“Good value”

Ranked #4 of 9 Irvine B&B and Inns
Scotland, UK
“Good value”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Visited for an overnight stay before travelling to Arran. Room was clean, good variety of amenities with the microwave and fridge. Bathroom clean too, the town itself is a little bit bare but there's a good pub near by so for a passing visit I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Great location by the harbour with lovely views and promenade down to the beach and an ancient gastropub and modern art centre close by. The pub was pricey but the menu was interesting, the ambience lovely and the food excellent thought hey don;t have any cask ale. See other peoples reviews on The Ship.
The Marina Inn is a budget price, £35 for an ensuite room is the standard price. That includes TV, DVD player. free wifi, hot drink making facilities, a fridge and microwave. So no breakfast but the wherewithall to have what you want when you want it which is great.
There are no staff on site and the emqail I had ben sent misinfomerd me about how to get into the property meaning we lugged our luggage round the back and up some stairs only to find the number I had been given wasn;t right for that entry. However a quick call to the mobile number soon clarified that we were actually on the ground floor and the number was correct for the main entrance. Not a big problem for us as it wqas still light and we are ablebodied but it could have been more of an issue for others.
A group of young people on some kind of group holiday were very noisy till midnight and then on their departure around 7am, with a lot of coming and going and door banging. We were unlucky in that respect. I didnt think it was too bad but my partner didnt find his bed very comfotable and the fridge made a lot of noise periodically throughout the night so neither of us slept very well. Earplugs might be a good idea.
The brown towels having bleach stains was a bit disconcerting. However we weren't expecting 5 stars and the location and facilities exceeded expectations. I doubt we would stay gain tho due the bed quality.

Room Tip: Room 4 was on the front, lovely view but near the front door which made the noise prolbem worse
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed in family room on first floor which is a double room with adjoining twin room. Great value. Super view of harbour. Liked being able to come and go without passing via a reception. Good size tv in both rooms. Rooms cleaned daily.
Bad points: toilet small & inefficient plumbing, although shower worked well.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank grrendel
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stopped here on a business trip. As such, I tend to arrive, drop my stuff and head out for the evening. The room was nice and clean and it's obviously not long been converted. The disadvantage of stud walls are that they don't hold the heat too well (evident in the bathroom) and noise can be heard. With respectful guests like those sharing the place with me, this wasn't a problem. That said, the room itself was warm and cosy and I had a good night sleep. What more can you ask for for £35?
I was a bit surprised not to see a reception but a later chat highlighted that it was in a building not far away (that was more an oversight on my behalf) but they came to collect my payment so I wasn't put out.
The location is great, overlooking a peaceful harbour with plenty of nice places to walk nearby. I'd definitely recommend the nearby Ship Inn as well!

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room upstairs, if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Having won free tickets to Arran, I tried to find a cheap hotel on the island, a task that turned out to be impossible on the day of travel. I looked online for hotels in the Ardrossan area and this hotel came up as the cheapest within so many mile radius. I phoned the owner to check the room was for 2 since the £39 price tag was so low and after explaining the situation Andy said he would give me the room for £30! When we arrived it was still being cleaned but they gave us the key to come back later. We were given an en suite family room, two bedrooms, one double bed and 2 singles We had 2 TVs, fridge, microwave and lots of clean towels. We had binoculars to look out to sea too. Wouldve loved to stay longer and hire the bikes to cycle about.

I told a friend who is getting married in the area in a few months and she is going to book the hotel for her guests. Very happy customers.

Room Tip: Go en suite, not near the door. Family room was brilliant.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lauriem94
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I was working in the area and had not booked a hotel. Found this place whilst passing. Saw the price and, to be honest, didn't have high expectations! However, surprisingly very good. Well equipped rooms with great view! The Ship Inn (which was recommended) was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve J
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

6 of us stayed here in 3 rooms on 2 Oct 12 the night before flights out of Prestwick. All the rooms were immaculately presented and clean with tv's, microwaves and fridges. In a very quiet area next to an excellent pub and no parking problems. There was a mix up with one room on arrival, but a quick phone call to the owners had it sorted in a few minutes. Originally I thought the bed was a little tired and lumpy, but on reflection, I had a great nights sleep, so just not what I was used to. This is definately one I will keep on my list for this area. Superb value for money.
Tip, room 6 is unusual, quirky...an unexpected but amusing walk to the toilet!!

Room Tip: Room 6 has a talking point when you discover the bathroom. Nice but rather weird.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
#3 of 5 in Irvine
Lauriston Hotel
Lauriston Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardrossan

Been to Marina Inn? Share your experiences!