“Great for business guests!”

Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Manchester
“Great for business guests!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

As a regular business traveller I use many hotels around the country. This hotel doesn't look great on the outside but is a huge surprise when you enter! Spacious comfortable public areas, good sized clean bedrooms, staff are mainly locals which is good to see, they are friendly and helpful. Hotel has added benefits for business travellers of early breakfast from 7am, free superfast wifi, excellent leisure facilities and lots of parking. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Many thanks for your review, your comments as a regular business traveller are most welcome. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Carolyn Robertson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Lossiemouth
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Had my wedding here in May, had meetings with 3 of the 4 people in charge of weddings over the 2 years planning. I organised my wedding to perfection and even gave Claire a folder detailing all details and instructions so all she had to do was read it but that did not happen. Half my kids favours weren't put out and the adult ones were put out wrong! The name cards looked like they were thrown on the table. The staff were rude to guests through out the meal and constantly walked away without helping when asked for anything or went to 'find out' and never returned! The grooms speech was ruined as the flowers and gifts were nowhere to be seen when he went to hand them out. Any issues on the day were met by a blank look on Claire's face, I am assuming she is not really from a catering background as she doesn't come across as qualified for the position. The reception staff the day after the wedding was absolutely useless, I've never met anyone as uninterested in my life! Went to find out about missing items and she wouldn't even stand up to look or do anything! I am still waiting 6weeks later to hear that the have found the item!
On another note if you do have people coming to stay at this hotel tell them to pay a bit extra for a double room as the single rooms are awful!!! I have bigger cupboards!
I would not recommend this hotel and especially not for a wedding. At least not unless they had another staff turnover!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Adeleroo
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review on your wedding reception. It is always disappointing to receive reviews which are not a true or accurate representation of the service provided, particularly those outwith the hotels role as venue. We will however review your comments with the team here.
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

As in other reviews hotel is quite dated though our room was ok not great but ok comfy bed though! There was damp marks round window a and plaster was flaking, the room was roasting hot and the window didn't open very far as it was screwed down. The shower was great! We were on DBB rate and thought we had to eat in dining room the food was not for me as I don't like fancy food so I was quite surprised at the menu.(to me it was too fancy) no one explained we could eat from bar menu as well!!! Another guest told us. The food there was superb and plentiful. We were there for 4 days I only went for breakfast the first day and asked for scrambled eggs god knows what it was they put before me it was disgusting I couldn't eat it. I enquired if this was normal and the reply was yes in such as snide way that I felt so uncomfortable I wouldn't go back for breakfast, I worked in the catering trade for many years and I would have never served that mess or spoken to a guest that way. Also when we had bar meals first night no one explained we had to go to bar to order food with drinks it seemed that if your face fitted you got quick table service if not you had to fend for yourself, they forgot my drink my husband had to ask, they brought the food no cutlery...had to ask,.... No offer of sauces or condiments had to ask for that too, yet other guests were waited on hand and foot. Even after all that the food was superb...... When it came and we were able to eat it.i didn't find the staff friendly as I expected, they seemed as if they didn't care. I have toured all over Scotland and the people on a whole have been superb. The gym facilities were excellent as was the pool and sauna. I wouldn't stay here again just for that though those were just a bonus. Have to say I was disappointed.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Stromab
Many thanks for your review. I am disappointed on your comments with regards to menus and dining options. The 6 course taster menu is for the dinner bed and breakfast guests, if however guests advise us that they would prefer a bar meal, we happily accommodate this request. I will discuss your comments with my teams and will ensure changes are made where required.
Carolyn Robertson

Travellers are raving about these Elgin hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After having my wedding reception at this hotel I felt I had to review it to advise any future brides and grooms to check, double check and triple check with the "wedding planners" all the arrangements, times and all fine details you want on your big day. I had numerous meetings at the hotel and thought my day would go exactly as I had planned as I wanted it to run like a military operation and unfortunately due to the lack of communication between the staff this did not happen.
Following the wedding a letter of complaint was sent to which we received a reply and were totally shocked by the tone of the letter basically not believing any of the incidents occurred bar one.
Couldn't fault the meal and waiting staff but certainly wouldn't book another function there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank campbelli
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to give feedback on your wedding day. Feedback is vital for us to recognise strengths and weaknesses. I am sorry you were unhappy with the letter response, but following our meeting two days ago I trust you now fully understand the clarification given by the hotel.
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Although the hotel is modern downstairs the bedrooms are stuck in the 70's. The room was small with horrendous décor. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and the noise from the plumbing system made it difficult to get any sleep. Breakfast was very disappointing. I was given 2 undercooked eggs with 1 slice of toast. We asked for tea for 2 and were given a large teapot with 1 teabag. Disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Many thanks for your review, and our apologies if the rooms and décor were not to your taste. I have discussed your comments with my team.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and i stayed here 2 nights for a short spa break. We had 3 treatments each as part of the deal. The room was very comfortable, clean and modern. The meal included in the deal was delicious and we upgraded to steak for a few pounds extra. Breakfast was also good - i had the french toast and my husband the full breakfast. The gym and swimming pool is well kitted out and used by non-residents - i imagine its the best gym in Elgin. The spa treatments were great. Even though these aren't really my thing, the assistant was great and really helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel - can't remember any problems at all.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Many thanks for your review, we are delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the use of our extensive leisure facilities. I will pass your comments on to our spa on the treatments also. We look forward to welcoming you back.
fort william
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Arrived early thinking I could have had some food before going to work but unfortunately they don't serve food until 5pm although it says bar lunch menu available that is just a lie. I then drove 3 miles to give my money to brewers fayre. Then arrived back to the hotel after some nice lunch. Went to my room and almost died when I seen in, I honestly thought my company were winding me up putting me in this place, after sending my boss pictures of the hotel I got a heart felt apology and reassured that they won't be using it again. This hotel is deceiving, the main reception and restaurant are a lovely but the rooms are absolutely shocking, believe me I'm no snob, I love backpacking and sleeping rough but this was rougher. You would have to stand on the toilet to dry yourself because the bathroom is so small. The room's are horrendous, I've posted pictures because my words couldn't do it justice. And don't think the room menu is available until 9pm because it ain't, I found this after working all day and arriving back at 8:45pm to be told nothing available until breakfast. I'm now going to the bar for a few pints to help with the pain of going back into my broom cupboard. Good luck with this place.

• Stayed June 2014
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you for your review. We have several room types available, our single rooms are exactly that, single bedded rooms with ensuite facilities, the rate is good value for money as it includes bed, breakfast, wifi and use of an extensive leisure facility. Should you have wished to pay a supplement an upgrade to a double room is always available for solo travellers and many of our corporate guests use this option. We have recently updated our meal times, the new details of which have been placed in rooms, on the bar and on reception to avoid confusion.
Carolyn Robertson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#7 of 7 in Elgin
Stotfield Hotel
Stotfield Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lossiemouth

Been to Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!