“Bad restaurant service and impersonal hotel”

Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Irvine
Galicia, Spain
“Bad restaurant service and impersonal hotel”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

CONTEXT
Stayed here for one night before starting the John O’Groats to Land’s end route by bicycle. A hotel that caters for large groups of touring tourists and those using the nearby airport in Prestwick.

PROS
Friendly staff.

Comfortable room that is very typical of large hotels.
CONS
Staff friendly, but more than one of them had the tendency to interrupt you and cut you off in mid-sentence to answer your question. Whether this is because the majority of guests are older, I do not know, but it soon became extremely annoying. They mean well, but this is rude.

The shower rail in the first room I was given had fallen down. I was given another room next door.

Decor caught somewhere between the late 1980s and 1990s.

Very impersonal bar area and lounge.

Restaurant. I ordered a club sandwich, hardly a meal which takes enormous amounts of preparation. After forty minutes I alerted the bar staff that it had not arrived. After another ten minutes, I alerted the duty manager. He returned, claiming that the bar staff had noticed the delay all by themselves (not true) and that I would get my meal soon. No compensation in terms of a discount of complementary drink was offered. I notice there are similar comments on other reports on Tripadvisor regarding this hotel, so be careful.

CONCLUSION
I stayed here because the trip I was doing involved booking on the day in the early evening. I would advise avoiding this large, impersonal hotel and finding somewhere smaller with more character and a better restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for one as close to the main area of the hotel as possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Excellent two night stay, the hole experience at this Hotel from start to finish was second to none in every sense. Excellent food, served by excellent staff, all the staff at Menzies Irvine Hotel make you feel very welcome.
The West side of Scotland is a lovely area to visit and whilst there we can recommend this Hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ajjaman
Tarporley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel last night on business and was very impressed. I stay away with work a lot across the uk and never take the time to write a review, but I wanted to today after such a great experience. All the staff were very helpful and friendly, the food was fantastic, the room was great, bed very comfortable and room clean. I will definitely stay again when I am up with work again later in the year. Also the cost was very reasonable, cheaper than the holiday inn express's I normally stay in and a much higher standard. Free wifi anywhere in the hotel was also a big bonus.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

The staff at menzies hotel are fantastic will go out there way to help you with anything you need had a great over night stay with good bar meal and breakfast. Only booked as a last minute deal but will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2013
pinehurst
Reviewed 5 July 2013

i booked two nights and dinner at Menzies for a Friday and Saturday through late rooms. When I arrived, I found out somehow I had foolishly booked for the following weekend. The lady on the desk said that they could accommodate me but that I would have to contact late rooms on my own since it was pre paid. She gave me the wifi access so I could get on my computer and hopefully make the correction. The manager then came over and told me not to worry he would contact late rooms and that I could now check in for my reservation under the same terms. That was so nice of them. The room was also very nice and the staff at dinner was excellent. There is no lift for the second level but not that big a deal. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to book 100 numbers if stairs are a problem
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Positives:
Very friendly and polite staff
Excellent food and service
Room nice and large
Good location

Negatives:
No lift to 1st floor
Incredibly noisy for both nights of our stay with drunk guests shouting to each other up and down the corridor.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank milne75
saltcoats
Reviewed 3 July 2013

we had our wedding here as it was a second marraige for both of us we wanted low key and small alison and paul the coordinators couldnt have done more all the staff were great and made our day all we could have wished for we had checked out a few places that seemed ok but the menzied made it special from the first time we spoke to them we had a lot of guests stay over and every one of them raved about the whole experience i would recommend this hotel whether you want a small wedding or large you can guarantee the service will be the best

gina and jim

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gina_talks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
The Marine Hotel
Western House Hotel
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride

Been to Hallmark Hotel Irvine? Share your experiences!