“Well worth the effort”

King James V1 Golf Course
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I played this course recently and 5minute the walk alongside the river to the course was well worth the effort. It is a unique course being totally surrounded by the River Tay and, because it is completely flat, it is easy for anyone to play.
The course was in great condition for the time of year and the greens are some of the best I have played on. The members have obviously been putting in a lot of work to install new drainage and the course was open when most in the area were closed.
It is a fair test of golf with a lot of lovely holes - the par 3s are all very good holes.
The club was very welcoming and the food was of a very good standard and reasonably priced. The previous reviewer commented on dress code - most golfers will be aware that very few clubs welcome players in jeans or football shirts.
If you are in the area I would certainly recommend a visit.

1  Thank holidaymanscotland
There are newer reviews for King James V1 Golf Course

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I've enjoyed playing this relatively straightforward course but the clubhouse leaves a lot to be desired. Last time we went there, for a coffee and a light bite, they still enforced a "no jeans" policy. Complete joke give how old and tired the clubhouse is. Nothing special and the course sadly suffers badly from winter weather (flooded a lot of the time). And a pain to get to as there is no direct vehicle access.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

Not the easiest place to get to. We found it by mistake. Although not members we were welcomed like long lost family. We had lunch in the bar which was basic but very well done.

Will definitely be back.

2  Thank Erzil
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We were enjoying a wonderful weekend in Perthshire. Having played golf over the weekend we completed the break with golf at the King James V1 golf course. The course is on an island, and the access to the course is quite challenging. We parked the car on South Inch car park next to the river in the city. We then had to walk up the steps and across the railway bridge to the island where the course is situated. This was a surprise and be prepared to carry your kit up steps and for about a quarter of a mile before reaching the club. I walked into the bar by mistake looking for the pro shop and was told I should have gone another way round - not too friendly - however, another gentleman then showed me to the pro shop, and he was very welcoming, as was Matthew in the pro shop. The course itself is compact, with pins sharing greens. It was very very wet in places - the Ryder cup will never be played on this particular course. Having said that, and I accept, I would never even come close to playing the higher echelons of the golf circuit... I am pretty rubbish but enjoy the game. I wasn't inclined to visit the 19th hole, as I was talking to a very affable chap outside, when another guy came out of the club - the captain? - who just talked over me as if I wasn't there... didn't quite get this...Having said all that, it had been a long time since I had played, and we had a wonderful afternoon... just finished off a brilliant weekend..... Don't be put off, but be aware of the pitfalls. We had a two for one voucher, I wouldn't have been chuffed to pay fifty pounds for such wet fairways...

2  Thank NickyCumbria
Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

Walk to the course is annoying but that is the only issue, practice areas are great and well kept.
Locker rooms great, bar staff very friendly and food is brill, clubhouse very unqiue.
The course itself is parkland with many bunkers, very well kept, holes are a good challenge, great hazards and great views.
Great moneys work :)