Muthu Newton Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel(Nairn)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$178
  • Breakfast included
US$221
TripAdvisor
All reviewshighland cowscharlie chaplincream teatour groupexecutive roomolder partlovely groundsbeautiful hotelunderfloor heatingwedding partyloved this hotelan upgradebar menuhuge beda bit tireddining roomevening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have just spent the weekend at this lovely hotel, it is in a beautiful area just a 5 minute walk from the beach. On arrival we were upgraded to the Macmillan suite which had a large bedroom, with a separate room with a sofa, chairs and a television in it overlooking the gardens. The food was excellent. There was a wedding on the Saturday but it was at the other side of the hotel, so we were not bothered by it at all. There are highland cows in the grounds and we saw deer at the front of the hotel one evening too. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Macmillan Suite or room 112.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Myself and my girlfriend came to stay here at the begining of July as a joint Birthday celebration. For this reason we specified that we would like to stay in a suite with a Four Poster bed.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist and were told the details of the hotel. We were pointed towards our room and made our way there. We were in total awe of the building, it is amazing!
Our room, the Macmillian Suite was lovely! We seemed to have a whole corner of the hotel! However on closer inspection there were alot of things that let it down. The phone looked like it was right out of the 70's and the carpet was showing lots of wear and tear.
However the main thing was in the bedroom. There were lots of areas with selotape on the walls, and a few areas with rips on the wallpaper where the selotape had been pulled off. I thought this was extremely bad for such a lovely suite. Also the shower hose wasn't long enough which ment I had to crouch to get under it.
We walked down to the main restaurant to have a look at the menu for dinner. 3 choices for each course, none of which took my fancy and it was £25. Not bad if there is something you like. Bit expensive if there isn't. And so we had dinner away from the hotel.
On returning we decided to spend the rest of the evening in the drawing room/lounge/bar. A lovely room, with very comfortable chairs, a lovely atmosphere, a great bar and a very knowledgeable gentleman behind the bar. I suspect he was a manager as earlier when I had popped my head in the bartender said that when I came back he would get his manager to help me. He instantly went for the whisky I would have chosen myself, and then when I said I would like something differant he picked out two or three that I love. Clearly he knew his stuff and chose just the right whisky. A lovely Bunahabhainn for after dinner!
After enjoying the dram myself and my girlfriend retired back to the suite. The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a great night sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was great. We arrived late, probably the last people down but were still greeted with a lovely smile and friendly face. We helped ourselves to the buffet, which was huge, and then ordered a Full Breakfast each. It was a real good size and i couldn't finish it. However on the menu there was tomatoes and Potato Scones, neither of which were seen on our plates. A bit disappointing but as i said, we couldn't finish our breakfast anyway. Afterwards we returned to our room and packed and then checked out.
I would definitely come back again, and i would recommend that anyone coming here book a suite, simply for the amazing feeling of having what feels like your own flat! I would hope that the management take note of this review and look at replacing the wallpaper in the Macmillian Suite as it really does let down an otherwise amazing suite.

Room Tip: Book a Suite! You will not regret it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Allan M
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I attended a work meal on 13th June. I CANNOT fault the service at all. The barstaff and waiters were fantastic- especially at keeping tally of the free drinks. Wine glasses not allowed to be empty, water refreshed every 15 minutes.
Unfortunately- the meal itself let it down. The crab/prawn starter was lovely, but the main course salmon left a lot to be desired. I understand there was a lot of people- but it wouldn't have hurt to ask how we wanted our salmon. Mine tasted as if it had been cooked three hours before the meal. Dry and overdone. Potatoes were crunchy also. Shame, because the plate looked lovely. The dessert-panacotta- wasn't the best either I'm afraid. There had been too much gelatin added, and it sat on the end of my fork like a lollipop.
Again, I can't fault the service, kudos to the trainer. I do like the Newton, but for a 'large' meal, I don't think I'd go again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank zelda19678
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spent a top over here and it was excellent from the time I parked to the time I left. Staff were friendly and efficient. The room was excellent; comfortable bed; excellent shower and all in all I will stay again.

The hotel is set in its own grounds and while I was there Highland cattle were in the adjoining field - photo opportunity. It is also not that far from the centre of Nairn which is an easy walk to stretch the legs after a days driving.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here many years ago,always in the Chaplin Suite which was very nice and handy because we had a Labrador,and the suite had a handy back door.This time we were in the newish extentension.I would advise anybody booking not to book rooms with odd numbers in this extentension due to the kitchen extraction fan starting at 0630 and not being switched off until at leasr 2130,so if you have to have the windows open,and even with them shut you will hear it.What they can do about it I do not know.
Whilst I have some sympathy with smokers having to go outside for a cigarette,it should not be immediately outside the entrance,so people coming in have to walk through clouds off blue smoke as this defeats the purpose of the Hotel being smoke free.
By the way flat screen televisions are available in the North of Scotland I believe,and so therefore you should up-grade your TV's
Having had a moan,we found the staff very pleasant,the food good,although evening menu was restricted for choice.
By the way we stayed in room 129 which must be above the function suite,There was a wedding in full swing till 0130 ,need I say more.

Room Tip: There is no air con,so rooms with odd numbers have the sun on them hence windows open therefore the noise from the fan.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple