“Fine discovery in Moray Scotland”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Laichmoray Hotel

Laichmoray Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Mid Hudson, New York
“Fine discovery in Moray Scotland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Choice of hotel chosen chiefly because of proximity to railway station. Room was a single, adequate furnishings, bed comfortable with good linens and warm duvet. Heating good (Northern Scotland in mid-November: this is important!) bath decently appointed with small enclosed shower, good bath towels, floor mat, yes, heating (again!) although lighting was not really enough for proper shaving. Small wall mounted TV (15-17in? but no comment as to available content as it was never turned on. Corridor noise and street noise gratefully absent hence sleep quality very good.. Note: bedside reading light was woefully inadequate for reading - this is an important complaint. Am I truly alone in this objection? The really compelling quality of the hotel is the late Victorian ambience, the friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff and the quality of the dining. The dining - excellent - there is something here to be developed in detail, but in much more detail by qualified writers than myself. Look elsewhere under the restaurant caption to be amply rewarded. Elgin is located in the heart of the Speyside distilleries of Scotland so no not overlook the Laighmoray bar offerings or the informed advice of the barman An overnight stay - blast! - will be several days more next time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ilkley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Well placed for both motorists and rail-travellers and fair value when compared with other hotels in the area. Bedrooms are quite good - an excellent bed helps - though the bathrooms are nothing special and the shower was feeble.

The food at dinner was excellent, less so at breakfast, as was the service. The wine list is pathetic, a lazily put-together collection of New World nonentities. The choice of whisky sort of makes up for it.

Public rooms were overheated, but Wi-Fi is free and overall, the welcome is fine and friendly. Only staying one night meant there was nothing to complain about overall.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SeanIlkley
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a week in October 2012 for business purposes on recommendation from a colleague. My room was excellent and the service from the hotel staff was simply superb - very friendly reception staff.
The food at the hotel is of a very good standard too, exceptional breakfasts. The hotel is a warm refuge from the very bitterly cold weather that I experienced whilst in the area. There is a small bar/pub attached to the hotel too which was very welcoming.
I am looking forward to returning to the Laich Moray very soon as it is a very comfortable hotel with great rooms which are clean and ample in space. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Okotoks, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Whilst visiting Scotland (from Canada), we took train from Glasgow up to Elgin with no arrangements made for accomodation - when we arrived in Elgin I asked the porter where hotels were located and he pointed out one right across the road from the train station - easy decision as it looked just fine (and my wife liked all the flowers surrounding it). Reception staff were very nice, they had a room available so in we went. Clean room - was small but had everything we needed. Went back to reception staff for assistance - we were on a mission to locate a house I had lived in for a couple of years near the neighboring village of Hopeman almost 40 years ago (near Air Force base Kinloss where my dad had been stationed) - I recalled the name of the house and some surrounding details but no address. Norma advised we would need a cab as it would be 3 or 4 miles away, and thought best should be a driver who knew the area - phoned a cab owning acquaintence - cab showed up in a few minutes and with my sketchy description had us at the house (which I instantly recognized) within 10 minutes - talk about helpful people !!
There is a nice little lounge just up from reception which was great for a quiet nightcap to celebrate the day's success!
Room at hotel included breakfast which was great - both cold fruits, salads, etc. as well as hot meals such as the poached smoked haddock I had, which was superb.
Would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat !

Room Tip: As we learned in our travels of the UK - just don't expect hotel rooms the size of those in Nort...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
W Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights last week.

The rooms are decent enough, but at £78 a night I wouldn't describe them as great value for money; but this is deepest darkest Scotland and decent value hotels are non existant.

The bar and the food are both very good, the food espeically for the price is well worth the visit.

There is free wifi.

The position of the hotel is ok, but being on a busy roundabout might mean that a front room might ne noisey at night.

Service is good and you feel like they actually care which is nice. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ZX6RRick
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at the Laichmoray on a Saturday night and will think twice before doing so again. I had booked a single room but was still surprised to have a single bed, however the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately, I didnt get much sleep due to the wedding taking place and guests staying over making lots of noise most of the night. I did try to call down to reception to ask if they could ask other guests to keep the noise down but unfortunately the phone in my room did not work! On checkout i did mention to the receptionist that i didnt get much sleep but she didnt seem too concerned about it. I usually stay at the Premier Inn and on the one occassion when I couldnt sleep due to noise, they gave me another night free of charge. When I went for breakfast, I felt rushed as they were setting up for lunch so lots of noise as they cleared tables and I felt that they just wanted me to leave as soon as possible so that they could re-set my table. Overall, a disappointing stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cosmosedin
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

My partner & I stayed here for two nights as we were up visiting family. We picked this hotel from Tripadvisor as we have done on our last few breaks, not disappointed again. This hotel is very clean, staff are very helpful and friendly, bar food and restaurant food is very good also lots of choice at the bar especially Whisky as you would expect from this area .We took a walk around the local park on the Sunday night and arrived back around 8.30 just as then kitchen was beginning to close for the night so they very quickly rustled up some freshly made sandwiches and salad for us. We had a great breakfast both mornings this was very good with mix of cereal, yogurts and a cooked breakfast if you wanted. The staff here were very friendly & I would highly recommend this place if staying in or around Elgin, ideal place to use as a base.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Premier Inn Elgin Hotel
#7 of 7 in Elgin
The Station Hotel
The Station Hotel
#1 of 2 in Rothes

Been to Laichmoray Hotel? Share your experiences!