“Wanted to like this place....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mezzo@ The Mansefield
Ranked #32 of 77 Restaurants in Elgin
Cuisines: British, Scottish, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hopeman, United Kingdom
“Wanted to like this place....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I had passed this place several times before trying it out for the first time with a couple of friends. Wasn't sure what to expect but I went there wanting to like it. In the absence of significant competition in the area, I was hoping to find that the Mezzo had established itself as a classy bistro, with good atmosphere, lively staff and some music to fit the mood, as well as good food. Maybe my expectations were a bit hyped up but I left feeling a bit flat. The interior was smart although the atmosphere was subdued. The staff were pleasant but not very knowledgeable regarding the menu. The choice on the menu was fine but we failed to appreciate the need for some simple side dishes to supplement the richness of the servings. Overall presentation of the food was very good although the salmon was a little overdone. The dessert of the day, a trio of chewy chocolate in 2 shot glasses served with a lump of scotch mist, was one to be missed and sort of summed up the evening. Really felt this place could be special and could capture a market niche in the area, but based on my first visit, its not quite there yet. Hopefully soon it will be.

• Visited April 2012

Trieste, Italy
“Top place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We had several dinners at this restaurant and were never disappointed. The staff is kind and friendly and always made an effort to accommodate us at best even when we had no reservation. It is a modern restaurant connected to the Mansefield Hotel, in the town centre.
They serve both traditional Scottish food and international dishes, both seafood and steaks. Everything delicious, abundant and well served, with a wide choice of wines and champagne. The price is above average, but it is worth it.

• Visited February 2012
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Hit or Miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Have had very good experiences at Mezzo in the past and some very average. Last time, however it was dire. Very poor people skills from mostly young inexperienced staff. A very long wait for food that was not very hot, overcooked and not well presented. The main criticism is that I ate the same dish two weeks previously and it was excellent. Topped off with a "Gink" in a shiny suit who asked if we were happy and then was totaly uninterested in any negative comments. This only added to our dissapointment. He would have been better not bothering than insulting us with hot air. These guys give the impression that the customers needs are inferior to their egos................If only it was nearly as good as the staff think they are

Elgin is not blessed with great dining experiences and Mezzo needs to raise the bar to prevent us getting on the train and heading fof Nairn or Inverness

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
aberdeen
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

The Mezzo has a 'bistro' style menu. I have never had a bad meal - food has always been good. It has a bit of a buzz about it - so good place to grab something to eat, some wine and catch up on gossip with friends or family.

Visited September 2011
lossiemouth
“Lets just say I expected better!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I meet up with my friend a couple of times a month for lunch and have been to almost every eating establishment in Elgin. We decided to go to the Mezzo today as I had never been before and was told that it was really good. I never write these things as I have never felt the need to before, however, I was really disappointed with the quality of the food and the cleanliness of the establishment.
My cutlery was covered in a previous diners melted cheese, when mentioned to the member of staff my dirty cutlery was replaced without even a hint of apology.
The food looked really good when it arrived however, it was very poor i had the mezzo burger and it was really overcooked, dried up and dull, and for £10 it was hugely disappointing.
The disappointment of the food was overshadowed by the most disgusting toilets i have ever seen, lets just say if i had gone to the toilet when i arrived i would not have ordered a meal in this place.
I expected a quality lunch served in a quality environment, unfortunately i was let down and i will never return.

• Visited January 2012