“Good central location and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New County Hotel

New County Hotel
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Larbert, United Kingdom
“Good central location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel has a fine central location, but very limited parking.

Breakfasts are very good, and fine dining is available for evening meals in the Opus One Restaurant, but that was not to my tastes. Thus we ate in the Bistro area, which was very good also.

The downside of this hotel is the building itself, which limits the possibilities for sizeable rooms and easy movement within the structure. However, the central location makes up for this.

One final point: this is, I believe, a family run hotel, and all of the staff encountered were very efficient, professional and friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Operations M, Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
May we take this opportunity to thank you for your recent review. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us , especially glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and the food in Gavin’s Bistro so much. We look forward to accommodating you the next time you visit decide to pay Perth a Visit.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Four of us , two couples stayed on a Groupon two night deal @ £149
Breakfast both mornings and a meal in the Opus Restuarant .

Have to say :- building has steep staircase , our rooms were a little tired.
The real difference is :-
1. Staff all were great , worked hard to please a real credit and pleasure to meet and they have good sense
of humour.

2. Food, food !!!!
Opus excellent 100 %
In fact all the food was very good with excellent service .

If you can put the standard of room
to one side , everything else is very good , enjoyable and was a good deal .
We had a good weekend !!!!
Well done and thanks to Simon and all !!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank You very much for positive review of the hotel. I am thrilled to learn that our team has taken very good care of you as they do take great pride in the food produced and providing the best guest orientated service to make all our guests feel very special. I look forward to welcoming to back to the hotel in the near future.

Kilmarnock, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as part of a Groupon deal. I have to say that the deal was very good value for money, including 2 nights stay with breakfast, dinner on the first night and a bottle of wine in the room. The reception area looks very smart upon arriving at the hotel and the hotel is situated on a main road, just a short walk into the shopping area and with great access to major roads to get out and explore Perth. Our room was on the top floor and it was a bit of a climb up to it but not a problem for us. Our room was on the small side but perfectly adequate and was spotlessy clean. The breakfast was good. I didn't think much of the cold buffet which was not kept refrigerated and put me off, but the hot food cooked to order was very tasty. I was a bit disappointed in Opus One, the 2 AA rosette dining room and felt that it lacked atmosphere. The food wasn't up to the standard that I expected either, given it's rating by the AA, but all that said our meal was perfectly pleasant. The staff on the whole were friendly with the Manager (Simon) taking time to chat to the customers, which was a nice touch. We throroughly enjoyed our stay and thought we had received excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Operations M, Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you very much for your recent comments, including your approval of your room and value of your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast and found all staff so welcoming. I hope to accommodate you once more when you next decide to pay Perth a visit.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Arrived for an overnight stay and was made to feel very welcome with staff at reception.

Room 106 was spotlessly clean, and was of a good size.

We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel and could thoroughly recommend the food in the bistro. Service was first class and served quickly.

Definitely a good place to stay when visiting Perth as it is very central for the bus and train station, and for the shops.

Room Tip: we loved room 106 as it was big and located in a quiet part of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for posting such a positive review. We always try to provide a high standard of customer service across the whole hotel for all our guests to ensure that they enjoy their stay with us. I will pass your kind comments onto my team. I hope you will visit us again in the near future

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night on a voucher deal. £89 dinner, bed and breakfast + bottle of wine in the room. Cant really argue about the price. Staff were all friendly. We arrived early and got a space in the small car park, left the keys with reception so they can move cars in and out to maximise the small space they have, very good idea. Bottle of wine in the room was red instead of the white we asked for, mentioned it at reception on the way out for the day and asked for it to be changed but when we came back a few hours later the same bottle of red was there so just took it home. Had dinner in the bistro , very good quality (although £2.75 for a bowl of processed chips is a bit steep). Breakfast in the other restaurant was excellent. The room we had was quite dated and not that big, the bed was quite uncomfortable and squeaky. The room was very clean though and had all essential amenities . Overall good value for the price paid.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AGM7819
On Behalf of the team at the New County Hotel. I thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel in a positive light. I am glad to hear you found the Breakfast was so good along with your room being so clean as they all pass AA and Visit Scotland criteria for a 3 star hotel for both design and size. I will pass your comments onto the relevant departments . I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Food excellent both in the restaurant and bistro where portions are very large. Service at breakfast very poor, You need to get there early if you want continental breakfast as once it's gone it's not replenished. Parts of the hotel would benefit from being updated. No lift and stairs very narrow.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel can be noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I thank you for posting a positive review on your recent stay with us. I always use any reviews received as a tool to keep on improving and driving up standards. I am very happy you found the food in Opus one and Gavin’s Bistro so good. i look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Perth.

Cumbria UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed on a Tuesday and Wednesday nights on two consecutive weeks. First stay, 'the car park' as they call it will take no more than five very small cars, they do offer to take keys and double park, but they will have a disclaimer for any damage, so I parked across in the pay and display car park. Rooms are dated, old fashioned, but are reasonably clean (a part from the tea and coffee splashes on the radiator next to sink in the bathroom in room 207, telling me that they wash the used cups and saucers in the bsthromm!!!!!!!!) On the first morning, I was shown to a table that had been used, the man seating me, just brushed the crumbs left by the previous incumbent, I asked to be seated on a clean table. Second stay I had to go looking for someone to check me in. I paid £75 for the first nights stay and £69 for the second b &b through Late Rooms. Massively over priced. Not surprised most of the guests stay on vouchers. Food in resturant very average and over priced. Could type more, but not really prepared to invest more time. I will not be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Cuthberrys
Operations M, Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I always look forward to comments from our guests both positive and negative as they help to improve our service, identify areas where we are strong and the ones we have to work on. The car park is limited and accommodates up to 11 cars, but to do this we would request that you leave your car keys and double park in our car park. This way your car can be moved to allow others in and out as required. This works very well and is always explained by our reception staff upon check-in.Additional free overnight parking is free and just across the street .I am very sorry regarding your table at breakfast rest assured I take this matter very seriously and the people involved have been spoken to make sure this situation never arises again.
It is obviously difficult to comment on the food issues days after you have been with us, may I suggest you raise these points straight away next time. This way I have a chance to rectify and ensure you recieve the dining experience you were looking forward to and I can raise your points with our Head chef.I would urge anyone staying with us to bring any matters of concern to the Management Team during their stay as this can only improve your stay .It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay with us