“Faulty towers”

Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Arrived early thinking I could have had some food before going to work but unfortunately they don't serve food until 5pm although it says bar lunch menu available that is just a lie. I then drove 3 miles to give my money to brewers fayre. Then arrived back to the hotel after some nice lunch. Went to my room and almost died when I seen in, I honestly thought my company were winding me up putting me in this place, after sending my boss pictures of the hotel I got a heart felt apology and reassured that they won't be using it again. This hotel is deceiving, the main reception and restaurant are a lovely but the rooms are absolutely shocking, believe me I'm no snob, I love backpacking and sleeping rough but this was rougher. You would have to stand on the toilet to dry yourself because the bathroom is so small. The room's are horrendous, I've posted pictures because my words couldn't do it justice. And don't think the room menu is available until 9pm because it ain't, I found this after working all day and arriving back at 8:45pm to be told nothing available until breakfast. I'm now going to the bar for a few pints to help with the pain of going back into my broom cupboard. Good luck with this place.

• Stayed: June 2014
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We have several room types available, our single rooms are exactly that, single bedded rooms with ensuite facilities, the rate is good value for money as it includes bed, breakfast, wifi and use of an extensive leisure facility. Should you have wished to pay a supplement an upgrade to a double room is always available for solo travellers and many of our corporate guests use this option. We have recently updated our meal times, the new details of which have been placed in rooms, on the bar and on reception to avoid confusion.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Where to start?

Reception: smelled like it needed aired. Toilets? One overflowing, one out of order.

Rooms: smelly, dated carpet. Furniture dated and hanging together. Bed springy and uncomfortable (complete with terrible tartan scarf rider). Plug points poorly located. Shower tiny and not powerful. No safe in room. Stained walls and ceiling. Horrible lighting. Definite student halls feel. Terribly thin walls to the point I could hear conversations on both sides.

If you're booking for business, please go elsewhere. Terrible standard of accommodation freely admitted by its own reception staff.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Paul C
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We advertise our single rooms at a much discounted rate as they are small and were not part of the full refurbishment. Many of our business guests pay the appropriate rate for the accommodation they require which is usually our normal double/twin rooms. As such however £64 for a single room with breakfast, free superfast broadband, free car parking and free use of an extensive gym and swimming pool, as you booked, represents excellent value for money. Any maintenance issues are rectified as soon as possible. Thanks again.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Location is less than ideal as it is on the western fringes of Elgin, but I had a rental car and there was ample parking. The hotel staff was very nice, service in the hotel bar and restaurant were great as well. The journey to my hotel room involved a lot of stairs. This wasn't a problem for me, but I have doubts as to whether older guests or those with physical limitations would be accommodated appropriately. My tiny twin bed room was non-smoking, but I swear it smelled as if someone had smoked in there. My allergies hated me. The walls could use fresh paint and the carpets were stained. I am low maintenance, but I think the room itself just wasn't up to par given the price. Probably wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Cassandra H

Thank you for your review, We will pass your comments on to our head office who control the budgets for refurbishment. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have visited this hotel on a number of occasions over the last thirty years. On a previous visit I was disappointed on how dilapidated the interior had become and the poor level of service. It was with a bit trepidation I booked a weekend stay in April. I was pleasantly surprised by the changes and improvements. Without doubt I will be back.

Room Tip: Beware there are no lifts and rooms may be a fair distance away from bar and restaurant. Not handy f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, we are pleased your return visit was a success and we are glad you gave us that opportunity. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The service was slow & the hotel didn't seem to be that busy. The drinks were expensive. Our room was small with not a lot of storage. (We were there for 4 nights.) The bed was hard with a single duvet on a double bed we didn't get a great nights sleep. The bathroom tired & in a poor state. I think last updated in the 70's. The staff were friendly & helpful tho. This hotel is not a 4 star by far. Had we not had a lot of friends staying there I would have checked out and went somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your review. I am unsure as to why you think our hotel was a 4 star? Perhaps your review is for a different establishment? We will however discuss your comments amongst our team.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is tired!
The Staff are lovely!
The bedrooms are very basic and could do with refurbishment.
The leisure club and swimming pool are the exact opposite of the rest of the hotel. Very good facility.

Room Tip: Sorry can't recommend a room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for your review, we have taken your comments on board.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our large group of generally the older generation spent three nights here. Our room was fine but those in single rooms were upset at the location of their rooms and their smallness. Our room was perfectly adequate in size and the bathroom boasted a bath. Our view was of the wee rabbits cropping the pleasant large side lawn. We had dinners each evening prepared for the group and these were perfectly adequate with sufficient choice. Breakfast was buffet style and average for such hotels. The staff were all friendly and welcoming and helpful but probably short-handed for such a large group so that the bar queue for drinks before and with dinner was long and slow.
The most obvious problem was the total lack of any lifts and the many stairs and staircases that led to the bedroom floors. This really is unacceptable these days and seems to ignore what I thought were EU and UK regulations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kirkcaldylad

Many thanks for your review. We accept that not having disabled access bedrooms, or a hotel lift are not ideal, and we apologise for this however I can assure you we are not contravening any laws. Your feedback is important to us and we thank you for it.
Carolyn Robertson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 7 in Elgin
Stotfield Hotel
Stotfield Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lossiemouth

Been to Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!