“Groupon stay in April, really good but could be great”
Review of Newton Muthu Hotel

Newton Muthu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Aberdeen
“Groupon stay in April, really good but could be great”
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights at this hotel using a Groupon deal which was excellent value for money. Impressive grounds and good location, quick and efficient check in. The room we had was basic but clean and with everything you would expect. The waitresses and waiters for all meals are really welcoming and with a bit more experience they will be really good. The food is great, continental breakfast is pretty basic but we had cooked breakfasts and they were spot on. A lot of people being very negative about service etc while we were there, although I see room for improvements I think some people are overly critical. The hotel was busy as there was a wedding on the Saturday but we weren't kept waiting for anything because of this. We did dine out on the Saturday of our stay though. Would probably return to the hotel in the future, possibly upgrading to a suite. Good walks nearby which suited us.

• Stayed April 2013
Alan N, General Manager at Newton Muthu Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Guests,
Glad to note that you found the offer excellent value for money and overall you enjoyed your stay at The Newton Hotel.
I have taken note of your other points and they will be looked at to improve. Comments from our guests are regularly reviewed, as we are always looking to improve our offer at the hotel.One aspect is the breakfast which has been reviewed and the changes have been well received by our guests.
I do hope you are able to visit us in the future and enjoy the hotel and the walks around the town.

Hotel General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed here on a special deal of 2 nights DBB and a free bottle of wine in our room. An added bonus was that we got a free room upgrade to a suite as well. The room was spacious, comfortable and had a nice shower. The decor in our room was lovely - traditional wooden furniture with a chaise longue and a large, original oil painting on the wall. Although the decor in our room leaned more to being antique, tge toilet and shower were clean and modern. It was a lovely mix. The free wine in our room was very good and the food and service throughout the hotel was excellent. We really enjoyed our stay and tge lovely walks along the river and alOng tge beach. Nairn is a quiet town which doesn't have a lot of entertainment or things to do but it was a great choice for us as we wanted a peaceful weekend.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Newton Hotel. It was pleasing to note that you enjoyed the room upgrade and found other aspects of the Newton Hotel excellent.
Around the town of Nairn, as you point out there are many lovely walks especially the beach and some great scenery to take in.
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

aberdeen
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We got married in nairn on Friday 19th, and spent the night at the Newton, not in a suite, just in a normal double bedroom. It was small but I can honestly say it was the cleanest hotel room I've ever been in. The Staff are polite, and can't do enough for you.
Loads of choice for breakfast, and it was nice and hot when it came-again waiting staff fabulous.
I'm only taking a point off because we ordered room service, and even though the food was lovely (nice and hot again) it took three attempts to get the order right. The receptionist however, phoned and apologised for this. If I could only take half a point off, I would. The kitchen had got the mains order before the starter, so just a bit of a mix up. It happens.
The night Porter was out early morning, tidying up the front entrance, just bits no one would notice, but I think makes all the difference between a great or mediocre hotel.
Staff-second to none, cleanliness-second to none, food-great.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front or back, we didn't- and it took a bit away from the stay.
Dear Guests,
Congratulations on your recent marriage and best wishes for the future.
My apologies for the mix up on your room service, but I note it did not detract to much from your stay.
It was pleasing to note your positive comments on the other aspects of cleanliness, breakfast and staff and I will pass these on to the staff with my thanks and appreciation.
Hope you are able to come and visit us soon and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Saskatoon
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel for wedding and had a very nice stay. Our room was huge and the bathroom was amazing. The room and hotel were clean and quiet and the staff were very helpful. We would recommend this hotel and we would stay again.

March, Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed here using a Groupon Voucher for two nights including DBB, as I was travelling in the Highlands over the school holidays. It's rare for me to stay at a non-IHG property, as I am a Royal Ambassador, however in the absence of anything other than a Holiday Inn Express in Inverness, I thought I would take the plunge!

The Newton is set in grounds that are reached by a tree covered lane. Beautiful. First impressions are of a former stately home that has now been very tastefully and carefully converted into a hotel. There are a couple of Highland Cows in the front field, which add to the ambience on a quiet evening's walk after dinner.

I paid an additional £35 per night to upgrade to the Chaplin Suite, as well as a one off charge for my youngest son to be sharing the room, of £30. All very reasonable.

The Chaplin Suite is so-called as Charlie Chaplin used to be a regular visitor to the hotel, and indeed, upon arrival to the room, there was a cane and bowler hat on the hatstand waiting to greet us!

The suite was well furnished, a sofa bed had been prepared for my son in the living room, and the master bedroom had a lovely four-poster bed. There was also a complimentary bottle of wine waiting for us in the room (always red.. why is this?)

Dinner was amazing. We sat in a fairly new conservatory (although some of the windows appeared to have blown and simply need replacing). I ordered Smoked Haddock Cakes on a bed of King Prawns, followed by Roast Lamb and then Baileys Cheesecake. We also had some drinks, very reasonably priced - 2 large glasses of chardonnay, 2 cokes and a bottle of sparkling water for £9-ish.

The bedroom was quite cold during the night. Almost as if there was a presence (if you believe that sort of thing) however after breakfast the next day, we asked if the heating could be looked at, to make the room a little bit more comfortable. The other niggle about the room was the water pressure in the shower. I referred to it as a slavering dog. Indeed I had to stand under the water for some considerable time to just get wet! Hotels are where people go to in order to get away from things like poor domestic showers! The bathroom had clearly recently been renovated, so it was rather a poor show that no one had thought to address the water pressure by either upgrading the boiler, or installing a twin impeller pump behind the bath to assist with the problem. It needs doing, to make this a world class bathroom!

Breakfast I guess was the bit that didn't impress me. It was just the normal offering, nothing traditionally Scottish, nothing unusual - indeed the fruit was straight from a tin, rather than being fresh. Guys, if you are reading this review, it's breakfast that you need to address. The menu reminded me of Wimpy when I was a child - not necessary! After the amazing fayre at dinner, the breakfast left me feeling very disappointed. The days of having cornflakes in big open bowls have long passed. It was very 1980s. If you want some inspiration, check out The Ranald in Oban (where I had stayed the previous evening) it was quirky, Scottish, and individual.

The management and staff appeared to genuinely care about the guests. Top marks to the night receptionist / barman who was helpful to the end. Sorry I didn't get his name, however he provided me with a small radiator for the room, as well as making sure I was comfortable in the bar whilst I had work to do after my family had retired for the evening. Often the guys that work at night are forgotten, but this guy was excellent.

So, all in all, a nice stay. Get the breakfast right, and do some small repairs around the building (shower pressure, conservatory glass) to keep on top of your game, and you will be spectacular!

Room Tip: Pay the extra supplement to upgrade to a suite as they are lovely!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at The Newton Hotel, it was both appreciated and welcome.
It was pleasing to note that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the niggly points you mentioned have been noted and are being looked at.
The comments regarding breakfast have been taken on board and there is far more emphasis on fresh fruits and the tins have gone.
Generally with offers of wine in the room on arrival, if it has not been specified we would put in red. If white is put in the room and the guests check in late, a bottle sitting in a bucket of water spoils the impact. Though if red wine is not the preffered choice it can be exchanged for white. For future offers we will make a point of asking the preffered wine at the time of booking.
Once again many thanks for your detailed comments and I hope to welcome you back to The Newtoin Hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week while I was working in Nairn. I was impressed on arrival at the location and the setting. The hotel is beautiful and the staff, friendly on arrival.
Unfortunately I was staying in what seemed to be an older part of the hotel, and while this had a certain charm to it, a bit of refurb might hae gone a long way. The walls were pretty thin, to the extent that any time the person in the room next to me took a bath, I could hear every ripple of water and squeak when they moved! This person also had a dog that barked any time I moved in my room!

I ate from the bar menu each night (as my company are rather tight-fisted with my allowance!!) which I felt could do with some work and wasn't great value for money. I had the lasagne, which was full of pasta and hardly any meat and for £11 was a measly portion. The next night I had the fish and chips, which, although was a great big portion of fish, it was overcooked and the batter was brittle and unenjoyable. On my third night I opted for the chicken curry, which again had a nice flavour, but the chicken was overcooked.

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it, however maybe try to stay in the newer rooms! There are also many nice places to eat in Nairn, which is what I chose to do for my last night in the area having had a couple of poor meals at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank SimonSays86
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Newton Hotel.I was sorry to read of certain points which left you disappointed. I would be happy to discuss these with you personally in more detail, next time you stay with us or if you could contact myself at the hotel on 01667 453144.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Most of the previous reviews are accurate.Beautiful building set in stunning scenery with a tranquil atmosphere.Rooms are large and spotlessly clean.All the staff were genuinely welcoming and although a lot of them were exhausted having worked lots of hours over the (Easter) weekend they were only "cheerfully grumbling".Food was excellent,bars were comfy and the grounds were stunning for a stroll in the sunshine.We had a chat with the Manager over breakfast and his enthusiasm and friendliness clearly is imitated by his staff.Very difficult to find fault with anything so best not to try.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Anyone with a view (front or back) will be lovely.
1 Thank Alan C
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your kind comments and it was pleasing to note your satisfaction overall with your visit to The Newton Hotel.
As you quite rightly point out the mature woodland around the hotel does lend itself to a stunning backdrop for the hotel and provides a tranquil feel to the hotel atmosphere.
I look forward to welcoming youselves back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotel General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Boath House
Boath House
#7 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Newton Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!