“A Christmas to Remember”
Review of Newton Muthu Hotel

Newton Muthu Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Duffus, United Kingdom
“A Christmas to Remember”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We originally booked into the Craigellachie Hotel but as Bespoke decided to close it on Christmas Eve for refurbishment, they offered us the same rate in another of their hotels. We chose the Newton and we certainly weren't disappointed.
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and after going to our room went to the bar for a drink prior to Christmas dinner. We were greeted with a bucks fizz and sat in the comfortable lounge whilst waiting.
The meal was absolutely first class. A varied menu at a competitive price.
The staff were all brilliant and all did their best to make those that dined and those that stayed have a wonderfully relaxed Christmas.
The rooms are very comfortable, clean and have plenty of room to move about in unlike the last hotel we stayed in.

Room Tip: All the rooms seems to be good although you get the best view from the older part of the building fa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MickandVicci

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked this fairly last minute for a single night break with my wife. Right from my first contact with Laura ,things could not have been better. Arrived mid afternoon on the 31 st , had a few drinks in the bar ,then prepared for the evening entertainment. Had a fantastic evening of food , good company ,and superb entertainment. The attitude and friendliness of everyone involved made for a great evening. Thank you the Newton for getting 2014 off to a great start. Keep up the good work. We shall certainly be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nairn
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Just had our wedding and I can't fault the venue at all! The staff were so helpful and kind and couldn't have been any nicer to make our stay more comfortable! The food was excellent and I really enjoyed the whole day! A big thank you to all the staff for making the day special you couldn't have done any more! Hospitality 10/10, Venue 10/10, Cleanliness 8/10, Food 10/10.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here, the surrounding were amazing as is the building.

My room was good, the bed was comfortable as well.

A few small issues crept in though, the tiles on the bathroom floor were loose, however the bathroom does have underfloor which is a very nice touch.

The bar staff were not always up to scratch when serving, they didn't know where things were and there were a few patrons rather upset about it. They are still new so this can be forgiven of course.

The food was generally good, my colleague ordered the soup which arrived barely even warm however.

With a bit of polishing in these areas, this would hae got 5*. I would however most certainly stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We had a great 2 night stay here in an executive room. Enjoyed the stay and would return.

Welcome and checkin was very good, polite staff throughout the hotel, on hand whenever we needed them.

The room itself was very spacious and has been well maintained and cleaned. Good quality bedding and towels and a good heating system. It was minus 3 outside on one night and it worked well.

Hotel bar was well stocked and reasonably priced. It was locked up on the Sunday evening however the night porter happily reopened it and served us a nightcap.

Free wifi is also a really nice touch, no hassles in connecting.

Breakfast was great, lots of it and very tasty. Really did set us up for the day.

Unfortunately what wasn't great was our experience in the restaurant (Chaplains). It's a rather soulless room which was too bright and a CD on repeat. The food was ok, after it had been reheated as was initially served luke warm. Service felt rushed as the staff ran between the restaurant and the hotel. They were however polite and very apologetic for the cold main courses.

I also didn't like that it was a set menu with no price attached or printed. I had to ask how much it was. I'm not sure why the dishes couldn't be individually priced.

Overall we would go back and stay again however would dine out next time for evening meal as we did on the Sunday evening.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scotlad09
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed 21 November 2013

While staying at the Newton our group was greeted in the parking lot by the manager who welcomed all of us. A first for me. Our room was beautiful, large, updated, with coffee and tea on the desk just waiting for us. At breakfast we were greeted again by the manager-asking if things were ok. A first for me again.
I forgot my universal plug and they did not charge me for one. Just bring it back in the morning said the night clerk. A first for me again. Breakfast was excellent, staff outstanding, building beautiful and upon checking out the manager again came to say goodbye and made sure everything was to our satisfaction. A first again. This hotel manager is a work horse and made our stay great. I give them a 5 star.

Room Tip: Beautiful place to stay. Just not close to walking points of interest, pubs, shopping, or restaurant...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I had previously stayed at the Newton through work as well as attending a wedding. It was in the past ok.
I found a good deal on the net. So I booked it thinking we would have a cheap and cheerful break.
Well it was far more than that, the food was excellent, the staff were friendly and efficient. We were delighted to be given an up grade, the room was clean and comfortable.

We will certainly nip back for a break. All this for under £140 , quite a bargain I think.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Golf View Hotel & Spa
Kingsmills Hotel
Kingsmills Hotel
#9 of 34 in Inverness
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,660 reviews

Been to Newton Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!