“lovely stay”

Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Perth
scotland
“lovely stay”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed two nights and found this hotel very comfortable. My room faced the station but did not hear any noise even with the windows open. Reasonably large with everything I needed for a single room, bed very comfortable. Shower tiny- didn't even try it- claustrophobic, nowhere to put toiletries or make-up, or hook on bathroom door and could have done with a table and chair by the window, plenty space there for that. Receptionists very friendly, Daniel, Aga and Antoinette but must admit, on occasions there was nobody on reception at all. One difficult thing for me was that there wasn't a telephone in the room. If I wanted room service, I had to get dressed again and go to reception and ask. My mobile had not been charged, so couldn't make a phone call, and on returning home, I found that a business caller had been told I wasn't in (I was) He left a message for me which I did not receive. That could have been very important. I truly did enjoy the squishy couches and the latties, but attention to the above points should be addressed.
Lady Carole McLean-Smith.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Station Hotel is right beside the station. No surprise there then. We heard the trains at times and traffic but what do you expect! Also very handy. It's a short walk into the City, maybe 5-7 minutes; I didn't check.

There's a free car park at the rear but it's a long walk through the hotel if you have a lot of heavy luggage. Best unload at the front in the BR car park then drive round the block. It's pay and display but ignore that. The hotel have an arrangement. The reception is bright, not particularly modern but I wasn't sleeping in reception.

Our bright room (65) was accessible by lift or stairs. It had high ceilings and looked recently renovated. It was also massive with a corner turret and very comfortable. The king size bed was firm.

Breakfast was good, well cooked and tasty. There was a good supply of extras too.

Staff were friendly though one receptionist should be trained to look up and acknowledge guests booking in, even if she is on the phone taking a booking. Small point but important.

Room Tip: I'd ask for room 65 again if I returned.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The Station hotel has had a make over. I was there many years ago and it was terrible.
This time round the foyer was lovely and fresh, The person at reception was very cheerful and helpful..The room was very clean, modern, firm bed and a good size, The en suite was clean and spacious .Quiet and slept like a log.
The breakfast in the morning was great although the plates could have been wormer.

Room Tip: I think all would be good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
S-E England
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

As you exit Perth Station, you see this lovely red sandstone building sitting in beautiful grounds. And it's a few minutes' walk from the beautiful River Tay and the historic centre of Perth. Wow, we thought, what a great start to our holiday.

We went inside to register and found a small queue of fellow-guests at the reception desk - but no member of staff there. Various guests went hunting, unsuccessfully, for a receptionist and it was about 15 minutes before one appeared (this at about 1pm).

The hotel lobby was shabby and poorly decorated. However, when we got to our room (86) we found it even more shabby with cheap inadequate furnishings.

Our shower room was tiny: you have to lean over the WC to use the very small washbasin. There was nowhere to put toiletries or clothes - not even a hook on the door. The shower unit was good but there was nowhere to put the soap.

Continental breakfast was good, apart from the poor coffee. The staff were pleasant.

What a great pity that this lovely building, with splendid staircase and great location, has been allowed to decay slowly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LordClyde

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is a review solely of my attempts to get two cups of coffee in the Garden Bar of The Station Hotel, Perth, Scotland. I did not stay in the hotel nor eat there.

I was dropping a friend off at Perth station after a week's walking holiday in Aviemore. We were early and so decided to have a coffee in The Station Hotel and ended up in its Garden Bar at 11.15 am. There was man behind the bar, busy sorting out some money in a cashbox. "Give me two minutes, please" he said as we approached the bar. We sat down, feeling a trifle unwelcome. After a couple of minutes, the man finished his work and asked what we would like. "Two coffees, please." "Yes, I can get those for you," he replied and left the bar. Five minutes later, there was a rattle of crockery and he was back - with two empty cups, a jug of milk and some sugar, but no coffee. He disappeared again. After another couple of minutes, he reappeared carrying a couple of salt and pepper dispensers, which he put behind the bar. He then said something to us that I didn't quite catch; it may have been "Coffee is coming, the percolator is heating." He disappeared yet again, this time forever (from our perspective). We waited and waited. My friend's train was at 12.02 pm and at 11.40 am we decided just to leave the premises.

Make of this little story what you will.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheProfessor34
Perth
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I'm 21yrs old and have stayed in Perth my entire life but never been here before. Myself, my mother and my six month old son were going to Edinburgh for the day but missed the train, so rather than pay extortionate prices in the train station cafe for poor quality meals, we chose to go across to the hotel instead!

Upon arriving we were greeted by the most sour faced receptionist I've ever witnessed. We asked her if we could go in to the bar area to eat...to which she sort of mumbled to herself, said no and then ushered us to the couches in the foyer to eat!

She then just vanished and eventually when she returned my mum complained and we moved in to the bar area.

After some confusion that she had no lemonade (odd that reception staff were also acting as bar staff) I asked for water. Clearly there was lemonade on draft as we could see it! We both ordered 'two poached eggs on toast' for £5.99 - assuming it was going to be two eggs, one of each bit of toast...what appeared (after TWENTY minutes) was two of the smallest eggs I've ever seen on ONE slice of toast.

As I'd this hadnt annoyed us enough, the bread was soggy and the eggs tasted of vinegar from the way they had been cooked.

Most certainly need to fire the receptionist and chef and reconsider the decor!

First and last time we will ever be there.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank StacyCoopsx
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This has to be one of the worse places I have stayed in a long time. The restaurant staff was rude and weren’t very nice to deal with, we sent our food back and had to order something else which was also very bad. What restaurant kitchen can’t cook a burger and chips or egg and chips? I don’t hold much confidence in them. The burger was burnt to a crisp; the eggs were returned but with the same chips as was with the burger so they were cold. And worse of all we were the only people in the restaurant so wasn’t like they were busy with orders. The guy in the bar at the back was more interested in checking his phone then serving customers. He hasn’t got a clue what drinks are and went to serve my aunt a run when she asked for a brandy, it took another customer to point it out to him. The manager (or what we think was the manager) was rude and was always making jokes at the customers expense but to the customer themselves. The staff seemed terrified of him. The place needs a serious overhaul, a clean-up and redecoration. The corridors smelt quite bad, the carpet in all the corridors was bunched up from age and the floors were badly uneven which made it difficult to walk along. The room we were in was obviously a twin room with a third bed shoved into it. The room was too small to accommodate three adults and I think it would have been too small to accommodate two adults and a child. Also the room was freezing all the time. I will not stay here EVER again.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family