“A reasonable place for a short stay but totally unacceptable lack of easy access for the less mobile.”

Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our large group of generally the older generation spent three nights here. Our room was fine but those in single rooms were upset at the location of their rooms and their smallness. Our room was perfectly adequate in size and the bathroom boasted a bath. Our view was of the wee rabbits cropping the pleasant large side lawn. We had dinners each evening prepared for the group and these were perfectly adequate with sufficient choice. Breakfast was buffet style and average for such hotels. The staff were all friendly and welcoming and helpful but probably short-handed for such a large group so that the bar queue for drinks before and with dinner was long and slow.
The most obvious problem was the total lack of any lifts and the many stairs and staircases that led to the bedroom floors. This really is unacceptable these days and seems to ignore what I thought were EU and UK regulations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kirkcaldylad
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Many thanks for your review. We accept that not having disabled access bedrooms, or a hotel lift are not ideal, and we apologise for this however I can assure you we are not contravening any laws. Your feedback is important to us and we thank you for it.
Carolyn Robertson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here before and enjoyed it. The service I got was first class the staff where happy to help nothing seemed to much to ask the food was great i did the bar food first night then moved on to the taster menu what a surprise I got what I wanted
I will be back with friends

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Many thanks for your review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with and will be looking to return. Thank you for your comments on the 6 course taster menu, this is a relatively new menu for the hotel so all feedback is great.
Thanks again.
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

As a family of 4adults and a child under 2, we received a very friendly welcome. We had a couple of minor issues which were promptly taken care of. The rooms, one double, one family room, were clean, tidy and very spacious. In the dining room, we were met with very friendly and attentive staff. They could not be more helpful, in particular with our grandchild. Nothing was a problem. The six course taster meal was unusual but very enjoyable. The leisure facility was also clean and tidy. Overall we were very satisfied on our visit and it was very good value. I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone visiting the Elgin area.
LN, Grangemouth

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, we are delighted you all had an enjoyable time here at Eight Acres Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

After a long day arriving at 8pm I was looking for to a relaxing evening with a meal and a drink. I was informed on arrival that the kitchen stopped receiving orders in half an hour. So I promptly dropped my bag in my room and went to the restaurant. I waited and waited and eventually was told to sit over there. No menu, no asking would I like a drink, no showing me to my table. To be fair there were three other customers already in the restaurant and I could only see three waitresses. Shortly after me a party of eleven arrived. Twenty minutes later having still no menu, drink etc. I managed to get a waitress's attention and ask for a menu. I was then told off for sitting down without being shown to my seat. Not true. Another long wait during which one of the original customers demanded her food she ordered or was going to leave. I could see I was in for an even longer night. I got up and found another restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014
Many thanks for your review. I am shocked by your comments as this is completely unusual for our restaurant service, many comments on trip advisor, and other guests, commend our pleasant and helpful staff. It is unfortunate that our restaurant can give the illusion of being quiet when in actual fact we can have functions of up to 200 being taken care of separately which staff are required to service, a dinner for 70 being the case on this evening. That being said there is no excuse if this was this attitude you encountered, and I will of course discuss your comments with my team. Thanks again for your review.
Carolyn Robertson

Travellers are raving about these Elgin hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

have stayed few times here and found staff so friendly and considerate,food is excellent.decor could do with upgrading but would not hesitate to recommend stay here as made to feel so welcome.loved the pool and sauna too

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Many thanks for your review of your stay here at Eight Acres Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your short break here and look forward to welcoming you back.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Check in was terrible, I waited the longest I've ever waited in any hotel during my travelling days whilst the one receptionist was having the longest and most repetivit sales conversation I've ever heard.
To be fair the the receptionist from this hotel, although she was foreign her English was good. The problem seemed to come from the person she was on the phone to not having good Elgnish. Regarldess, the conversation was about booking a room and in my opinion this shouldnt be handled by a hotel receptionist especially at peak check in times.

Some good points

-Gym and pool were decent with good quality equipemnt - although I trained at 3pm, it's tine gym might not be so good when busy
-Clean rooms
-Breakfast was quick and the poached eggs were good. Also good selection of fruit to take for that essential morning break at work.

some bad points
-Bathroom fan was very noisy and took ages to tuen off when switched lgiths off. This could be hear in both joining rooms constantly as people do ther' business'
-Food is horrific. I ordered chicken and noodles, and they still managed to make that horrible.
-I was overcharged on my first food / drinks bill and had to ask for it to be changed and got no apology
-Beds very Hard.

Woudl I stay here again? Not likely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We will take all your comments on board and where possible make improvements and we apologise if you were unsatisfied with your stay.
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a hen weekend with the girls had spa treatments and swim, couldn't fault anything apart from the stairs no lifts for luggage, or for my mum who has breathing difficulties and was Knackered by the time she got up or down them, rooms are lovely and beds comfy we had a family suite of four beds very spacious and had a sofa bed too, the food was amazing we had 6 course taster each night stay cannot fault at all, the staff were ok but need training how to clear the tables at the restaurant and bar staff very slow and watch your bills got over charged by £15 for drink we didn't even have, good stay and would come back

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Many thanks for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your hen break at the hotel. Please accept our apologies for any errors incurred, we will discuss with our staff and ensure the necessary training is in place. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Carolyn Robertson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 7 in Elgin
Stotfield Hotel
Stotfield Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lossiemouth

Been to Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!