“Hogmanay in a quirky hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Station Hotel

The Station Hotel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Hogmanay in a quirky hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Trust me, If you stay here, you'll not be disappointed! The Station Hotel is like stepping in to a time warp. It has atmosphere and old fashioned values. I discovered it purely by chance - last minute decision to go away for Hogmanay. Reservation was seamlessly taken by William - reassured me that facilities were available for wheelchair users. Astonishingly good value for money (£50 a night) for 3 nights! I stayed from 30th December until 2nd January. The hotel is conveniently situated opposite the Perth Railway Station.

Checking in was efficiently carried out by Justyna. There is a lift to all floors Now to the quirkiness! You'll not get an electronic keycard. It's an old fashioned door key. Inside the room there isn't a phone. Tip - bring your own mobile and charger - you'll need it! The room itself was spacious for a wheelchair, likewise the bathroom. Some people with disabilities prefer showers (they can be catered for) others (like me) prefer baths. You'll find a deep bath with old fashioned heavy duty taps (With Hot and Cold engraved on them:-))! A shower attachment is also available. Reception do have a non slip bath mat available on request.

There's a 1960's style radio (actually DAB) in the room - very retro!! There is a state of the art TV which didn't have too many channels on it Also in your room, you'll find an Ironing board; a hairdryer; clean towels; and a kettle, with copious supplies of tea ,coffee, sugar and milk . Each guest will find a complimentary Ferrero Rocher chocolate -nice touch!

The bed was comfortable and at wheelchair height. Overall the room was clean and tidy.

The food was very tasty and prepared to order. Don't expect an instant Scottish Breakfast. They are prepared individually. There's a help yourself buffet with tea/coffee and toast and cereals etc available as well. Good value for £6.95!

Don't be surprised, if the person who serves you at breakfast is also on Reception! They multitask here! The staff are pred-ominantlty Polish and very hard working.Part of the charm of the place. The restaurant (as with the rest of the building) is very ornate! Beautiful high ceilings add to the atmosphere.

They have quite an extensive menu from light bites to main meals. There is also a well stocked bar. Plenty of whisky/beer/wine to choose from not to mention soft drinks!

What struck me was the relaxed atmosphere that exists in the hotel. Plenty of places to relax have a coffee or a glass of whisky and read the papers. Also, they have a well stocked library. They have their own chess set;Trivial Pursuits and table football game for guest use. That's quirky!

I was in Perth for Hogmanay. I have no Scottish roots other than I love Scotland. What a splendid Hogmanay "do" it was too. A relaxed occasion where the only restriction was a no jeans policy. There were plenty of kilts on show!

Guests were given the option of attending the celebrations. A menu was emailed out to everyone, for their respective choices. The meal was a 5 course dinner. A choice of starters; some soup; a meat;fish or vegetarian main; a dessert; coffee and a homemade tablet (a local delicacy made from caramel and sugar (I think?). Although It didn't affect me personally, others had an issue, regarding the steak. It's perhaps unwise to only cook it one way? Others may argue, that it shouldn't have been on the menu at all. It's debatable? I opted for the salmon which by common consent people liked . It was tender, moist and attractively served on a bed of vegetables.

For the dessert, I chose apple and cinnamon crumble. This was the quirkiest apple and cinnammon crumble, I've ever eaten (in a positive way). I'm pretty certain, It (the crumble) was made from oatmeal? The apple and cinnamon mixture was good.

The homemade tablet is an acquired taste. Sorry but I didn't acquire it =D! Far too sweet.

The entertainment was in the form of a disco (not really my thing); but hey ho, it was thrown in the package. Have to say I did recognise most of the tunes. A pleasant evening in the company of complete strangers - great fun.

The staff multitasked all night; and made sure that guests were taken care of. They even danced with some of them. I was pleased to see the manager at one point dancing with the staff. That strongly sends the message "we're a team". William and Justyna and others helped make that night -thank you!

Both I hope will go far in the hospitality industry. They deserve too.

Would I go back again? I most certainly would. Hopefully, not in the too distant future!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SBA9B6157

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Excellent nights stay and ideal for a business stop over. Great price and very conveniently located with easy to find parking. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was large and clean, bed was really comfortable. Bathroom was delightful with a large bath and shower. Food was lovely. Will definitely be staying again if I'm in the area!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PerthStationHotel, Manager at The Station Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we can look forward to seeing you back in the hotel in the very near future.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night during our Scottish trip. I would say its good in terms of location but just some odd aspects. We didn't eat there so can't comment on the food or service. We had an executive room but I'm really unsure as to what that meant. The bed was tiny but the room massive with just a couple of bits of cheap flat pack furniture.
Also we were given one towel between the two of us and one chocolate on our pillow!
Very odd.
Good value but attention to detail is lacking

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us at The Station Hotel.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be good value for money. I was slightly confused as to your comments regarding the towel in your room. Having looked at your reservation confirmation, I see that you had marked one guest and not 2 when making your reservation so our Housekeepers had prepared the room for the 1 guest.

If you had mentioned this whilst you were at the hotel we would happily have provided you with another set of towels.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

Booked this hotel at the last minute as my partner and I were attending a concert in Perth. Our double room cost £44 (with out breakfast). What value. Good sized room, comfortable bed, bigger flat screen tv than I have in my house, shower gel ect supplied, radiator stayed on all night so the room was warm even though it was baltic out-side and check out was not till 11am which makes for a relaxing start to the day. Only down side was the shower which was better than luke warm but not as hot as I would have liked.
This is the sort of hotel I like, old building, bit of character, and the staff were very helpful. Christmas decorations created a nice atmosophere. I'd go back

Room Tip: We were in room 30 on the first floor and it was very peaceful
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving a review here on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be such good value for money during your recent stay with us.

The televisions are certainly popular amongst our guests so I am pleased that you enjoyed the one in your room so much.

Here at the Station Hotel, we like all our guests to feel relaxed and welcome, this is why we offer a later check out of 11am compared to the standard 9am/10am check out other hotels give. This is so our guests have the time to relax and enjoy the morning without having to stress about having to be out the door!

I am glad you liked the hotel, it certainly is full of character, we all love it too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in the area.

Best Regards
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

stayed for just one night on a birthday shopping trip for my daughter so decided to book a suite both room were huge with flat screen tv digital radio and everything else you would expect the larger of the 2 rooms overlooked the station and had a small balconey flanked by 2 flag poles i kept thinking i should be waving to my loyal subjects below,there was no noise from station or trains and had a great nights sleep on a huge bed ,the hotel is very old so there was a few things around hotel that could do with a freshen up but this is expected in these fine old hotels,oh and one other thing after looking at the usual booking sites i found the best prices wre by booking direct

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank robmac13
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Junior Suite is extremely popular as it is so spacious and because of the balcony.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards
Letham, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

The hotel is old, but has so many period features, it's gorgeous!! Sure the deco in the lobby etc is a bit tired looking, but you don't sleep there do you? :P

Our room was big....high ceilings...a beautiful and comfortable bed....the deco in the room was fab!! Nice sized bath for me to get my portly figure into as well ;)

We were treated to a free drink in their garden bar, which has not long been done up..

A hotel that size will take a lot of money and time to do up!!

My husband and me will definately be going back when we're in Perth next :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca G
PerthStationHotel, Manager at The Station Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
Dear 'Rebecca G'

Thank you for taking the time to leave an online review. I am delighted to note that you and your husband both enjoyed your stay with us.

We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights in this lovely old hotel dating back to 1880, it retains, a classy old world feel. We had a superior room so big it equals the size of some new modern built flats. Good food, clean comfortable and the atmospher is very relaxed.would have no hesitation staying at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Margaret B
Dear 'MargaretB'

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 65 is one of our popular Superior Double Rooms and often guests make special requests to have this room again and again, I am so pleased that you enjoyed this room too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Thank you again for your comments.