“great scones again”

The Bothy
Ranked #27 of 249 Restaurants in Moray
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Burghead, Scotland, United Kingdom
“great scones again”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

in again today very busy but scones were up to usual standards and good coffee. spotted the comment better service in mcdonalds dont think so plus never had horse at the bothy.... i go 2 or 3 times a week not been dissapointed yet
keith

thebothyburghead, Owner at The Bothy, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for your GENUINE review!

Inverness, United Kingdom
“Great cakes and friendly staff!”
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I visited the bothy on the 10th of January with a friend and my young son. We were greeted with a friendly welcome and told we could choose where we wanted to sit. I chose the quieter part through the back incase my son was noisy. We all decided on hot chocolates that were amazing and they did a childs size one which was great. I had a chocolate brownie that was to die for and my friend had a gluten free dime bar slice. Quite often gluten free can taste a bit dry or tastless but not this one it was gorgeous.
The waiting staff were very good with my wee boy and chatted away with us all. Will defenitely be coming back :)

Visited January 2014
thebothyburghead, Owner at The Bothy, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for your GENUINE review!
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Better service in Elgin Mcdonald's, go there instead!!!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

First time I've been and won't be back! When we arrived we weren't welcomed, in fact basically ignored with the staff just looking at us then looking away. We should of left then but with two hungry children in tow decided to stay. After about a minute of this I decided to take it upon myself seen as the staff weren't bothering, to ask if there was any tables available to be told "eh I don't know", then another waitress told our waitress there was tables round the back, so we walk round and sit at a table.

We had just sat down and only just started looking at the menu when the waitress came to take our order!! At this point I asked if they did half portions for children as there was no kids menu to be told she doesn't know again and she would ask the kitchen. She then goes away to come back two minutes later, she takes our order and at this point I asked about the half portions for my son as he wanted the fish which she knew but wait for it she hadn't asked!!! She comes back again and tells us the kitchen won't make up a half portion for my son. Ridiculous considering this place is good for kids according to Facebook! We then decided my son could share our meals and she went away with our order, then she comes back and tells us there is no pancakes which my daughter had ordered. This was after I had ordered the Cullen Skink which she didn't even know was on the menu by the way (I had to point it out). That was the last straw and I told her we would be leaving which we did.

Terrible from start to finish. Not welcoming in the slightest, awful service and management seriously need to train their staff because our waitress was completely clueless! I can't comment on the food because we never had any!

6 Thank Karibooo
St Andrews, United Kingdom
“Friendly cafe and great food”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Unlike some other recent reviewers, we came here for lunch and received exceptionally friendly service, including answering all our questions about local history and culture. The food was of excellent quality and good value. Good to see inventive vegetarian options. We took home some cheese scones which were also very tasty.
The cafe holds the key for the Pictish well and this is a fascinating place to visit. Unfortunately, the main visitor centre (with a pictish stone carving of a boar) does not open in Winter.
We would highly recommend a visit to Burghead and this gem of a cafe.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointed”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were really looking forward to our second visit to the bothy, and we were quite disappointed with it overall.

Firstly, we were sat right by the door which caused a draft. We felt an inconvenience as we asked to move.

Our Sunday roasts weren't particularly hot when they arrived, and we were quite surprised at the 'frozen' undercooked chips that came as a side to my husbands meal. Real potato chips aren't that hard to do.
One member of staff in particular was not very friendly.

Overall, disappointed with our visit.

3 Thank LeightonFiona