“Not bad but good do better”
Review of Newton Muthu Hotel

Newton Muthu Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This place is not properly run and managed, even though the staff are friendly and helpful.

Just a simple stroll around the park gives a fair idea of the state of affairs: no maintenance, ivy over growing and killing centenary trees... The same is true for the hotel.

The restaurant offers average and underwhelming food for dinner and the breakfast is a buffet as sad as some motels in Australia.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Peter_Euskadi
There are newer reviews for Newton Muthu Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2013

As part of a tour group, we did not select the Newton Hotel in which to stay this past June. With that said, we couldn't have been more pleased with the Hotel and the wait staff. We would definitely stay again, given the opportunity. During our nine day tour, Ronnie was the only manager from all of the hotels we stayed, to hop aboard our tour bus and personally greet our tour group. Our room was comfortable, clean and large enough for the two of us, plus we had a view of the beautiful garden. A couple of days after leaving, I realized that I inadvertently left a blouse behind. I contacted the Newton and at their own expense they mailed my blouse to my home address. Thank you Elizabeth ! I'd rather stay at a warm, inviting, caring hotel like the Newton than a 5 star hotel where the staff only cares about themselves.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank fayeray
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My daughter and I stayed here one night of a tour. We were not blessed with a large, comfortable room, as some of the reviewers (and some of our tour-mates) were. Our room was tiny for two small women, somewhat shabby, and had absolutely no view. The property did not have a pool. The location is about a 10-minute walk in an upscale residential neighborhood from the town or the beach, neither of which were a big draw. The air outside was amazingly fresh and some of the hedges you find as you walk through the neighborhood gave off a truly lovely scent. We had a traditional Scottish dinner followed by Highland dancing to a bagpipe and accordion that evening. The quality of the dinner was adequate but not fine dining, not even first-rate banquet quality...several of the hotels later on the tour did better. Breakfast had the typical Scottish goodies (mushrooms, beans, eggs, porridge...and other good stuff) and was tasty.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a decent-sized room. Not all "twins" are created equal!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JerseyJean
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Is a big decent hotel and the setting is good, located well for a walk to the beach. The room we had was initially good but I never had any bottles of water in the room and no pen when I needed it. Small things but a bit strange for a 4 star place. Didnt eat there at night as there was a wedding on but the breakfast was very good, cooked to order which I like. Last point was a bit annoying, we got a walk up call on the phone at 6am but we hasn't asked for it! The first day in ages I had a chance at a lie in, and they woke me up with no explanation. Overall I would still stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank WillieEdinburgh
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Really loved the two nights we stayed here the staff are welcoming and the hotel and rooms are clean and comfortable.

I have stayed in many hotels but I will say it is rare I find the food nice and worth eating with that said this is not the case for the Newton hotel. We ate here both nights because we enjoyed the food so much each night getting a starter, main and pudding :-) The first nights meal was included in the deal so we had it from the set menu and it was very tasty, but on the second night we picked from the bar menu and again it was fantastic...If this gets read please pass on our thanks to the chefs and also the dining staff they where really friendly, attentive and made us feel right at home and gave us a laugh now and then.

The bar area was really nice and the barmaid was great really chatty and engaging with us when we where ordering our drinks and food on the first night...also I want to point out she knew how to pour a Guinness properly what a breath of fresh air.

Breakfast both mornings was lovely the staff where attentive and welcoming and we didn't have to wait long at all for food, coffee, toast or anything really. Perfect in every way.

Now I saved the best till last, we had been to the highlands to at least see one highland cow and guess what they have two in the field within the hotel!!

Great place to stay would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed at the Newton for 3 nights D, B&B last week. The staff were helpful and friendly. The Duty Manager kept everyone on their toes.
The food was good. Our room was comfortable with a nice view of the garden, with a super-power shower (more powerful than at other hotels we've stayed at).
The hotel is situated in a quiet part of town with easy access to the promenade; perfect for a walk before and after dinner. They did little things like switching off the kitchen extractor fans at night letting everyone sleep! They weren't very noisy, but it was nice touch.
Only minor criticism is that some of the décor is a bit shabby, but clearly some improvements have been started.
We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CinnamonFife
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Driving up the circular driveway, the Newton is pretty imposing. Stepping inside was like going back in time .....but in a good way. There were dark wood floors in the lobby and the bar area. The bar was filled with overstuffed chairs and sofas. The bedrooms are thoroughly modern with all the amenities. I would have enjoyed my room enormously had I not been right over the venue of a rather rambuncious wedding party. Luck of the draw, I suppose. The food was pretty good and the wait staff were very helpful explaining things on the menu. The grounds are lovely just to meander after dinner. I would definiely stay at the Newton again if I were in the Inverness area. All in all, a lovely property.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank LonnieH634
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Golf View Hotel & Spa
The Craiglynne Hotel
The Craiglynne Hotel
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Newton Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!