“Enjoyable? Not so much”

Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Tired building with very thin walls, we could hear exactly what next door were taking about and at night?well you get the picture. The food was ok but nothing special, needs a huge refurbishment, Overall would we stay here again? Don't think so.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your review, as always we will take your comments on board and where possible will strive to make improvements,

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have attended many weddings at the eight acres over the years until now I have never had any complaints . I have written to the hotel and have had no reply. I attended a wedding on the 10 th May 2014. The bride put her heart and soul into this wedding she planned and spoke to everyone concerned . The wedding went off as planned. There was no organisation about the serving of the canapés they were left on a table no one offered the drinks that were available at this point. When we went to sit at the tables there was no information that the toast drinks were to be collected prior to sitting down. The menu had been previously selected but the bride had been told that this was for information only and that there would be the opportunity to select on the day. This was not the case. The staff were abrupt and said that we had pre ordered . We had to ask for wine to be topped up. During the speeches no one was available to give the flowers for the mothers or the sister of the groom who had made the wedding cake. The food was cold and not up to the standard that I would expect from this hotel far below her sisters wedding in February at the Mansefield . When we got back into the sherwood suite for the dance we joined my daughter and her husband at the table they had been siting at. I couldn't put my feet on the floor as it was covered in food the tablecloth was covered in tomato sauce . On the whole it was disgusting . I wrote to the hotel and to date it have not received a reply .
Any comments by the bride and her bridesmaid have been remove

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cahz
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for your comments, however we would only discuss details of a wedding service with the bride and groom as they are the ones who contract and pay for our services, they are then fully aware of what is and isn't part of the service provided.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Having been given a Crerar voucher from my daughter for a gluten free high tea, after phoning ahead to book we arrived at the Eight Acres hotel. They obviously new very little about catering for gluten free and my mixed grill, less sausage( which they could not guarantee to be gluten free) was duly served. The minute steak was tough and overcooked and the bacon was dried up. I had suspicions after the chips which had a coating were not gluten free. My partner's roast chicken dinner was overcooked and swimming in a tasteless gravy and was very unappetising. The sweet was a disappointment with either fruit salad or ice cream on the menu. They could not guarantee that the ice cream was gluten free and opting for fruit salad , I was horrified to find it 90% orange with some apple and a strawberry halved. No imagination and a great disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank David B
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your comments on your high tea, it is extremely unusual for us to receive such negative feedback on our catering. I have discussed your comments with my food service teams and where possible we will review and rectify.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Coming up from Exeter I was told on my day of travel by my booking company that the Eigh Acres had cancelled my hotel.
They gave no other option of an alternative, leaving me having to drive around the Highlands during Peak Season trying to find accommodation.
Shameful, be careful when you book with this outfit online!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Devonshirebeef

Thank you for your comments, however we have no record of cancelling any bookings via agents or otherwise. In such a situation we are obligated to find alternative accommodation and we would always do so.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have just had a 4 day business trip to Scotland, stopping in 3 different hotels in Glasgow and Aberdeen and then here. This is by far the worst hotel I have stopped in for a long time. On arrival at the hotel, it looks dated and a little run down from the exterior. The reception area looked OK. I had a single room, and it was shabby and needed completely refurbishing. The furniture was all damaged and no doors on the "wardrobe", the carpet was dirty and stained. The workstation was cramped,The bathroom and shower area was tiny, hardly any room to get into it. The bed creaked at every turn and overnight, there was the echoing of doors shutting in the corridors which made it hard for a good nights sleep. I ate in the bar and the food was good. I cannot comment on breakfast because I had to leave early the next morning.
The positives were that the hotel offered free wi fi and that I had to leave early the next morning.
Of the 3 hotels I stayed in on my trip, this was by far the worst and the most expensive, I wont be using it again on future business trips.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Mike R
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your review. Our single rooms are small and are therefore priced accordingly, an upgrade to a double room is always an option at a supplement for those who prefer additional space. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

There were six of us stayed at the eight acres hotel on 26th of July.The rooms were nice a bit tired but clean lots of hot water the beds were large had a good nights sleep we looked out at the garden tea& coffee &shortbread in our room .We were bedbreakfast & evening meal the breakfast was great you had a good choice we had buffet on Sunday morning on Monday it was waitress service the evening meal was a 6 course taster menus the food was great a very good choice the staff were great very helpful the restaurant manager was very helpful and friendly .we also used the swimming pool and they gave us towels which was good as you did not have to take with you we had a great time there only thing it would have been nice if there was some entertainment at night we had to go into Elgin taxis were about £4 to £5 which was reasonable

Room Tip: There are no lfts in this hotel so any body with walking difficulties should let staff know when the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy R

Many thanks for your review, we are pleased your party had a good break at the hotel. We have discussed your comments as a team and will implement any changes required. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have just returned from experiencing the afternoon tea spa package at Eight Acres Hotel,staff very friendly and the massage was great, the swimming pool area could do with modernising but adequate. The afternoon tea was better than all our expectations, beautifully presented,very nice selection, this rounded off a really nice afternoon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for reviewing our spa afternoon teas, the spa is a relatively new addition to the hotel market so we are pleased that you had a positive experience. We look forward to welcoming you back.