“FABULOUS -- truly (and I'm from San Francisco!)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elgin
Moray Bank Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 23 Elgin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have photos that I will post when I get the chance -- but it's summer and Zofia deserves to do as much business during high season as possible, so I don't want to wait!

I have been travelling to Scotland since 1983 -- maybe 15 trips of 2 weeks or longer. I know the standard of bed-and-breakfasts in Scotland, which -- at least based on my experience -- is generally very good.

I'd never stayed in Elgin. When we got to Elgin -- arriving late and tired -- Zofia's lovely, beautiful, gracious, elegant, spotless home was heavenly to come to. (By the way -- for some reason, most B&B's do not have a top sheet -- only a duvet. This is NOT good -- esp. of it's warm, because you either have to throw off the heavy duvet or sweat, esp. if it's on a noisy street. Also - -I don't believe that people actually wash a duvet cover every day so -- eesh!) Zofia DOES have a top sheet (great, since it was lovely and warm in Elgin). Of cousre, knowing Zofia, I am 100% certain she WOULD wash the duvet cover each day!

We only intended to stay one night, stayed two - -and wished we could have stayed longer. It's really one of the very best B&B's I've ever stayed in. And I have high (but reasonable) standards.

She is wonderful -- and takes real pride in her home and providing beautiful accommodation to her guests. Cannot recommend it highly enough -- esp. if you are a couple and looking for something a bit...lovely to make you feel pampered on your trip. Our room was LARGE and beautiful!

If you like Indian food, DO NOT MISS "Spice" which is about 2 blocks away. It's beautiful and the food is exceptional (and San Francisco is known as a food city - -and has any kind of cuisine you can imagine). Also, there is a new pub called the Drouthy Tailor. It is great! (and how surprised were we to find Anchor Steam beer from San Francisco in bottles there?! It's our very local brew...) It has a very friendly, local, low-key and very pleasant atmosphere -- all ages (we are in our 50s, but had a great time with the very polite and nice young men tending bar and the clientele...) And I understand they have music on the weekends, too.

Elgin has sadly been pedestrianized and a shopping mall at one side (like Perth, another bad decision).
The first time I was there (last year, but didn't stay in the town), I drove completely around it. Didn't look like anything was there! You have to go in, walk through the center, really look closely at the stunning Georgian buildings, go to the cathedral (which was one of the two greatest in all of Britain before the Wolf of Badenoch destroyed it...) Elgin grows on you...you really have to spend some time there. We didn't think too much of it after Day 1...after Day 2, we were really sorry to leave. And the environs (Speyside distilleries, the Pictish fort at Burghead, Findhorn, Pluscarden Abbey -- which is fabulous and the drive is so beautiful in and of itself! etc) are lovely to just wander through... Very nice people in Elgin. And surprinsingly, a lot of people who are not from there, just liked the place and stayed... But back to Zofia - -HUGE rooms. Lovely. Wonderful breakfast. And we loved Zofia, too!

Room Tip: Quiet street -- I'm sure they're all lovely!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SFintheFogBelt

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed for 3 nights while visiting our son in Elgin, Zofia is superb hard working host who keeps her B & B spotless and always has time for chat and is full of great information. Our room was large with lots of storage space, TV, Tea tray with plenty of tea and coffee, good wi-fi also. en-suite bathroom with nice shower, basin and wc plenty of clean towels.
Nice choice for breakfast all prepared and served in the grand breakfast room made special with a large 9 foot Christmas Tree fully decorated, would love to see the room Christmas morning with large rectangle table which must seat at least 12 plus and fire burning in the marble fireplace.
To conclude a super find and will not hesitate to return when visiting Elgin, it is also a short walk to the town centre.

Room Tip: Book early as only 3 rooms and is popular place.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Busterbills
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I found Zofia's B&B after several months of staying in a larger hotel in Elgin which I found soulless and cramped. I am in the town several times a month with work and the Moraybank is my home from home: comfortable and elegant, a haven that welcomes me after my drive up the A9.

The bed is large, the wi-fi reliable and the breakfast filling.

I heartily recommend the Moraybank.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Booked the room via email. Zofia, the host, replayed quickly and reserved a room for us.
We stayed for three nights in September 2013.
Very nice hosts, nice rooms, nice breakfast and great location.
Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harald H
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Husband was struggling to get a hotel in Elgin and eventually managed to get this immaculately clean bed and breakfast. So good that he went back the following week again while in business again in Elgin.

Great location in a quiet part of Elgin albeit close to the town centre i.e. 5 minutes walk. Ate in Toscana (Italian) in Elgin centre and a couple of times at the Royal Hotel also only a 5 minute walk from Moray Bank. The guest house does an excellent breakfast and there is a couple of parking spaces to the rear.

Lovely big, spacious Victorian building that is very well maintained and spotless inside and out. The owners can be very proud of this business and is a reflection of their hard work.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank SophieGlasgow
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We booked this B&B just the day before, and found the place amazing : the house and its garden are lovely, but the interior is just perfect. The furniture in the double bedroom (n°2 if I recall) and the dining room is luxurious.
The lady (I don't remember his name, it's a shame) welcomed us very warmly, and even called us just before we arrived, to be sure we found the address. We had a nice conversation during breakfast and check out.
The house is 2 min walk from the centre of Elgin.

I think she deserve a better place in the current tripadvisor ranking for Elgin.

Room Tip: n°2 is perfect, but I guess the other ones are the same level...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Me and my wife stayed here for 3 nights and can truly say we had a great stay, Zofia your host is most welcoming and the building and furnishings are first class, big rooms en-suite with tv and tea and coffee and a good choice for breakfast, full English was my daily choice with cereals and fruit juices. A great location for Elgin high street 5 mins walk with numerous bars and restaurants dotted around. We will definetly be visiting again in the near future

• Stayed: June 2013