“Decidely average”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Ulverston, United Kingdom
“Decidely average”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The good bits were the friendly check in, breakfast choice, free wifi and it's central location. Neutral points were the old fashioned room (although I understand a refurbishment program is underway) and the premium priced bar, however the bad points for me were the dirty shower in the disabled wet room and the check out process which took an amazing 10 plus minutes to print an invoice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark C
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us and yes, we have commenced a general upgrading program around the whole hotel. I hope you will return to see all of the improvements that we are making.

I'm sorry that you were affected on check-out with a printer issue we had. We do like to offer the very best in customer service and would not like to have kept you waiting. I have also passed your comments regarding the shower to Housekeeping.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Karen A. Johnston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I arrived in Perth atfer a very long day, keen to get a good nights sleep. I have stayed in the Mercure before and know it is in need of an update, but was shocked by the state of my room. On walking in i was presented with a small black object on the floor (on closer inspection i think it was a current, but my first impression was maybe mouse droppings). Looking closer there was a large stain by the radiator, a size indicator from a hanger. Generally this gave the impression that the room had not been vaccumed after the last guest. When i went into the bathroom i found large cracks in the wall, and the bath had brown marks all over it (which came off so were not staining). Being too tired to compain, i got into bed only to find that the room next door was a conference room and there was a meeting going on, accompanied by sporadic applause and cheering. Perth is in need of a good clean hotel in the centre, but my advice and experiance is that this is not it. Avoid

Room Tip: Pick another Hotel
2 Thank Andrew E
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I have passed all of your feedback on to our Head Housekeeper to ensure that we are offering the very best in cleanliness and maintenance standards at all times.

We have commenced a general upgrading and painting and decorating program around the hotel and I would really like for you to return, where we would have the opportunity to restore your faith in the services and facilities we offer. Please contact me directly at the hotel, should you wish to discuss this further.

Karen A. Johnston

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Anstruther, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Now incorporated into the Accor group, we had expected to see some changes in this hotel but they were difficult to spot. It is looking rather tired and in need of refurbishment. The hotel is built on the site of an old mill and cleverly incorporates the rather attractive old buildings. The bar area, with the old mill race cleverly viewable, is welcoming enough but the other public rooms and the bedrooms certainly could do with refreshment. Perth is not blessed with good average hotels in spite of its being a county town with a rich hinterland. The Mercure, with its very central location and relatively easy parking, could be well placed to assume that role. The bedroom was comfortable enough with the usual tea - making facilities and shower room. Unfortunately, our room was at the end of the corridor directly underneath an ongoing and noisy wedding reception. Breakfast is served in a gloomy upper room with very little natural light and rather outdated electrical lighting. The staff are all very pleasant and welcoming. With just a little cosmetic effort and attention to detail, this could be a much better place.

Room Tip: avoid any room near to entertainment areas
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I am delighted to let you know that we have commenced a general upgrading and painting and decorating program throughout the whole hotel. I really hope you will have the opportunity to return to visit us, and to see the great improvements we are making to the cosmetic presentation and feel of the hotel. We really are in a great location and have a real opportunity to be Perth's premium city centre hotel.

Thank you again for all your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow Scotland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

my wife and i have stayed at the Mercure formely Ramada jarvis for many years and its had its fair share of ups and downs mainly downs....However we had a 2 night stay on the 12th Oct and what an improvement. Front of house are very friendly and helpful and nice to see Pamela still there but its the bar area that shines especially with Simone who provides excellent service above and beyond so well done to all the lovely staff.
Rooms are still a bit under par with regards to cleanliness and a bit dated but overall a really
good stay.

1 Thank brendan50
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was delighted that you can see some positive improvements from your previous visit.

I have shared your feedback with the team who were delighted you found them to be so friendly and welcoming. I have also made special note of this to Pam & Simon who obviously stood out for you.

I really hope to welcome you back to the hotel again, when you will see the improvements we are continuing to make in general upgrading and painting/decorating throughout the whole hotel.

yorkshire
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Since our last visit, there is now free wifi throughout - well done Mercure! Otherwise, little seems to have changed in the last 12 months. Still pretty good value, and staff as friendly as ever.
If you want to park immediately outside, arrive by mid afternoon or it will be full - though the adjacent car park isn't far away.
Room was clean and tidy, only let down by the windows which now clearly need upgrading. With no aircon, the window is held open by a helpfully provided small wooden block (!). Our room was on the first floor overlooking the car park, which is a problem a) for street noise, and b) cigarette smoke wafting up from groups of European tourists gathered below. It was also next to the floor's office/maintenance room, which was busy from about 6am with much banging of doors. Didn't use the restaurant this time, so can't comment. Bar prices are what you expect in a hotel!

Room Tip: Try to get one that doesn't overlook the front car park.
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was pleased to see that you liked the addition of our FREE Wifi offering now available throughout the hotel. It certainly is a great benefit!

I would also like to let you know that we have commenced a general upgrading and painting/decorating program throughout the hotel and I hope to welcome you back again in the future, so that you can continue to see the improvements that we are making.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

A one night stay was booked online via a booking partner 12 WEEKS in advance. Acknowledged, paid for, voucher issued. Yet in a magic trick Paul Daniels would have been proud of, the one night booking (mid way through a busy 4 day conference) mysteriously vanished when I arrived at check in. "Oh, there's a problem with the computer, I'll need to get the manager..." ten minutes later Duty Manager says " the system" released rooms that should have been blocked out and, guess what? My previous booking didn't get priority and off I was sent to another hotel in another TOWN nearly 20 miles away.

No phone call, no email in those 12 weeks, even via the booking agent. Not good.

Sadly for Mercure, a few other guests were also bumped including a senior Member of the Scottish Parliament so I suspect this 'glitch' will hurt future conference bookings.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

We did have a major computer issue on the day prior to the start of the conference you refer to. This left us with a very difficult decision to make and I am sorry that you were one of our very valued guests affected by this. If you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel so that I can assist you properly.

Scotland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed for a weekend, first visit, easy to find, great (free) parking adjacent to hotel. No problem checking in. The hotel is a little dated in areas but for £62 per night B & B it's a great deal. Decent sized room, pretty warm but that was due to the unseasonal weather. The only criticism I had about the room was the creaky bed. Breakfast was very good, plentiful, hot and very impressed with the extended service times at the weekend. The breakfast waiter (Ben?) deserves a mention and is a credit to the hotel. Really liked the central location but still out of the way a bit so there was no night time noise. Didn't drink in the bar as prices were high, especially when there are plenty of cheaper bars close by. Will definitely return to the Mercure when next in Perth.

Room Tip: Room at the back may be quieter as it doesn't overlook hotel entrance and car park.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was so delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us and I have shared your feedback with the team at our recent staff meeting. You may also be pleased to hear that Ben, the waiter you mentioned, just won our 'Employee of the Month' award for September! I agree, he really is a credit to the hotel.

Thank you again for all your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.