“Great Tour of Cashmere Mill”

Johnstons of Elgin Mill Tour
Ranked #1 of 5 Tours in Elgin
Fairfield County
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Great Tour of Cashmere Mill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

The tour showing how cashmere is made was excellent. Our guide gave us a detailed tour of the process and although I have seen this process before, the tour was very good. The visual display coming into the tour is also excellent showing in the differences between cashmere, vicuna, merino, etc. The cashmere shop is nice but nothing like Bruar's and selection was more limited. Quality is excellent and they make garments and scarves for many designers. Very nice housewares and furnishings store with nice pillows, throws and blankets. Good stop. Selection more limited with cashmere and they didn't have a year around selection. You do need to make an appointment for tour.

Visited May 2014

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Shop and Cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I haven't actually had the tour of the mill but I have visited the shop many times - it has a great variety of clothes esp for men - barbour coats for example! The cafe is lovely a must visit if you're in the area.

Visited August 2013
Malvern, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Where to eat in Elgin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Last week I visited Johnstons of Elgin with our Scottish friends and enjoyed one of the best lunches I have had in a long while. Not only was the food of excellent quality and quantity but the prices were extremely reasonable. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the clothes shop where the quality was exceptional but the prices were unbelievable. The clothes shop was virtually empty and the restaurant , by the time we left, was heaving. This says it all.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Sally B
Scottsdale, Arizona
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 182 helpful votes
“The tour is terrific; the shopping is even better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I went on the tour and found it really interesting. There were only 3 other people on the tour. We had booked ahead but I am not sure that is necessary. We learned about the entire milling process, from raw cashmere to finished scarves. The process has improved, but is fundamentally the same as it was when the mill started production in 1797. We also learned alot about the River Lossie - - how the water is used in the milling process and how it has flooded the site. There are markers on the site indicating the height of the water during some of the worst floods. Very interesting.

But, after the tour be sure to do some shopping. The quality of the cashmere in the shop is excellent and the selection is extensive. The men's cashmere and the women's cashmere are expensive, but appropriately priced for the quality of cashmere. Allow enough time to really enjoy looking at all of the beautiful clothing and scarves. I thought that the children's cashmere clothing was simply too expensive. Even though the quality of the cashmere was beautiful, over $100 for a size 2 sweater did not seem worth it to me. I bought gifts for my grandchildren elsewhere.

Visited August 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit - brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Probably very fortunate to be the only two on the tour but we found it extremely interesting! After a short video presentation Hayley, our tour guide took over, clearly explaining the processes involved from 'goat to garment' and taking us into the various processing departments to see the action.

Visited September 2013