Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Thu, 30 May
No prepayment needed
Simon A

Awful experience

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 24 Jan 2023
The grand staircase looked impressive, but as soon as I opened the bedroom door the disappointment hit me. Uneven floorboard underneath worn carpet which was rippled in places and not secured properly. Holes in the wall where a headboard once would have been, bed lamps 6 feet up the wall, which would have required Go Go Gadget arms to reach from the bed! Electrical socket not securely fixed to the wall, Knackered after a long physical day at work, I thought maybe a shower would help the situation, but the shower on/off button only worked intermittently, and once that finally stayed on I would have had more water pressure from a watering can! Whilst I left that to try and warm the water, I pulled the quilt back only to find dirt inside the quilt and it covered in black fluff!
After complaining I was moved rooms, and whilst the bedding in the second room was clean, upon sitting on the bed the mattress had so little support left in it that I went straight through onto the solid bed base! Shower was much more powerful, but still cold, and the handle for the shower head was tied on with string.
The best part about the visit was the departure, at 3.30am because of such a poor sleep on such a poor quality mattress.
Needless to say I will not be back!
Date of stay: January 2023
Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly decorated rooms that seems to have much better reviews
Trip type: Travelled on business
    £109
0.7 miles from The Royal Hotel-Elgin
3.9 miles from The Royal Hotel-Elgin
View more hotels in Elgin
All reviews food was lovely couple of nights first floor comfortable bed nicola lidl
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 January 2023 via mobile

Comfortable, quiet, clean and warm accommodation with plenty of hot water for washing and showering in the en-suite. Caring friendly staff and a tasty breakfast to start the day. Close to the train station with Lidl and Asda just over the road and a 5 minute walk to the town center. An enjoyable stay was had.

Room tip: The Hotel has a good sized parking area at the front of the hotel, so if you either drive or get the train here, accessibility is so easy
Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2022

Outstanding stay. Immaculate cleanliness, marvellous breakfast and efficient, friendly staff. Nothing is too much bother.

A very characterful building with a majestic staircase

Looking forward to our next visit

Date of stay: December 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2022

Overall experience was awesome.
Excellent property and very convenient for commuting. The front desk staff is extremely helpful, friendly, and efficient. There is a fantastic old-time charm to the property and it is very clean. We enjoyed both our breakfast and dinner, of which were deliciously prepared
I'll recommend dis hotel to every couple and family. You won't regret it, just be there.

Date of stay: November 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2022

Stayed there for work trip 1 week in October . Couldn't fault anything . Rooms were comfortable , kudos to Housekeeping team for keeping my room extremely clean . Comfortable Bed and it gives you a homely feeling despite being a hotel, Had Breakfast everyday , excellent Scottish breeakfast , cooked to order better then chain hotels where one has to pickup from hot buffet .

Nicola and Alex both are assets to Royal hotel , superstars !

Had dinner for 2 nights , excellent freshly cooked delicious meal , shame that the restaurant was not full , as the food and service both are top notch.

Date of stay: October 2022
Reviewed 3 October 2022

Stayed at the royal hotel Saturday night. Public areas clean. Bedroom on first floor was nothing like the pictures online. Smelled as you opened door and got worse from there. Floor sloped towards middle of room. A bottle of water slid off unit onto floor. One towel between 2 people. I asked for a towel which was no problem, I mentioned the room was worst I’ve stayed in to the receptionist and she said yeah they aren’t the best! Told me spare towels would be in cupboard in room except the door handle came away in my hand and no towel. Rusted radiators and toilet seat. Bed had no headboard just the bed against the wall. Bed was however comfy. Room faced main road so slept till around 5.30 am then quite heavy traffic. Breakfast was very good except cold tea and coffee. When we left we looked for staff so we could feedback to them but there was no one and had locked the main door. I’ve pictures of all the above issues. As I said parts of hotel lovely and well maintained but don’t be fooled by some of the bedrooms.

Date of stay: October 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple