“Basic”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Lancashire
“Basic”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We stayed here in April 2011 for an overnight stop on the way back down to England from Inverness and we wanted to leave within 10 minutes of checking in, indeed I asked the receptionist if it was possible to transfer to the HIE at Stirling but unfortunately as it is a franchise it wasn't possible.

First impressions didn't help; exterior of hotel was scattered with litter. Didn't feel particularly welcomed at reception on arrival. Large stag group hanging around the entrance and foyer was intimidating. Room was dark and had a musty smell and I thought cleanliness could be improved. Our room was located on the ground floor not far from reception and eating area so sleep quality was poor as there was a lot of noise.

Breakfast was OK, there was something for everyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
chazperth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Perth, responded to this review, 29 May 2011
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Perth hotel.

I was so disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as you would have hoped. I was also very concerned that you say the exterior of the hotel was 'scattered with litter' as we have a rigorous maintenance programme in place that covers regular external checks to ensure a great first impression is achieved.

On entering the hotel, we are also very proud of offering a truly warm welcome to all our guests at Reception, but on this occasion I am sorry if you felt that you did not receive this.

With regard to your room, I have investigated all ground floor rooms to try and locate the 'musty smell' but unfortunately I am unsure as to what this could have been. I apologise for any noise inconveniences you may have suffered from fellow guests. We do try to request that all of our guests are respectful of others around them, but sometimes this can be quite a challenge as I'm sure you can understand.

As I have no previous log of your comments, I am unsure as to whether or not you spoke to a member of my management team? If you did, I hope they managed to help and alleviate the issues for you at the time.

I was pleased that you enjoyed our Buffet Breakfast selection in that there was 'something for everyone'. We like to offer a variety of items including our Continental choices along with the recently added 'Hot Items'.

I really hope this experience has not detered you from staying at the hotel in the future as it would be lovely to welcome you back and try and restore your faith in the services and products that we provide.

Karen A. Johnston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We stayed overnight on our way up to the highlands. Efficient check in by helpful and pleasant young lady at reception. Ground floor room which was clean and tidy with good toiletries and towels. Usual 5 terrestrial TV channels plus Sky and Sky sports along with 24 hrWIFI internet at no extra charge. A good nights sleep in a comfy bed.
Breakfast was plentiful but not overly exciting with the usual buffet but felt odd eating in the reception area.
The signing to actually get to the hotel car park the correct way round the one way system could be better. A parked artic lorry blocked the only sign so we had an amble around trying to find the main entrance.
Free daily paper meant that with breakfast and WIFI included it was good value and probably cheaper than the ones Lenny Henry advertises.

For the evening meal we used the pub next door which was good and only a couple of minutes to walk to.

Would use again for an overnight stay but probably not as a tourist base if I was visiting Perth.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Perth hotel.

I was so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the variety of services and products that we offer, and got a great night's sleep. Perth is a great location for a stopover en route to 'The Highlands' and I'm glad this suited your needs.

I was also delighted that you felt a true sense of 'value for money' with the complimentary buffet breakfast, FREE WiFi and FREE car parking that we provide.

Thank you also for the constructive comments regarding the hotel signage. I shall certainly review this and take any necessary steps to make this more accessible.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Scotland UK
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We booked as a stopover enroute, was pleasantly surprised with reception given on arrival, thats a measure of the general standards, agree totally with previous review about 'no hassle everything was ready and complete for check in' as a Priority Club member, although that appeared to be the general greeting for all guest which I think is good. Accommodation was well up on the general HI Express standards and is to be complimented, having stayed in numerous IC/Hi Exp & Holiday Inns (one at twice the rate the night before) and from a value aspect this Perth HiExp was better.
No problem with bed maybe personal tastes?? Facilities in room were clean and coffee/tea available. (But no biccy's - pity would have been nice). Breakfast was limited but quality continental style was very good. Would recommend the little bit extra travel heading south to this HiExp and stay as opposed to further up the Tay Basin!!!
JB- PC Platinum ICHG Ammbassador

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Perth hotel.

I was delighted to read such great comments! Offering our guests an excellent standard of care and quality of products is at the heart of what we do and I was so pleased that you were so complimentary about a variety of the services that we offer.

Thank you so much also for recommending us as a great stopover location. The 'Fair City' of Perth is renowned to be 'The Gateway to the Highlands' and we are within 90 minutes of so many excellent places to visit and things to do.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future!

Leeds, UK
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Perth, on 21/4/11.
Check in was swift and professional. We had to change rooms as the first one we were given was next to the lounge on the ground floor and would have been noisy.
We were given a room on the 2nd floor and this was ok.
The hotel is tired and needs some investment, particularly the beds. The bed in our room was very soft and had little or no support (roll together!).
The walls in the hotel were very thin so we could clearly hear the neighbour’s TV.
We didn’t get a good nights sleep and I think there would be better places to stay.
Its a drive to Perth, you could walk it but it isnt the nicest route.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
chazperth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Perth, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Perth hotel.

I was pleased to see that your check-in experience was fast and professional and that we were able to secure a room move for you as requested.

I was very dissapointed to read that you say you didn't get a good night's sleep as I appreciate this is of paramount importance when choosing a hotel and staying away from home. We shall review all beds on the 2nd floor to try and ascertain if there is a mattress that is potentially faulty, so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The location of the hotel is ideal for links to neighbouring towns and cities and yes, although it is within walking distance of the Fair City of Perth, there is also public transport just opposite the hotel had you prefered not to drive.

Thank you again for your valuable comments, and I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Hotel was nice staff were lovely but unfortunatley I was very dissapointed with breakfast it was inedible the hot choice was sausages and scrambled egg you had to serve them yourself and make your own toast! Sausages didnt taste like they were made from real meat and even the coffee was horible. We are not fussy eaters and I have never complained anywhere before but this really was poor. Premier inn manage a really nice breakfast for the same price of room.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
chazperth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Perth, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Perth hotel.

Your feedback is invaluable to us and I was very pleased to see that you found the hotel and staff to be lovely.

I was really disappointed however, that our complimentary Express Breakfast Buffet was not what you expected and that you felt the quality of certain items was poor. Further to extensive customer feedback, we enhanced the buffet selection with the addition of 2 hot items, while still retaining the self-service element and the wide continental options our customers have told us they love.

I really hope that this experience has not deterred you from staying with us, as I would like to welcome you back the the hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Stayed with husband, two kids and two dogs for an overnight while at a ceilidh. Hotel is very new and bright and fresh looking. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was fairly basic but very clean and the beds comfortable and warm. Pillows weren't that great. The bathroom was modern & clean and the shower quite powerful and hot. The hotel was perfect for our dogs - we were at the far end of the hotel and could use the stairway at the side so as not to disturb other guests.
Breakfast was in the foyer and was self-serve but there was a good choice of cereals, toast, drinks plus scrambled egg and sausage.
There's also a very nice family steak house restaurant right next door for dinner/lunch.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
chazperth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Perth, responded to this review, 4 March 2011
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Perth hotel.

I was so thrilled to see such favorable comments and I am delighted that the facilities and service at the hotel were just what you needed for you, your family and your doggies!
I am pleased that you felt our Express Buffet Breakfast offered you a great choice and I shall also pass your comments on to the 'Eating Inn' restaurant next door.

I look forward to welcoming you all (doggies included!) back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Booked online in advance and got a rate of £38,so i booked it as was putting my car in to the BMW garage across the road.Check in went as expected being a Priority Club Member everything was waiting for me and was greeted my a smiling girl(what a nice change).Room was your typical Express Inn room and everything seemed to be in order apart from a few things.
Could of been doing with a biscuit with my tea tho lol,sure they don`t cost too much to supply like most other hotels.
There was no Info at hand inn room about times of breakfast etc,but dont worry this can be found on the menu on your very small CRT tv,but you will need to go up close to read it,Small LCD tvs would be much better,(again most other hotels have them)
My loo roll holder was broken,no big deal as i don`t even have one in my house(But i dont rent out my room)
The Mattress was very soft and sagged in the middle(sure if there was 2 in the bed it would of just sagged everywhere)
There were little domes in the mattress with bits of plastic that digs into your back,i landed up sleeping on top of the duvet to give me more custion and that seemed to work.
Breakfast in the morning was as expected,Over crowded buffet breakfast,with folk looking as if they have never seen food before.

One more thing i would add is the carpark is pretty big at front and huge at rear,but although it is well lit and cctv i would never leave my car there as i prefer a Security gate entrance/exit in my hotels to keep out all the non staying guests using it(there were plenty of those as they were at resturant next door)..Talking of Resturants the Eating inn gets 10/10 from me(seperate email going direct to the manager with nothing but praise)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express Perth hotel.

It was great to see you taking advantage of our 'Advance Purchase' offer, there are some great deals available throughout the whole year. I am delighted that you were welcomed with a nice smile, it does make a big difference doesn't it. Thank you for the extremely constructive feedback with regard to your bedroom, I'm sure we will have picked on the maintenance issues already and I am also delighted to advise you that we are investing in flat screen TV's this year for all guest bedrooms.

I shall also pass your feedback on to the 'Eating Inn' next door. I am sure they will be thrilled to see you gave them a 10 out of 10!

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.