Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Thu, 6 Jun
Ste baker
Kingswinford, United Kingdom

Decent hotel, great staff

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 1 Feb 2024via mobile
Stayed here overnight during a business trip with 2 work colleagues.

Staff at the hotel were superb, nothing was too much trouble.

My room was in the top floor and it appeared to be fairly new. It was a nice big room, the bathroom was big also.

The shower was poor, no power to it at all.

On the evening my room was really warm but when I woke the next morning it was freezing cold!!! I’m guessing the radiators are on a timer. It was a very windy day and because it’s quite an old hotel you could feel a breeze blowing through the room.

I had an evening meal and breakfast at the hotel. Both were really good. A good menu on the evening with plenty of choice and the breakfast had a good selection of cold foods plus a cooked breakfast.

I would stay here again if I was in Elgin.
Date of stay: January 2024
  • ZenHotels.com
  • Lol.travel
3.9 miles from The Royal Hotel-Elgin
View more hotels in Elgin
All reviews food was lovely couple of nights first floor comfortable bed nicola lidl
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 December 2023

We stayed over to attend the funeral of our close friends father. We stayed in the annex at the side of the hotel. The room was very clean and just the right size for our short stay. We had a comfortable night. We had breakfast before booking out. We had a full cooked breakfast which set us up for the day. As the church was within walking distance we were allowed to leave our car in the car park for as long as we wanted to. Overall te staff were so kind and helpful it really enhanced our stay. We will definetely return and would recommend the royal to anyone.

Room tip: Central for walking into town.
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2023

A very poor hotel.
After checking in I went down to the bar and there was a man complaining that he had no hot water for two days in his room. That should have been a warning.
After getting back from a meal out I went to the bar. Bar well that's an over statement, If you like Tenents lager then your fine as that is the only tap beer they have everything else is in bottles.
It was 20:15 i went to pay for it and was told they had cashed up and so could not pay by card, lucky I had some cash.
The room was okay.
I had already check my hot water and had some so went to bed.
I got up in the morning and went for a shower only to find that the shower didn't work the temp knob was jammed so you could have it cold or cold.
Breakfast was worse the milk for the coffee was off they took my order and brought the wrong things, the same for the gentleman sat in there. All in all a very bad hotel, so bad we checked out a day early and found another hotel.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2023

A very nice Hotel I was away for business. I had a very big room and the WiFi was very good too. Great breakfast Nicola was very helpful which also included doing some laundry for us as well which really helped us out with our work clothes. I Will look to staying there again on my next business trip.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2023

We didnt stay, used restaurant only - was superb. Staff welcoming, food excellent. Had a 3 course meal 26th Aug for our daughters birthday. Asked on arrival privately, if my daughter was able for pudding could they throw a candle on top or something. The lovely waitress said she would see what they could do. Not only did the cheesecake come with 3 candles and singing, they went out and got candles especially when the pudding order went in! How many places would do that? Staff were so friendly and welcoming. Food amazing. All 3 courses and the red wine were perfect. We couldn't find a single fault. The mango cheesecake and sticky toffee pudding was beautiful. Cheesecake soooo light.
Portion sizes generous and prices fair. Regret not taking food photos but couldn't wait to try it all!
We will definitely be back the next time we are in Elgin.
Plenty of parking at hotel or across the road.
I have no idea why this restaurant wasn't full tonight. It deserved to be!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2023

Went to the Royal for a family meal, the menu was limited and the two fish dishes on it were not available. The food we had were very well cooked and tasty and reasonably priced. The service by the one and only young lady was very good and service was quick. How ever the price of drinks was astronomical and with no ice available, there was only one draft lager Tenants ,it was disappointing, the bar also shut at 9.30 which was a shock,

Room tip: Avoid the drinks
  • Trip type: Travelled with family