“Edinburgh tattoo stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
“Edinburgh tattoo stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I enjoyed very much the stay at the hotel and attending the tattoo at the castle. The hotel was clean, the staff very friendly and food excellent. Thanks for a great stay. Breakfast and evening meals and service were hot, quick and very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thanks for taking a few minutes to note down a few lines from your recent stay. I am so pleased you found the hotel clean, staff friendly and food excellent - that's great.
I do hope you will return soon and hopefully before the next years tattoo.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Greek first
Carnoustie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here for the Southern Fried Festival. An older hotel but with large, very clean bedroom and bathroom. Great facilities - good WIFI , ample breakfast , a bar and a really pleasant staff and manager who we found helpful and accommodating ( even at 2 in the morning !! ) . I would happily recommend this hotel as a base for Perth. We had a room on the 2nd floor above the function suite and, apart from the noise of the air-con , we didn’t hear a thing from the late night bands . If this hotel is going to continue to be a venue for Southern Fried, we will definitely be booking a room for next year.

1 Thank Gary_El
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to drop a few lines about your recent stay, I am so pleased you enjoyed your break at the Salutation Hotel during the Southern Fried Festival. I am delighted to read that you found the rooms to be very clean, staff pleasant and the manager helpful at 2am ! We really do hope to be involved next year as the whole event was such fun and enjoyment for all of Perth and the acts were superb.
Hope to see you again next year.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here 26th-28th July while attending " The Southern Fried " Americana Festival. We chose it mainly due to it's excellent location and that there were a good number of gigs on at the Hotel.
The Hotel itself , as we knew , is a very old Building and does suffer from quirks that come from age but any problems we had were soon amended by the warm and friendly staff, particularly at reception. We did write down a few names but unfortunately we have mislaid them , I do remember Shona & Cheryl (probably both misspelled) were particularly good, I apologise to those I've missed out.
I found all the staff , most of whom were young , were all well trained , smiling and friendly which is a compliment to the manager (who's name we also lost, sorry) .
I would normally consider this type of Hotel a 3 on the Tripadvisor scale but due to the people who work there it has to be a 4.
The only minus would have to be the grumpy Barman who struggles to smile and seems to think standing with his back to the clientele and shouting "NEXT" is a nice way to serve , sorry to turn negative but it had to be said.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking a few minutes of your time to note a few lines about your recent stay. I do appreciate the feedback and I am pleased you found the staff to be warm and friendly especially the reception team - yes the spellings are spot on. The Southern Fried Festival was a great weekend and we have many positive responses for this and we do hope to be involved next year. I am not sure who the bar person was that appeared to shout, I do know there were 6 members of staff behind the bar at some points to relieve the initial rush when all the ticket holders arrived. I shall look into !
Once again many thanks and I do appreciate the time you have taken to post a review and hope to see you back at the hotel next year. (thanks for the personal compliment too !)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Not a great front appearance and fairly tired inside. Staff very helpful, but unfortunately they didnt make up for the room. Was given 313 on the top floor and it took 10 mins to find, due to poor signage and a maze of corridors. Once there, it was very clean, but just poor decor and furniture. Bathroom very basic.

Breakfast was great and had a public car park within 100 yards, but am afraid l will look a little harder next time l need to stay in Perth.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thanks a lot for taking a few minutes to post a few lines about your recent stay. After spending a considerable sum of money on the interior of the building we are now looking at painting the front of the hotel - hopefully early next spring. Room 313 is on the third floor and is classed as one of our traditional rooms with traditional furniture - I am pleased you found the room clean and the breakfast great and the car parking handy. Its a shame you will be looking elsewhere next time as we have a range of newly refurbished rooms that you may like to have a look at.
Once again many thanks and we do hope you will return.
south shields
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very good room on the back of the hotel in one of the lodges with a balcony and outdoor furniture
A bit gloomy as the sun didn't shine in but very peaceful
Got a good space to park the car undercover right next to the room!
Staff brilliant and an excellent vending area next to the bar opened by the room key that gave access to glasses, ice, jugs and wine etc from the machine; have never seen the like. Most impressive
Breakfast good for my husband but my scrambled eggs were not. I don't know what they were but not good. I noticed other people leaving their eggs as well. Seemed to be a custardy mixture!
Used the buses with our bus passes. Excellent way of seeing the lake district

Room Tip: Ground floor room in Wansfell lodge good if a bit gloomy had a balcony and outdoor furniture
York, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had a great welcome from the receptionist who really helped me out when I was trying to get to the Football Stadium in Perh she kindly helped me to put my bag in the store room. When I came back to check in the reeceptionist was really helpful and welcoming and showed me to the lift. My third floor bedroom was really clean with a great en suite. When I went for tea the staff kindly helped me to find somewhere for tra I decided to eat in the bar. The menu had a very good choice which I had the fish and chips followed by the sticky toffeee pudding for pudding which were very well cooked. The staff are very friendly. My bed was very clean. Rooms are stocked up with tea and coffee making facilities which are on a tray in the cupboard under the TV. Also the en suite is very well stocked up. The next morning I had the breakfast which was very good the breakfast is self service with a full English Brakfast, Scottish Breakfast cereal and porridge. The Hotel is easy to find as it is right in the City Centre on South Street. The Salutation Hotel is well worth staying at for a holiday to Scotland. I was very impressed with the Hotel during my stay. I will defenatly be back when I have a holiday in Scotland.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have views of the Street.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you so much for such a pleasant, detailed and warming review. I am so pleased the reception team were so helpful and welcoming. I am glad you found the room and bed clean. I also note you enjoyed your bar meal of Fish and Chips and Sticky Toffee Pudding. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast, yes the hotel is ideally placed in the centre of Perth in the heart of all the festivities.
Once again I do appreciate the time you have taken to send in the review and look forward to welcoming you back ion the future.
Kind regards.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have just returned from a weekend in Perth for the REWIND Festival 2014. All hotels in Perth hike up their prices during this festival time, but the Salutation was still extremely reasonable. We booked a standard room for 3 people with 3 single beds and including breakfast.
Our en suite room was spacious, clean and pleasantly decorated. The room was extremely hot although there was no heating on. The breakfast buffet was extensive and had lots to choose from, from both the hot and cold areas. The staff are warm, friendly and cannot do enough to help!
We have already booked again for next year and will hopefully have a cooler room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not too hot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Many thanks for taking the time to send in such a pleasant review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay over Rewind and you found the staff friendly, value good and the breakfast extensive and the room clean - all very important. I am so glad you have booked for next year, once we have confirmation of dates and rates we will be back in touch with everyone.
Once again look forward to having you back at Rewind which is such a great weekend.