“Good food”

Darroch Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 77 Restaurants in Elgin
Price range: US$25 - US$66
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Description: Savour fresh, organic produce in our Darroch Restaurant where the best of land and sea can be enjoyed daily. All dishes are prepared with only the finest local produce, by our attentive staff, in relaxed and friendly surroundings. Choose between table d’hôte and a la carte menus in the restaurant. We select the best of Scottish produce and feature local ingredients wherever possible.
Sevenoaks, Kent
“Good food”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

After reading this year's good reviews, we decided to give this restaurant a try. The outside of the building is a bit off-putting, but the restaurant was clean and there was a good variety of dishes on the menu. The service seemed a bit slow and guests at another table had their mains delivered before their starters! However, we had no problems - we had duck and risotto, both of which were very good indeed. We had two courses, wine and coffee and the cost was around £30 a head. However, you need to know that we ate at The Darroch on a Friday evening at the end of July and the restaurant stopped serving at 8.30pm! This was something of a surprise to hotel guests who arrived in the bar at 8.45pm expecting to be able to get a meal.

• Visited July 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, great value.”
Reviewed 1 June 2012 via mobile

The set 4 course meal was £19.95 per person. I thought this was excellent value given the quality and presentation of all the courses. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and very pleasant. The young waiters and waitresses were excellent, I could not fault them at all and the hotel should be extremely proud of them all. We ate on two consecutive evenings and ALL the food was great. Previously we had eaten at a very well known Scottish restaurant, which cost more than 5 times as much, but the food was no better. Congratulations to all the staff concerned, keep up the good work.

Glasgow
“Absolutely amazing!!”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

-The food has a very fresh feel to it and tastes even better than it looks
-Staff very helpful on accomodating my allergy
-Atmosphere is very relaxing
-Brilliant wine list and the husband loves all the scottish whiskeys.

Visited March 2012
lossiemoth
“terrible staff and food”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

liked when i was leaving disliked the rude and unhelpful staff

Visited December 2011
glendale ca
“We're not usually insulted...”
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We were staying at the Eight Acres Hotel, which houses this restaurant, for one night only before catching a flight out of Inverness early the next morning. We had been told by someone fairly local that it was a good restaurant.

We had made a reservation for 7:00, this was a Thursday night. I arrived at 6:55, and my husband arrived exactly at 7:00. The pea lemon grass soup was pretty good, but we had to wait 40 minutes for it. An additional one hour and twenty minutes went by before we got our main dish, gnocchi (which was of a consistency neither of us had ever had before) in a nice sauce. When we finally got that, we ordered our dessert right away, figuring out that it would take a while to arrive, to put it mildly. The perky waitress kept saying over and over "are you sure?" when we asked it be delivered as soon as possible. We had had a rough travel day and a long day to come the next day and had had no idea it would take so long. Dessert was the worst apple crumble I have ever had.

During the long wait, a gentleman came by and apologized for the delay, offering no explanation. We try to be very polite in other countries, as we consider ourselves ambassadors and only guests when we are lucky enough to travel. But we were getting a little upset as other people were being served and finishing their meals and leaving while we were still waiting for the main.

I don't think gnocchi in sauce takes an hour and twenty minutes; in fact the reason I know is I saw other people being served it while we were waiting for it. It was not like a Saturday night date dinner in a romantic environment where you are encouraged to linger; I am sure they get a lot of business people there during the week who don't need to waste several hours of their time trying to get dinner.

We were staying at the hotel, we had reservations, we were dressed ok if not terribly fancy, we were on time and of course polite. Still we were treated differently than any of the other customers we could see or hear.

The only difference that I can see, sadly, is that we were the only Americans in the restaurant as far as I can tell. We know a lot of the world aren't fond of American visitors, and again, view ourselves as ambassadors who must make our country look good. We don't get insulted easily.

Unfortunately, I have gone over the whole night in my head and this is all I've come up with. It's ironic in that a number of my ancestors come from the Elgin area.

If I was fortunate enough to be in that beautiful part of the world again, I would never eat in this restaurant again.

4 Thank mermaid331