“Full of character”

The Station Hotel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Perth
“Full of character”
Reviewed 3 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night to visit family locally. I booked the hotel as it was the only hotel with a family room available and feared the worst when I read the reviews. They cannot be further from the truth. The hotel was clean and the rooms were spacious with high ceilings. Our room had recently been revamped and the beds were large and comfortable.

The staff were very friendly and we had a few drinks in the bar and played some table football with my son. The breakfast was great and again service was friendly. I will definitely go back and stay here if in the area again.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank stu10100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Whitburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Very disappointed in this hotel, not worth half the price. The pictures on website were definitely not of our room as it was in desperate need of a revamp. Hotel is very tired and in need of TLC. Gave hotel opportunity to contact re our comments on first morning of 2 night stay and didn't hear a peep. On a + the breakfast was very nice...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trace906

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Scottish Highlands
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed here on business and wish I hadn't bothered. The room was pokey and although it had some ferrerro rocher on the pillow, a bit of decoration and refurbishment would have been better! Don't even bother to eat here. I had an inlflated priced sandwich at lunchtime £4.95 for two slices of bread, meagre filling and scrap of salad with a few crisps on the side. I reckon it was made by the receptionist,come barman, come porter, as he appeared to be the only person there!

I wish I hadn't bothered with dinner. I was the only person in the dining room, so opted for the bar and was the only person there too! £14.95 for some 'haddock gratin' and that was after the receptionist come waitress come barperson told me everything they did not have available on the menu that was meagre to start with. There may have been a tiny piece of haddock (she said it was the last fish left) at the bottom of the gratin dish with some really stodgy mustard cheese sauce on the top and a warm bread roll (?) no butter on the side. There was also a small dish of veg provided but the £3 plate of fish and chips I had in the railway station buffet the next day was bigger and better! The piece de resistance was the satisfaction survey I was asked to complete and did honestly! I have to say Breakfast was better the next morning.

I had planned to use this hotel for a work conference I am organising, but not now! I asked for a meeting room/catering quote and it is yet to arrive, needless to say another Perth hotel has got the business. It is such a shame I regularly visit Perth and this hotel location would be ideal, but it needs a big shake up. It 'could' be so good.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank catlover77
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Searched for a smoking hotel and found that the station hotel was on a website that had smoking rooms. Phoned to make a booking and asked for a smoking room.... Informed that this was not a problem and o booked a room. On arrival found hotel to be very shoddy. Carpets worn dull and flacking paint etc. Got key and went to room to find a huge no smoking sign on door. Back to reception to complain to be informed whole hotel no smoking. Asked to see a manager ... Non available till morning. Very disappointed!!! An old outdated hotel, poor decor, worn carpets, plastic cups in room, no managers, no smoking rooms, no porters..... How can this hotel warrent a 4 stars.... Lucky even to have 2 stars in my opinion. Don't be fooled by their website it's not as depicted.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank David L
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

A bargain picked up on Booking.com! This Victorian Hotel has refurbished many rooms and we took advantage of a great deal of superior room with breakfast. Two couples in excellent accommodation plus breakfast of a good standard, made to order, makes for a great weekend. Staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful, directing us to free overnight parking behind the hotel. The weather was kind to us but even if it had been poor, there's a lot to see around the city of Perth. I would return to this hotel if visiting Perth again.

Room Tip: Superior rooms have loads of space and the turret rooms have a bright position.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen_Glen
Hopeman, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

After reading the reviews I was slightly worried about staying here but there was no need. The staff are so friendly and helpful.

On arrival I asked if there was any chance of the 'suprise upgrade offer' which I had seen on the website and with a click of a button we went from a small double to an executive room at no extra cost. The room and bathroom were large. The bathroom could do with updating which I later learnt all the bathrooms on the hotel are being updated anyway. There was bits of dust in some places and the bath looked like it had sand in the bottom of it. However, I was more than happy when I noticed the chocolates on the pillow and the bottles of water - a very nice touch that not many hotels do.

The breakfast the next morning was delicious. We had the full cooked breakfast and I don't understand some of the earlier reviews that said they went away hungry from it because we were so full it kept us going until dinner in the evening!! And besides that it says if you want more you just need to ask!

The only issue we had was that the shower would not heat up. We let the staff know and it was fixed later that day so I was more than happy with the service.

Overall - yes the hotel could do with being updated with a lick of paint and a new carpet but we enjoyed it's laid back atmosphere and lovely staff!

Room Tip: Book online through the hotels own website and request the surprise upgrade offer on arrival - if th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SweetzDavod
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I paid £26 for a one night stay in single classic budget room - not expecting much for that price though. The room itself, small but clearly states this on the website but it did the job for me.

Some good points; clean!!!, one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in, good quality towels, plenty of tea and coffee, biscuits and mineral water was an added bonus and a nice powerfull shower in the bathroom. The staff were friendly enough and there is plenty of free parking at the back of the hotel which is always handy.

However there was no iron, iron board or chocolates in the bedroom as stated. Not the end of the world but always handy to have! The shower, as powerfull as it is was cold though. The hotel itself it a complete old dump with a right run down reception area and corridors with dodgy decor. However you can see some improvements being done so it must of been bad when it was a Quality hotel. Breakfast is a bit steep at £7.95 for continental which I had. The basics were there which was fine and I enjoyed however nothing special.

The hotel itself has so much potential. A trip to Ikea and B&Q I think!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo