“Decent enough food but lacking in strong service and atmosphere”
Review of Lido Restaurant - CLOSED

Lido Restaurant
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: European, French, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2014

It was a Fri night and the restaurant was full. There were 2 waitresses, both seemed rushed off their feet and as a result mistakes were made, not with the food but with the overall service. No drinks order was taken until we had to prompt the waitress whilst she was taking our main order that we would like a drink, they either forgot to ask beforehand or they don't bother to ask. Either way it's a crime not to ask if we would like a drink before we even begin to choose our meals. We also asked for water along with the wine but that was forgotten also so another prompt to the waitress. I asked for ketchup along with my steak and fries but that too was forgotten so another prompt. You get the idea. The restaurant is small and we were sat in the middle of the restaurant and often the waitress would be running by us, which doesnt look at all professional in this kind of restaurant. The simple truth is they are understaffed and it shows. The food was fine, the king prawns in garlic sauce was divine, the steak was serviceable but the dessert menu was very disappointing, an afterthought menu of ice creams and mousse. I had the chocolate and mango mousse and it was incredibly sweet and sickly and I couldnt eat it. All in all I doubt I will be returning. I still believe the restaurant next door to be of better overall standard, The akash.

1  Thank gjlmac

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Lido does not look very prepossessing, but the quality of the food was very good. It's a family-run business and service might be a bit slow if the restaurant is full, but the wait is worth it.

2  Thank R C
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Top quality food, well cooked, with excellent seasoning and presentation
Fresh salads, amazing tastes and textures.
Always willing to cater for changes and dietary needs.

2  Thank Sonz999
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised with my experience of Lido. We are on a Friday and the restaurant was very quiet, hence the 4 for atmosphere. But the music was good and the waitress very attentive and friendly. The food was delicious. I started with scallops (soooo good) then I had the duck which just melted in my mouth, cooked to perfection, m/r as I requested. I was annoyed that I hadnt tried this place sooner and wasted money in previous months on very mediocre meals in the area. Such good value as well- 2 courses and half a bottle of wine for just over £30! Will definitely be back soon.

3  Thank Lossiemouth24
Reviewed 13 August 2014

There's something wrong here - The photo (dated 2012) looks nothing like the Lido restaurant where we ate lunch yesterday, on South Street in Elgin (no carpets, basic chairs, woody feeling). At lunch, it is a basic sandwich shop - albeit good sandwiches, wraps, paninis, etc.- but hopelessly understaffed. The place was half-full but most of the empty tables hadn't been cleared and cleaned.
We ordered a bottle of sparkling water with our lunch. The water took almost forever to appear, barely beating the food, and was at room temperature. He's in the kitchen, she's alone out front, running madly around but disorganized and overwhelmed.
The price was fair.