“Excellent staff and food, let down a little by bedrooms”
Review of New County Hotel

New County Hotel
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went with friends using a Groupon deal. Staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful. Food was lovely too. The bedroom was small and in need of modernising. But for the money, we had an excellent deal. We would go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank morrices
Operations M, Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a complimentary review, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much, I will pass on your positive thoughts to the staff who will be thrilled to hear you had such a nice time.. I really appreciate your remarks, and hope it is not too long before your next visit.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hotel is an old building which we were aware of and didn't expect too much but what let it down was the quality of service or should I say lack if quality!! On arrival our room smelt like a hamsters cage! The room looked clean though.
Our first breakfast was a bit of a disaster waited over 35 mins for a traditional full Scottish the poached egg was like a squash ball everything was cold even the coffee!
The sat afternoon we decided to use the hotel cafe which advertised toasties baked potatoes etc from 12 until 5 only to be told that "we've closed the kitchen" no reason why & they still had the menus on tables advertising this service!! The opus restaurant remained closed through out our stay so we never got the chance to experience that!
Sat evening just got worse we decided to have a few cocktails from the cocktail list we managed to get 2 one margarita & tequila sunrise the sunrise had to be returned as it was like an orange juice we were then told that the cocktail shaker "wasn't working" we just couldn't stop laughing at that excuse!!!!! It proved to us that no one had any experience in bar duties or organisation skills! Sun morning we managed to get an edible breakfast but only to witness other guests complain that no pastries or orange juice available at the continental table selection oops I say selection but it was never replenished very very poor service!! Could gave been a much better stay for us if the staff could have made much more an effort rather than their couldn't be bothered attitude if they don't like the job they are in give it to someone who will deliver! If that standard of service continues the place will close very very disappointed!!

Room Tip: Very noisy at front rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen S

I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction experienced at the New County Hotel.This is not a reflection of our usual standard of service and care.As many people would testify as well as many numerous good reviews of the hotel.Unfortunately we did have some very challenging times in the kitchen over a three/four day period whilst you were staying with us to which in the end resulted in myself having to step into the kitchen, having operated in Kitchens before working my way up the ranks.The problem was resolved after a few days.This took me away from my usual position as the manager on the floor and therefore would have been much better equipped and organised..I have spoken to the people involved and rest assured extra training will be put in place,I once again sincerely apologise and rest assured if you were to return to the The New County you would have a much much enjoyable stay.Hope to see you back at the New County hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Purchased a Groupon deal @ £89 for dinner, bed & breakfast. Also booked out second night b&b £89.
So disappointed, the entrance is lovely, room was small, basic, bed uncomfortable, sheets stained, surprise in toilet!!!

Arrived down to Bistro for dinner, waited 30 mins for starter which was lovely. Well over an hr for mains, my husband ordered cheese burger and wedges, burger was completely lost in this huge dry ciabatta roll, burger really overcooked. He then waited another half hr for wedges to arrive.
I ordered beef casserole with puff pastry, a tiny scotch pie type thing arrived. I pointed out description on menu....asked if wanted him to take it back, well yes if have what's on menu told prob not n that's prob why you got this....ordered chips, no chips. Every table was same!
Offered free meal following evening, didn't take them up on this.
Breakfast was also really slow, hard poached egg arrived.
When advised manager we would not be staying another night he was really good in refunding money for 2nd night. Nothing for previous night that was a disaster though....
A lot of customer service training needed for all staff.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Taylor-0301

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment experienced at the New County Hotel.This is not a reflection of our usual standard of service and care.As many people would testify as well as many numerous good reviews of the hotel.Unfortunately we had some very challenging times in the kitchen over a three/four day period whilst you were staying with us to which in the end resulted in myself having to step into the kitchen, having operated in Kitchens before working my way up the ranks.I once again sincerely apologise and rest assured if you were to return to the The New County you would have a much better experience.Hope to see you back in Perth at our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The website shows pictures of clean and tidy areas and to be fair the communal areas are. However, once you go through the door marked bedrooms, it is a whole different experience, the stair walls and banisters are dirty and desperately in need of a lick of paint and the same carries through into the bedrooms. The one I stayed in was very tired, dirty and generally dilapidated the “en suite” could be likened to a broom cupboard with a shower that basically dribbled tepid water. For the price paid £75.00 B & B for a single room I felt robbed, I have stayed many times in Perth for work and this is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in.
Furthermore, I cannot believe all the comments about how “helpful and pleasant the staff are” personally I found them rude and generally unhelpful, so much so the lady who served me in the bar had her back to me when I approached to get a drink, with the use of the mirror behind the bar she didn’t even bother to turn and face me, simply asked what I wanted and told me how much it would be, then keyed it into the till before she finally had to turn and poor my drink, I think if I’d been having a drink from the fridge at the back of the bar she would have poured it too without even turning to face me. This annoyed me and so stuck in my mind as I sat to have dinner the next few customers were greeted and served in the same way.
The food was nice but very expensive for what you got, it took over an hour for my main course to arrive (I only had a main as I was never asked if I wanted a pudding) the table remained un cleared for a further hour and a half after I’d finished eating which is when I left.
If you have children DO NOT go into the bar area... 2 customers (I’m assuming local / regulars) where in the bar drinking for the duration I was in the bar and every third word from both of them was an “F” word and they were both very loud, you can’t choose the customers that enter your premises but you can ask them to turn down the language or leave! Why didn’t I leave the bar you may ask? Well, for the first hour after ordering I was waiting on my food and after that I really didn’t want to sit in my dreadful room! All in all, a dreadful experience I will not repeat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank choppaTraveller
Operations M, Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

I am very sorry for the unacceptable stay you felt you encountered with us. On the basis of the room all are rooms they been recently independently checked by the visit Scotland and been confirmed to be of a very clean high standard 3 star establishment. I would have appreciated that you had approached the Duty Manager during your stay to raise any of your concerns. These sometimes can be dealt with very efficiently at the time and almost always impossible after your stay is over. but please rest assured I take all comments very seriously and as a result Such behavior by staff that you mentioned you experienced in the bar area is unacceptable and as a result of our recent training program, will not happen again. In this instance it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your visit. But I do hope you will maybe consider us in the future

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is a bit dated as is the rooms but I have been in far worse hotels.

Only complaint I would have was the fact we were in a twin room but we were given the choice and we chose the twin room as it was far more spacious than the double. So I can't really complain as we were given the choice which was good service on the hotels part.

Breakfast was lovely and we were given the option to have it in our room which makes a change to the usual hotels we have been in.

The restaurant in the hotel didn't have a good atmosphere was pretty quiet and the specials we ordered were pretty ordinary I would have rather stuck to something else in the menu.

The rooms were dated but clean and comfy enough bed and pretty quiet at night.

I would not be in a rush to come back but good for a cheaper place to stay if you were going to be spending more time out in Perth as the location is brilliant right next to the high street and main bars and pubs.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a complimentary review, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed breakfast so much will pass on your positive thoughts to the staff. I really appreciate your remarks, and hope it is not too long before your next visit.

simon
operations Manager

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Have just returned from a one night Itison break at the New Station Hotel, the deal was supposed to be dinner in the Opus restaurant and bed and breakfast, on arrival at check in we were informed that we had been moved to the "Bistro" for evening meal, when questioning the reason for this change were informed the hotel restaurant was busy with pre booked tables, we informed the receptionist that we had made this dinner reservation 6 weeks prior to arrival and were expecting to be dining in the main dining room,she thereafter informed us that we could have a table later than the time we had booked but may have to wait for some time to be served.Not wishing to create a drama we accepted the change and took delivery of our room key. On reaching our room we were met by the maid who was in fact still cleaning the room (this was at 4pm ) we therefore waited outside for several minutes until she finished. The room allocated (201) was very small and gave the impression of being a single room with a double bed put inside, the decor and general appearance was extremely average with no view other than an adjoining flat roof. We duly presented ourselves for dinner at 7.30 pm and ordered a starter and main from the Bistro Menu. As stated by other reviewers we then waited for 45 minutes for the starters to be served which when they arrived were very nice, however after waiting a further 55 minutes the main courses duly arrived,and rather than the fine dining experience we were expecting my wife received a cremated burger on a plate with some chips and garnish, I had some fish and chips which I must say was very nice. The waitress was apologetic for the delay in service and also for the condition of the burger which was returned, she did however offer a complimentary desert and drink. To summarise the evening meal was extremely average pub grub and better fare can be found elsewhere. When we did finally leave the Bistro we passed the main dining room to find it empty and in darkness !!
We did however have breakfast in the Opus dining room and must say it was very nice. All of the staff we met were extremely nice the receptionist who also doubled as our waitress was very pleasant and keen to help. My general impression gained of this particular deal is that Itison guests are treated as second tier guests which considering what was paid may be to some extent understandable, however if paying the full tariff, I would be extremely unhappy with what was on offer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to give us this feedback. I was concerned and disappointed to read your comments, which are certainly not reflective of the usual high standard of service on which we have built our reputation. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations, and be assured that we take such matters very seriously as like treat all our guests in the same special way no matter how they have booked.
I am keen to discuss this further with you, so that we can ensure that your experience is not repeated in the future and I would be grateful if you could please contact me directly next time you visiting the Perth area.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Thank you to Simon and the team for a pleasant stay during Rewind Festival weekend. Staff couldnt have been more helpful. Rooms were clean and tidy. Breakfast had a good array of food and choices. Hotel is well located for Perth train station and City Centre ( 5 mins walk) .
All in all, a very pleasant stay with no complaints .
See you next year

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheTravellingLoon

Thank You very much for giving the hotel such a positive review. I am thrilled to learn that our team has taken very good care of you as they do take pride in their food produced and guest orientated service to make sure guest have a very memorable experience so the guests keep on returning to the hotel.

Operations Manager
p.s Look forward to seeing you again next year.