this establishment.

If you are a single traveller looking for easy, comfortable and perhaps even anonymous convenience, this is not the hotel for you. To be honest, I'm not sure who this hotel is for -the bar and restaurant were the focus and didn't seem to sit well alongside accomodation for residents.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Simplecreature
Aberdeenshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Our room was comfortable, well presented and clean - bonus of a docking station for the husband's i-phone and a hairdryer that isn't stuck to the inside of a drawer as in most hotels x A lovely bay window overlooked the quiet residential street. There was a relaxed feel to the hotel with all staff courteous and friendly receiving a warm welcome on arrival. Our evening meal and breakfast were both enjoyed - thank you chef!
ps - we would go back to this hotel x

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

We were booked in for three nights bed & breakfast.
The room was very comfortable and clean. However we felt as though we were in a goldfish bowl as the bay window in room 1 was facing the neighbours houses at the rear plus other side on bedrooms. I have no doubt that net curtains would resolve this problem but may not fit in with the modern decor of this hotel?
Breakfast on the first morning was not up to an acceptable standard. The requested crispy bacon was only lightly grilled but was also very salty. The butter was off and had to be replaced and the buffet table was void of many of the starters until we and others asked for the items to be replenished. After this we didn't feel confident in dining in the hotel at night so ate elsewhere. Breakfast on the following two days was acceptable.
The staff were helpful. However, the bedside light bulb was never replaced having been promised on the first morning of our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple