“Wouldn't go back”

Salutation Hotel
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Perth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. Bar food poor. Restaurant was closed on one of the nights so can't say what that was like. Breakfast how ever was good. Room just okay. No parking at this hotel. Heating was not on and when I asked for it to be put on they said yes, 2 hrs later still no heat. Went to reception to be told it was not on and they gave me an electric heater. All in all a very average hotel. I travel to Perth on a weekly basis and there are far better hotels than this one.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian J
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Oh I am sorry to read that you did not really enjoy your stay and found the bar food to be poor. We do try and offer a wide range to suit all tastes. I am pleased you like the breakfast. The nearest car park is only one minutes walk from the hotel which the majority of our customers use. We did investigate the heating issue and it appears that one of the zones in the hotel had a faulty valve, this is being fixed in time, especially with Autumn looming.
I am sorry to read that you will not be back, I do hope you change your mind and give us another chance. Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Me, my husband, my two young children and my gran stayed here for two nights when on an organized coach trip to the Edinburgh tattoo.
The hotel itself looks very tatty from the outside and decoration does need upgrading, however the staff were fantastic and the rooms very clean.
We had breakfast and an evening meal. The dining room staff and the chef couldn't have done enough for my children. It was a set meal but they gave my children extra choices and made sure they had something to eat that they liked for each course. The food was really lovely with a lovely selection for breakfast.
The beds were comfortable. One of the problems I had is that we appeared to be above the function room and both nights there was a party going on. It was very noisy but did stop at 1am, as promised by staff. On the second night I also had a large fan or something running right outside my room it was very noisy. I believe guests in other rooms in the hotel didn't hear any of these noises so I guess I was just unlucky with my room allocation. Don't think the hotel has family rooms as me, my husband and kids were split over two rooms, however these were directly opposite each other so it wasn't terrible.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room over the function room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Many thanks for posting in such a detailed and pleasant review. I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be spot on. We have just had the building surveyed with a view to painting the building early 2015. I am pleased you found the staff pleasant and the rooms very clean. I am so pleased the Chef looked after all the wee ones needs and you found the food to be lovely especially the breakfasts. We do indeed have three family rooms, which although very popular, can be booked in advance and off course a family room away from the function area.
I am so pleased you had a great time and look forward to seeing you all back again soon.
Gordon

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I had occasion to use this hotel as a guest. Found the reception staff rude and unhelpful. Bar prices for alcohol okay but at £1.90 for a can of cola etc thought that was daylight robbery. No excuse for this type of profit.

Room Tip: rooms need updated
1  Thank Dee G

Many thanks for taking the time to send in a few lines, I am most concerned that you found the reception staff rude and unhelpful - this is an area where we receive positive comments....I wish you had mentioned to me which staff were rude; why were they unhelpful; who was unhelpful on what grounds were they rude. Not much for me to investigate with such a vague review ?
Cans of Coke are less than £1.90
Once again many thanks for your review.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hotel is a must for a wonderful stay! Like the Tardis, larger than it looks from outside.
Staff, very friendly and helpful, take bags to and from your rooms. Lift and stairs. Room very clean and tidy, bathroom, wow!! Tea/coffee facilities, TV in all rooms.
Food was fantastic, plenty of it, breakfast was a full and a help yourself bar if wanted cereals etc.
Evening meals were piping hot, plenty of it again, too.
Late night back from Tattoo(1.00am), staff were helpful with all our keys and asking if teas or coffees were wanted.
Overall, a wonderful stay, would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family.x

Room Tip: We didn`t have a choice of room as such, but I`m sure that all rooms are of the same clean standard.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks do much for such a lovely review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do appreciate the time you have taken to highlight the friendly staff, clean rooms, great food and excellent breakfast, I am pleased you appreciated all the extras after the tattoo, we do our best to look after our customers with a few extras when we can.
We hope we will see you all back next year for 2015 Tattoo , perhaps even before.
Once again many thanks.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I enjoyed very much the stay at the hotel and attending the tattoo at the castle. The hotel was clean, the staff very friendly and food excellent. Thanks for a great stay. Breakfast and evening meals and service were hot, quick and very nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thanks for taking a few minutes to note down a few lines from your recent stay. I am so pleased you found the hotel clean, staff friendly and food excellent - that's great.
I do hope you will return soon and hopefully before the next years tattoo.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here for the Southern Fried Festival. An older hotel but with large, very clean bedroom and bathroom. Great facilities - good WIFI , ample breakfast , a bar and a really pleasant staff and manager who we found helpful and accommodating ( even at 2 in the morning !! ) . I would happily recommend this hotel as a base for Perth. We had a room on the 2nd floor above the function suite and, apart from the noise of the air-con , we didn’t hear a thing from the late night bands . If this hotel is going to continue to be a venue for Southern Fried, we will definitely be booking a room for next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary_El
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to drop a few lines about your recent stay, I am so pleased you enjoyed your break at the Salutation Hotel during the Southern Fried Festival. I am delighted to read that you found the rooms to be very clean, staff pleasant and the manager helpful at 2am ! We really do hope to be involved next year as the whole event was such fun and enjoyment for all of Perth and the acts were superb.
Hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here 26th-28th July while attending " The Southern Fried " Americana Festival. We chose it mainly due to it's excellent location and that there were a good number of gigs on at the Hotel.
The Hotel itself , as we knew , is a very old Building and does suffer from quirks that come from age but any problems we had were soon amended by the warm and friendly staff, particularly at reception. We did write down a few names but unfortunately we have mislaid them , I do remember Shona & Cheryl (probably both misspelled) were particularly good, I apologise to those I've missed out.
I found all the staff , most of whom were young , were all well trained , smiling and friendly which is a compliment to the manager (who's name we also lost, sorry) .
I would normally consider this type of Hotel a 3 on the Tripadvisor scale but due to the people who work there it has to be a 4.
The only minus would have to be the grumpy Barman who struggles to smile and seems to think standing with his back to the clientele and shouting "NEXT" is a nice way to serve , sorry to turn negative but it had to be said.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking a few minutes of your time to note a few lines about your recent stay. I do appreciate the feedback and I am pleased you found the staff to be warm and friendly especially the reception team - yes the spellings are spot on. The Southern Fried Festival was a great weekend and we have many positive responses for this and we do hope to be involved next year. I am not sure who the bar person was that appeared to shout, I do know there were 6 members of staff behind the bar at some points to relieve the initial rush when all the ticket holders arrived. I shall look into !
Once again many thanks and I do appreciate the time you have taken to post a review and hope to see you back at the hotel next year. (thanks for the personal compliment too !)