“Good value pub food”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We visited for dinner on a quiet evening. Food and service good. Quaint pub and certainly worth a visit if you are in the area. We stayed in a nearby B&B and the hostess recommended this pub for a good value meal. It did not disappoint.

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Came in may and the food and service was amazing so we went back again when we came to see family. Myself and my husband wanted to try it on a different night so went on a Saturday. Straight away we noticed that the atmosphere didn't seem the same as last time. We had a seat in the bar area which was nice for a Saturday night. But the middle aged woman was not as nice as the young lady on the previous visit. She looked very unprofessional as well. Where the other lady made sure her staff looked smart and professional while also looking the same this woman looked like she was trying to turn the place in to a bistro type place with pink ties etc which is wrong for a village pub. That I out the way service was very slow which surprised me as the place was very quiet. The menu had a few things missing which when U consider they can di specials and have lots if those is shocking. The so called managess then told us that the steaks where off the menu because they are not selling. Which is a real shame as the last time we came they looked very tasty. After the last time when the then managess / head chef came and made sure we where ok and left us to enjoy are meal to be best every few minutes if everything was ok was very annoying while trying to enjoy dinner. Then we came to dessert how can anyone that says everything us made on site think that we the public can not tell a bought in dessert massive massive disappointment. Last time we had the mist amazing home made crumble and spotted dick this time we had the most horrendous bought in cheap rubbish you can get . We will not be back at all unless there is a massive turn around all I can say is avoid the place as there ate far better places to eat

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Nice enough restaurant but not much choice on menu, don't think I will be back. Had read reviews before I went and I was expecting more, so disappointed.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I used to come to The Crooked Inn fairly regularly whenever a celebration was to be recognised within the family or on one of those 'feeling slightly flush' days. The steaks were always to die for and the manager thought nothing of coming out to ensure that the order for the steak had been taken properly and that it was going to be cooked exactly as it was liked.
Having booked the table following an absence of several years, I was amazed at just how quiet the place was when we arrived as it was always really busy before. And this was on a Saturday evening! Hmmm... it didn't take long to find out one of the main reasons. We were shown to our seat (there were only two of us, hoping for a romantic meal) and we were told as we sat down that there were no steaks. They had 'sold out'. Damn. You know that feeling when only a steak will do?
Anyway, a bit disappointed, we elected to stay and were then surprised at just how limited the menu actually was. My wife had the prawn cocktail to start, which was fine as prawn cocktails go and I had the deep fried brie which, to be fair, was delicious. For mains, my wife ordered the curry and I had the Crooked Inn 'special' burger - which was actually a home-made burger with stilton and a rasher of bacon added. Okay... both mains were edible but nothing special. If anything, my burger was overly salty which was a shame. Desserts arrived and the 'Crooked Inn Mess' was just that - a real mess! Hardly any meringue and just a large glass full of cream and raspberries. The sticky toffee pudding was fine as was the accompanying ice-cream and we did both leave somewhat full.
The service was average but I was disappointed to be told by the manageress during our meal that steak 'wasn't on the menu as no-one had been ordering it'. So, it wasn't actually 'sold-out' then?
I left a tip as is customary, however the biggest tip I could leave The Crooked Inn was that with a few minor changes, it could change it's rating from 'Average' to 'Really Good'.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stopped in here for some dinner and it was a very pleasant experience. The staff were very welcoming and couldn't have been more helpful if they tried. The menu was varied, the food was delicious and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

1  Thank LornyLoo83