Invernairne Hotel
US$240
US$201
Braeval Hotel(Nairn)(Great Value!)
US$127
Muthu Newton Hotel(Nairn)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$114
US$111
Travelocity
US$395
All reviewsguest houseprivate pathmoray firthairy dining roomsea viewbeach promenadegreat hostsbuffet stylelocal eateriesspotted dolphinsfour poster bedwonderful roomstornoway black puddinglounge barfamily roomlog firenorthern scotland
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Not sure which four-poster room 'wanderingstarlet' stayed in (see review further below), but I'm pretty certain it wasn't the 'Firthside' on the ground floor! Decoration was to a high standard in my opinion and the room was spotlessly clean. All the furniture was solid and looked quite new to me (in excellent condition anyway). The en-suite was very large (by most hotel standards) with a bath and a shower. Douglas and Kay are extremely friendly and welcoming people who are clearly in the business because they care about what they do. I would love to have stayed longer, but it was a very last minute decision to get away for a night (with the kids in tow unfortunately ;-) ), but we were all glad that we chose the Invernairne.

I would certainly recommend 2-3 nights for any couple who want to get away for a short break and enjoy a bit of luxury at a reasonable price - choose the Firthside room and you won't be disappointed. The weather wasn't exactly tropical at this time of year, but the views more than made up for it...I can only imagine what it would be like when the sun is out in full force (pretty stunning I should think!).

We had a lovely meal at 'The Classroom' in the evening, which is only a 15-20 minute walk into Nairn town centre and at around £25 per head for 3 courses (including drinks) it didn't bankrupt us either! The hotel owners provided a very helpful map of several places to eat locally when we first arrived and there was plenty of guidance on what to do in the surrounding area as well. A couple of nice walks along the seafront were all we had time for, but the local golf course looked a treat worth exploring if that's your thing. There's also an indoor swimming pool less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Breakfast was good quality and served in a lovely room overlooking the Moray Firth (just next to our bedroom in fact - almost wish there was a serving hatch between the two!). Extra toast offered without being requested and self-service buffet dishes kept well stocked and hot.

All in all a great 'overnighter' which left us wanting more... see you again soon hopefully!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank uk_leisure_gb
Reviewed 22 September 2009

A lovely guest house with incredible views. House and gardens are very elegant. Kay and Douglas are wonderful hosts. Our room was beautiful as are the public rooms. Our hosts helped us with a number of things and couldn't be more helpful. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luv2travelMidwestUSA
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I stayed in Aberdeen for a conference and hire a car for adventure journey in Schotland. I spend too much time on whisky road and come to Nairn. A small town and I find the hotel very easy.

I park the car and find my room it is very nice and I like it here. It is long walk into Nairn town and I find something to eat. I drink many malt whisky - all very nice.

The hotel is very lovely, the decoration looks new and I love the view to the Black Island opposite the hotel garden. The breakfast is very good and I eat too much. If I come to Nairn once more I come here.

I like Schottland!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank GuntherKoln
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We enjoyed everything about the Invernairne - the 4-poster room was fabulous - mahogony, king sized and with great seaviews! We arrived late by train and not seeing taxis phoned up and the owner came and collected us. Either Kay or Doug also took us during the week to the bus station and even to Inverness railway station (due to poor connection time from Nairn station) - they couldn't have done more to make an enjoyable stay. Even the weather was mostly good (better than down south). Great breakfast - as much as you like. We loved the gardens and even spotted dolphins from the lawn! We recommend the meals at the Classroom and at the Golf View.
Trips to Cawdor castle, Brodie castle and of course Loch Ness plus the Spey side distilleries. We recommend the area and the miles of golden, sandy beaches right down from the gardens. You won't beat this!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank knysna2009
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We only stayed 2 nights at the Invernairne at the end of our vacation in Scotland, we wish it could have been longer. The historic house has a truly wonderful location with great views across the sea. Great for Nairn golf course too. The owners, Kay and Doug, could not have been more hospitable and helpful in every way. We were privileged to have one of the 4-poster rooms and we found it most comfortable. Sure the bar closes soon after 8pm but that was ideal for pre-dinner drinks in a beautiful location. We recommend the walk down through the Invernairne gardens and the short walk along the seafrontage to take dinner at the Golf View hotel as the sun sets. We also just loved visiting Cawdor Castle a few miles away. We hope to return to the Invernairne soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple