“Debatable???”

Best Western Queens Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the professionalism of the staff. Friendly and efficient throughout our stay. The negatives:
The walls are paper thin. We stayed 2 nights. Our first night we couldn't get to sleep for the noise from a group of golfers next room. When we did manage to sleep we were woken in the middle of the night by the phone ringing in the golfers room. We were then woken by their 6.00am alarm and their loud chatter and laughter for two hours. We approached reception to be given another room. The receptionist didn't need to be asked. She offered a room in the 5th floor (we were in 2nd) and this room was twice the size of the other and with loads of natural light. It must be stressed we cannot blame the hotel for the noise as such, just wish the rooms were better soundproofed!! I have given this hotel a 3 for sleep quality. This is due to the noise from adjacent room, otherwise I'd say 5. Beds were comfy enough.
Breakfast was probably the least impressive I've ever experienced in a hotel or b&b. the first morning it seemed reasonable until I noticed the fried egg wasn't properly cooked. The next morning I chose the same breakfast but with poached egg. This time there was very little on my plate. I'm a big fat Scotsman who enjoys a Scottish breakfast when on a break and normally breakfast fills me for most of the day. Not this one. It cam on a normal dinner plate when in reality, it could have come on a side plate.
The place needs modernised and cleaned better. There were hairs and two fingernails in the bath. The decor was old and some corners hadn't seen a cloth in years.
The leisure centre overall was good but the gents changing room left a lot to be desired. Due to the smell, I have never changed so fast in my life! The steam room was closed but the jacuzzi, sauna and the pool were enjoyable.
The hotel is just a 5-10 minute walk from the town centre and next to a bus station and train station, so no complaints about location. 32" TV in all rooms and plenty channels to watch.

Room Tip: We were unlucky to be placed on the 2nd floor with noisy people next door. The view was of the flat...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart K
MikeSheff, Owner at Best Western Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Stuart K,

Thank you for your recent review of the Best Western Queens Hotel. Unfortunately your fellow guests staying in the hotel seem to be a little noisier than I would have hoped. The hotel is manned 24 hours a day and even during the night our night porters are well trained to deal with noisy guests in their bedrooms.

I am really happy that apart from this you scored the hotel 5 out of 5. Please please please ask for a larger breakfast next time you return to stay with us and we will be happy to oblige.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I travel a lot with work, and in my free time too. So I'm rating this 4 stars. Not that it's a 4 star hotel, but it's a good 3. I start at a 5 and then knock points off for anything that I would class as a differentiator. The only thing that knocked this hotel down was the very squeaky floorboards. So my advice is to ask for a room on the top floor. This will also help with any external noise from the busy road outside and any drunk people passing by at the early hours of the morning (but I didn't knock a point off for that). So rooms are nice, avocado bathroom suite is a throw back but it was clean and functional, nice LCD tv in the room, iron and ironing board, tea facilities, good breakfast with good choice, staff were excellent throughout our stay, 100 yards to train station and 5 minute walk into Perth centre. Just sort the floorboards out and we will be back next year for another Rewind festival weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room to help eradicate noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
MikeSheff, Owner at Best Western Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Nepxh04,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while attending the Rewind Festival.

The queens hotel is an old building which explains the creaky floorboards. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast - we always offer a large selection and we cook the hot food to order.

We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

It was a week end away with my partner for his birthday . It was enjoyabl but I did feel cheated a bit with not getting in our room till after 4 . Considering check out time is before 11 . We did get locked out on sat night at 11.40 pm not very impressed we had to wait 20 minutes for a guest to find a member of staff to let us in . Apart from that a nice stay .

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Lorrainem,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor. We appreciate comment from al our guests regarding their stay with us.

Check in time is from 4pm so that the housekeeping staff have time between check out and check in to service all the rooms to meet our high standards. However if you request an early arrival we will have the room ready for your arrival.

With regards to the other comment you made - our reception desk is manned until from 7am until 11pm daily and out with these hours the door is locked and you can ring the bell and the night porter will open the door for you - I apologise for any inconvenience that this caused you.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with a large group. We were checked in very quickly considering the size of the group.
The room was not huge but clean and comfy. The bathroom was OK, it's a long time since I have seen an avocado coloured bathroom suite!
As we were a group we had a choice of 3 starters, main and sweet and all were good. Breakfast was fine with a good choice. Hot food did seem to take rather a long time to arrive.
Reception, dining room and bar staff were all very pleasant and helpful.
I did not use the swimming pool but others did and said it was nice.
The hotel is in a very convenient position for the town centre.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Ruthywiseman,

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that your group were checked in quickly and you enjoyed your stay.

We cook all our hot breakfasts to order to ensure the freshest breakfast so that will explain the delay in receiving your cooked breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you and your group- back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

The rooms are old and tired. They need to be modernised. Breakfast was also poor. Good location through and has leisure facilities if you wish to use them. Would stop again but only if there were no other hotels available .

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Stuartco,

Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor. In the last 12 months we have invested in all brand new televisions, completed the decorating of the remaining bedrooms and renewed all the mattresses. Our plan is to continue with upgrading to offer as good a product as possible.

I note your comment about breakfast - all our breakfasts are cooked to ensure the freshest bacon and eggs. We also have on offer a comprehensive selection of continental breakfast style options.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed recently here. Poor value for what I paid.
Room ok, and clean. Bathroom tired.Could do with redecorating.
2 teabags??? Drink more than that before my dinner!
Meal was ok, nothing outstanding, and not worthy of prices.
Breakfast ok, still waiting for toast I asked for though.
Reception staff attentive and pleasant
Bar staff same
Breakfast staff.....could do better.
Would look elsewhere in area next time....better hotels,better value,in nicer settings.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear collegebankie,

Thank you for your recent review about the Best Western Queens Hotel Perth.

It is never pleasing to hear that one of our guests didn't enjoy their stay. I am glad to hear that the reception and bar staff were pleasant and attentive and I will pass your comments onto the manager regarding the food and the breakfast staff.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We spent 1 night here and were very pleased with the hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, we arrived early (12noon) and were delighted to be told our room was ready so we could check in. Would stay here again and recommend - the hotel does look a wee bit tired and the floors do creak a bit but it's great value, very close to train station and city centre.

• Stayed: June 2012
MikeSheff, Owner at Best Western Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear AWScotland,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Best Western Queens Hotel.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the location good.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.