“Excellent value and comfort ”
Review of Newton Muthu Hotel

Newton Muthu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent value and comfort ”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My family and I have just spent a leisurely three nights DBB at the Newton Hotel. We've stayed here several times over the past 12 years and the quality of service is still very good indeed.
We would particularly like to compliment the young waiters who were all so polite and helpful. They were especially kind to my children and we found it very sweet.
The food at the Newton is always of an excellent standard and it's hard not to over indulge!
As I said, we've stayed here several times over the years and though out the various changes in ownership. The decor in the rooms is still the as as it was 12 years ago and sadly the chairs and carpets are showing their age. This didn't bother us too much though and we would happily go back again when we want a relaxing break away.
Thank you!

Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
manchester
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is no doubt a beautiful hotel in lovely grounds, but I don't think it deserves its 4 stars, it is however a very good 3 star. The rooms are a nice size, if not a little dated. A 4* hotel should have a big comfy bed, this was just a normal divan with a pink valence !!the room had a old fashioned wardrobe, plenty of hangers. I only had channels 1-5 on a old fashioned box TV (plus 3 sports channels). Plastic glasses in the bathroom, no glasses in the bedroom. The bathroom did have under floor heating which was a nice touch.
Breakfast is served in a rather old fashioned room with a cold selection and a hot menu on the tables. The menu was very tatty, the sort you would expect in a cheap American diner. The hot food itself was very nice , and huge portions, definately sets you up for the day, I found the cold selection a little poor to be honest ( especially the meats and cheeses).
All staff I had contact with during my stay were very pleasant and polite, had to wait a couple of minutes for someone to come to the reception desk to check in but when the lady did come she was lovely and was swift in checking me in, Once checked in she handed me a key on the biggest key ring I have ever seen, which is a pain carrying this around, they should update the doors to key card systems.
The hotel has no leisure facilities, however , you can run/walk around the grounds.
Hotel offers wifi in rooms.
This is a very nice hotel with excellent staff and I would fully recommend a stay here, however, it doesn't have the room/leisure facilities that other 4* hotels offer.

Room Tip: rooms at the end of a corridor will be quieter as less people walking past.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pauljbManchester
Stromness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Due to very bad weather, my flight from Inverness was cancelled and the airline sent me, and 8 other stranded passengers, to the Newton Hotel. We arrived at approximately 20.40 and a friendly, helpful receptionist quickly allocated us our rooms.
Upstairs layout was a bit confusing and it took me a few minutes to find my room. The room was spacious and contained everything needed for a comfortable nights stay.
Despite being late(ish) the kitchen and waiting staff provided dinner. Good selection on the menu and everything, except the mustard sauce, was well presented and tasty. The sauce was very thin.
Breakfast was very good.
If I was visiting Nairn some time in the future, I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: I cannot comment on the value since the price of the stay was met by the airline. Dark when I arrive...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Duffus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We originally booked into the Craigellachie Hotel but as Bespoke decided to close it on Christmas Eve for refurbishment, they offered us the same rate in another of their hotels. We chose the Newton and we certainly weren't disappointed.
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and after going to our room went to the bar for a drink prior to Christmas dinner. We were greeted with a bucks fizz and sat in the comfortable lounge whilst waiting.
The meal was absolutely first class. A varied menu at a competitive price.
The staff were all brilliant and all did their best to make those that dined and those that stayed have a wonderfully relaxed Christmas.
The rooms are very comfortable, clean and have plenty of room to move about in unlike the last hotel we stayed in.

Room Tip: All the rooms seems to be good although you get the best view from the older part of the building fa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MickandVicci
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked this fairly last minute for a single night break with my wife. Right from my first contact with Laura ,things could not have been better. Arrived mid afternoon on the 31 st , had a few drinks in the bar ,then prepared for the evening entertainment. Had a fantastic evening of food , good company ,and superb entertainment. The attitude and friendliness of everyone involved made for a great evening. Thank you the Newton for getting 2014 off to a great start. Keep up the good work. We shall certainly be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nairn
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Just had our wedding and I can't fault the venue at all! The staff were so helpful and kind and couldn't have been any nicer to make our stay more comfortable! The food was excellent and I really enjoyed the whole day! A big thank you to all the staff for making the day special you couldn't have done any more! Hospitality 10/10, Venue 10/10, Cleanliness 8/10, Food 10/10.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here, the surrounding were amazing as is the building.

My room was good, the bed was comfortable as well.

A few small issues crept in though, the tiles on the bathroom floor were loose, however the bathroom does have underfloor which is a very nice touch.

The bar staff were not always up to scratch when serving, they didn't know where things were and there were a few patrons rather upset about it. They are still new so this can be forgiven of course.

The food was generally good, my colleague ordered the soup which arrived barely even warm however.

With a bit of polishing in these areas, this would hae got 5*. I would however most certainly stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Boath House
Boath House
#7 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Newton Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!