“Good location, but needs some investment”

Mercure Perth Hotel
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 27 August 2014

To be fair if there was a 'Good' option on Trip Advisor I would have gone for that. While we had a comfortable stay I'm not sure it merits 'Very Good'.

Although I have noted restrictions around the listed building it is a bit of a pain taking your luggage up two flights of stairs in the absence of a lift, so if you are staying here you might want to pack light.

Bedroom was fine although I have to say the bathroom wasn't the best, I can't think I have stayed in another Mercure where there is a shower curtain over the bath, you'd normally expect a screen of some kind. I wonder if there has been any investment in bathrooms since the days of the Ramada. If I didn't know I had checked into a Mercure the bathroom would have made me think I was in a Travelodge.

I had booked the stay via the Accor site so I was slightly surprised to have to ask for my welcome drink voucher and even more surprised when the member of bar staff who served me had to phone reception to query what it was. Maybe they aren't issued very often.

Breakfast was fine and despite having a hot buffet bar the food was good and quite a rarity Bacon which was properly cooked. Restaurant is very dark, fine for a romantic meal, not so good if you want to read your newspaper at Breakfast.

Final point is that it might be nice if the receptionist asked you if you are parked across the road when you check out. I had to return to reception to get the code for the car park barrier.

Would I stay again - probably yes - but more so as I am an Accor Card member - although there is a new kid on the block now - a brand new Premier Inn.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was pleased in the main that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the very constructive comments. The lighting in the restaurant was due to be enhanced over the next couple of weeks anyway, so this will address the concerns you had with that and Reception have been reminded to check with all departing guests if they need the code for the car park.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was disgusted.
My colleague and I booked a twin room. We were given a room for people with disabilities. The bathroom was a dirty shower room. I pulled the light switch, but it came of in my hand. In the dark, I later found this was the disabled alarm, which had clearly failed to function. Fortunately I was not in distress. I the got in the shower, but the shower head had been pulled off the wall by the previous occupant. I went to reception and asked to me moved. They told me to sit and wait whilst they did nothing. After 15 minutes I asked if there was another room, but there was not. The handyman came and fixed the shower head, but left all the building wastes in the shower room. The extractor fan was not working when we had showers, and so we enquired about this and were told it came on and off on a timer. Unfortunately this was not when we used the shower and so the shower room was like a tropical reptile house.
Sadly things did not improve, and ultimately when it came to check-out £21 was added to out bill for an unsigned bar chit that was simply placed on our bill with no explaination.

Please do not stay here

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank no_thanks1234

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I wondered if you would mind contacting me directly so that I may discuss your comments more fully with you? In the meantime, I shall certainly address the issues where required, and thank you for highlighting them to me.

I hope to hear from you soon and ultimately welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

A really nice hotel with lovely helpful staff. The lounge and bar areas are very nice. The room are clean and spacious. The only thing that let the hotel down is that the windows need a good paint and the grout/seals in the bathroom was dirty and this is a real shame.

Room Tip: The room I had backed right onto a load of flats
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be polite and friendly.
We are in the process of redecorating across the whole hotel and the window frames are certainly one of the areas we are addressing. I shall also highlight the grouting issue to housekeeping and maintenance, so thank you for highlighting this concern.

I shall pass on all of your comments to the team and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 21 August 2014

After 2 enjoyable stays in the Nottingham Mercure we were very disappointed with this hotel.We could find no mention of the absence of a lift on the website - my husband is 83 and this was significant. Our bedroom was as we expected but the dining room was gloomy and over hot. There was little food left after a large bus party had eaten and the staff did not appear eager to replenish it. The morning rolls did not taste as if they had been made that day. We will certainly not return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mercure P, General Manager at Mercure Perth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I am so disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I will certainly take your comments on board so that we may improve where required. Unfortunately we are unable to install a lift as we are a listed building and cannot secure the permission required to do this.

I hope you will reconsider and come and visit us again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel was an old mill from the 1500's and you can see water running underneath in the lobby.
We were upgraded to a superior room so I can't comment on the standard rooms
Our room was very comfortable with a comfortable king bed .
We had a nice coffee machine and the bathroom was fine
The room which actually was 2 rooms gave us a lot of room to move around
The staff were very nice and friendly and answered questions about directions,etc without
Seeming bored
Another assets of the hotel is its location which is fabulous
It's within walking distance of many restaurants ,the major shopping street and museums.
There is a movie theatre right down the street
I saw a man painting one of the rooms so hopefully a renovation project is underway
The bar area is very inviting
We did not eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food
As travel agents we would certainly recommend this hotel for its superior room

Room Tip: Try to get a superior room

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Perth hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It really is a lovely, very unusual building and I agree we are in a great location for wandering the streets of Perth or for taking in a nearby attraction or place of interest.

I was also pleased that you found the staff to be so helpful and friendly & that your room proved to be very comfortable for you. Yes, we are in the process of redecorating the whole hotel as we are very keen to present the hotel in the best possible way to all our guests.

I hope you will be able to come and visit us again one day.