“Lovely Hotel - Relaxing Stay”
Review of Newton Muthu Hotel

Newton Muthu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Preston, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel - Relaxing Stay”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have just spent the weekend at this lovely hotel, it is in a beautiful area just a 5 minute walk from the beach. On arrival we were upgraded to the Macmillan suite which had a large bedroom, with a separate room with a sofa, chairs and a television in it overlooking the gardens. The food was excellent. There was a wedding on the Saturday but it was at the other side of the hotel, so we were not bothered by it at all. There are highland cows in the grounds and we saw deer at the front of the hotel one evening too. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Macmillan Suite or room 112.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Balmacara, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Myself and my girlfriend came to stay here at the begining of July as a joint Birthday celebration. For this reason we specified that we would like to stay in a suite with a Four Poster bed.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist and were told the details of the hotel. We were pointed towards our room and made our way there. We were in total awe of the building, it is amazing!
Our room, the Macmillian Suite was lovely! We seemed to have a whole corner of the hotel! However on closer inspection there were alot of things that let it down. The phone looked like it was right out of the 70's and the carpet was showing lots of wear and tear.
However the main thing was in the bedroom. There were lots of areas with selotape on the walls, and a few areas with rips on the wallpaper where the selotape had been pulled off. I thought this was extremely bad for such a lovely suite. Also the shower hose wasn't long enough which ment I had to crouch to get under it.
We walked down to the main restaurant to have a look at the menu for dinner. 3 choices for each course, none of which took my fancy and it was £25. Not bad if there is something you like. Bit expensive if there isn't. And so we had dinner away from the hotel.
On returning we decided to spend the rest of the evening in the drawing room/lounge/bar. A lovely room, with very comfortable chairs, a lovely atmosphere, a great bar and a very knowledgeable gentleman behind the bar. I suspect he was a manager as earlier when I had popped my head in the bartender said that when I came back he would get his manager to help me. He instantly went for the whisky I would have chosen myself, and then when I said I would like something differant he picked out two or three that I love. Clearly he knew his stuff and chose just the right whisky. A lovely Bunahabhainn for after dinner!
After enjoying the dram myself and my girlfriend retired back to the suite. The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a great night sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was great. We arrived late, probably the last people down but were still greeted with a lovely smile and friendly face. We helped ourselves to the buffet, which was huge, and then ordered a Full Breakfast each. It was a real good size and i couldn't finish it. However on the menu there was tomatoes and Potato Scones, neither of which were seen on our plates. A bit disappointing but as i said, we couldn't finish our breakfast anyway. Afterwards we returned to our room and packed and then checked out.
I would definitely come back again, and i would recommend that anyone coming here book a suite, simply for the amazing feeling of having what feels like your own flat! I would hope that the management take note of this review and look at replacing the wallpaper in the Macmillian Suite as it really does let down an otherwise amazing suite.

Room Tip: Book a Suite! You will not regret it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Allan M
aberdeen
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I attended a work meal on 13th June. I CANNOT fault the service at all. The barstaff and waiters were fantastic- especially at keeping tally of the free drinks. Wine glasses not allowed to be empty, water refreshed every 15 minutes.
Unfortunately- the meal itself let it down. The crab/prawn starter was lovely, but the main course salmon left a lot to be desired. I understand there was a lot of people- but it wouldn't have hurt to ask how we wanted our salmon. Mine tasted as if it had been cooked three hours before the meal. Dry and overdone. Potatoes were crunchy also. Shame, because the plate looked lovely. The dessert-panacotta- wasn't the best either I'm afraid. There had been too much gelatin added, and it sat on the end of my fork like a lollipop.
Again, I can't fault the service, kudos to the trainer. I do like the Newton, but for a 'large' meal, I don't think I'd go again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank zelda19678
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spent a top over here and it was excellent from the time I parked to the time I left. Staff were friendly and efficient. The room was excellent; comfortable bed; excellent shower and all in all I will stay again.

The hotel is set in its own grounds and while I was there Highland cattle were in the adjoining field - photo opportunity. It is also not that far from the centre of Nairn which is an easy walk to stretch the legs after a days driving.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here many years ago,always in the Chaplin Suite which was very nice and handy because we had a Labrador,and the suite had a handy back door.This time we were in the newish extentension.I would advise anybody booking not to book rooms with odd numbers in this extentension due to the kitchen extraction fan starting at 0630 and not being switched off until at leasr 2130,so if you have to have the windows open,and even with them shut you will hear it.What they can do about it I do not know.
Whilst I have some sympathy with smokers having to go outside for a cigarette,it should not be immediately outside the entrance,so people coming in have to walk through clouds off blue smoke as this defeats the purpose of the Hotel being smoke free.
By the way flat screen televisions are available in the North of Scotland I believe,and so therefore you should up-grade your TV's
Having had a moan,we found the staff very pleasant,the food good,although evening menu was restricted for choice.
By the way we stayed in room 129 which must be above the function suite,There was a wedding in full swing till 0130 ,need I say more.

Room Tip: There is no air con,so rooms with odd numbers have the sun on them hence windows open therefore the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DEREK S
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the Chaplin Suite for a night and while it's fabulous to have a separate lounge to relax in, the whole place could do with a little tlc. We ate in the restaraunt and the food was ok, but the menu was a little limited. That being said it is a lovely Hotel in a beautiful location and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My girlfriend and I visited the Newton Hotel and had a really nice stay.

Upon our arrival we were welcomed by a very friendly clerk who provided us with the Wi-Fi codes for our devices, the Wi-Fi is free but you need to get a new code every day which is a little inconvenient but not the end of the world. Also the Wi-Fi logged me out if I didn’t use it for a couple of minutes meaning I had to log in again. This was a little tedious but again, not a major gripe. Another little gripe, the size of the tag on our room key was huge, this made it very awkward to carry around, again just a small complaint but one that could be easily fixed.

Our room was very spacious and the bed was comfy. The wall paper was a little dowdy though, I would have liked it to be a little brighter. We had a window in our room (Room 209) but it was pretty small and there was no view which was disappointing. The ventilation wasn’t great, the room got pretty stuffy at night. It was my girlfriend who made the booking and she said that she was expecting a garden view. We weren’t planning on spending much time in the room though so we didn’t make a fuss.

The bathroom was nice if a little small. Plenty of towels and toiletries which is always nice. Also plenty of sockets to plug chargers into.

The staff at the hotel were very nice and helpful, from the bar to the restaurant everybody we dealt with were happy to help.

The breakfast was very good indeed, a buffet of cold items was available and cooked breakfast items were available to order. For a £5 you can even have breakfast in your room.

We ended each night with a drink in the bar. The bar is very big with lots of comfy chairs. We really loved this bar, it was great to finish our busy days here and relax.

The hotel is in a good location, everything in Nairn is easily accessible and the grounds are lovely.

I really recommend this hotel, if you want to tour the highlands this is a nice place to set up your base of operations. You will be well looked after and can expect a comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Boath House
Boath House
#7 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Newton Muthu Hotel? Share your experiences!