“Great all rounder and great value for money”
Review of The Crooked Inn - CLOSED

The Crooked Inn
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We called in on my the way to Elgin. We both had the Sunday roast which I must say was amazing. I had the mustard glazed gammon my my partner had the beef. The portion was big the meat had lots of flavour the Yorkshire pudding was perfect. I asked a very nice young lady for the recipe. The chef came with the recipe for me and she told me how to do it. I also asked how she made the gammon so tasty. I must admit that I would never have used cider to cook my gammon but I will from now on. The waitress was very nice we left some food because of the size of the meal and even she said she would only manage a small. The staff where very nice in the way we where left to eat are meal and not have someone come to the table every 5 minutes. This is a little jewel and we will be back and with friends and family.

There are newer reviews for The Crooked Inn

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Have dined at the Inn on several occasions in the past while staying at Ardgye House. The food was always good and the service excellent. However, we dined there on Saturday 13th and it was certainly not to the standards we had previously experienced. One of the starters was chicken with sesame seed, they had no sesame, another contained cheese which they did not have. The quality of the food we did order was not very good and definitely not on a par with previous visits. The service was the biggest difference as they had been very friendly before but this time it was at a very basic level. The staff spent more time giggling and chatting with each other and there was a child, who obviously belonged to a member of staff, running around and staff with plates were almost falling over him. Will give it a miss next time we are in the area.

1  Thank andreabricknal
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Started with table accross from us returning their salmon - still frozen in the middle. New one was not much better and she left most of it. Our starters came after 1 hour. 2 pastry parcels and a prawn - all frozen stuff from Iceland I would say. Priced at £4.95 - value 20p. Steaks came next and they were served with mushrooms, onion rings, massive wedge chips - all very greasy and not nice. Finally one of our group got Rhubarb crumble - looked like dogs sick. The place was run by 4 teenagers. The table next to us got their starters refunded as they were cold and also the beer was in short supply. We will not be going back in a hurry - AVOID - and this on easter saturday too.

1  Thank Foodynairn
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I have been to the crooked inn so many time in the last few years and the food has always been great, so you can imagine my shock when my daughter came for a holiday and asked to go to her favourite place for lunch and it was utter rubbish! We were a party of five and we all ordered different meals and no one of us enjoyed our meal. Will not be going back unless reviews get good again!

1  Thank Gillian G
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I was staying up near Alves with my other half for a few days & this place was recommended, I'm not a huge fan of eating out & avoid it if I can but given no choice & since it was a special occasion (I was to propose to her that night) I manned up & we went to the Crooked Inn.

It is a small bar/restaurant with a cosy country theme to the decor, but that isn't important.

The important part is the burger.
Never before have I had such a large, tender, perfectly cooked burger in all of my life. I like burgers, it's the ultimate food in that it has bread, meat & vegetables all wrapped up in a handheld package, not that I would have attempted to eat this burger with just my hands.
The side dishes are also good, the home cooked chips were amazing & the portion sizes are more than adequate.
Price is very reasonable especially considering the quality of the food.
I will be going again, even if I have to drive there just to eat, I'm cool with that because the burgers are totally worth it.