We stayed at the Premier Inn in Elgin for one night on our way from Aberdeen to Mallaig. The hotel is very easy to find - it's on the A96 just as you're coming in to Elgin. As they say in their advertising, "A good night's sleep at a good price."
While not our favourite of all the Premier Inns where we've stayed, the Elgin hotel was reasonably priced, clean, comfortable, and convenient, which is really all that you need when you're in transit from point A to point B.
Sammy, the young lady at reception, was very helpful in finding us a restaurant in town. As we were in the mood for Indian, she recommended the Akash Tandoori, which turned out to be exactly what we were looking for. The food was delicious, and very reasonably priced. We took our supper back to the hotel, and had our meal while watching the large flat screen television in the room. Later, we walked next door to the Scottish restaurant (McDonald's) for ice cream.
While we were talking to Sammy, we noticed the large mural of Elgin Cathedral behind the desk. We went by the Cathedral on our way in to town (it was closed by then), and were so impressed that we spent several hours there the following day.
The Elgin Premier Inn is very close to the Cathedral, and only a few miles from the Moray coast. Findhorn is nearby, as well. We actually spent so much time in Elgin that we didn't arrive in Mallaig until 9 p.m.
The car park at the Elgin Premier Inn is smack dab in the middle of an industrial site, so you may end up parking with the lorries, especially if you arrive late in the day. We didn't take breakfast at the hotel, so we can't attest to its quality or quantity. One minor quibble - there appeared to be no way to turn right out of the car park on to the A96, so we had to turn left and make a u-turn at the roundabout. A minor inconvenience.
We've noticed that the desk staff at all of the Premier Inns where we've stayed are exceedingly friendly and helpful. Sammy, of course, in the evening, and Demi, in the morning, are a credit to the hotel. We just wish that staff in some of the more traditional hotels could learn from their examples.
We really enjoyed this hotel, and shall gladly return. If it weren't for our time constraints, we would have stayed longer
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Start your Scottish adventure at Premier Inn Hotel Elgin, just a short drive from the epic Highlands and legendary Loch Ness. Whether you're headed for the Cairngorms or business and leisure destinations in Elgin and Aberdeen, you'll find us a great place to rest. Take time out to reflect in Elgin's Biblical Gardens. Discover the impressive ruins of Elgin Cathedral. Or seek out the 'Water of Life' on the world-famous Malt Whisky Trail. And when you're ready to relax, return for a bite to eat in our tasty restaurant and a great night's sleep in your extra-comfy bed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Premier Inn Elgin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Inn Elgin Hotel Elgin
- Premier Inn Elgin Hotel Moray