New County Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsgroupon dealon arrivalfirst floorcourse mealcar parkbit datedexcellent value for moneyfull scottish breakfastan overnight staycentral locationweekend breakshort stayblack puddingtwin roomstayed for one nightcooked breakfasttown centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July this year. The room was both dated and grubby, as was the bathroom. The weather was extremely hot and the temperature in the room was uncomfortable to say the least. Our room was also up several flights of steep stairs ( I felt as if I was ascending the foothills of the Himalayas) through several fire doors and then down a flight of stairs. So access was both difficult and in my case uncomfortable as I suffer from arthritis. The food was mediocre at best. I have struggled to think of anything positive to say about my stay in this particular hotel, but can think of nothing.

Room Tip: Don't risk it!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elraso3
Operations M, Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

I am disappointed to hear you felt you had such a bad experience at the hotel.On the basis of the room all are rooms they been recently independently checked by the visit Scotland and been confirmed to be of a very clean high standard 3 star establishment.I note that you visit in July when most of the uk was in the middle very warm weather at that time so everywhere would have been quite warm. We do not have a lift at the hotel but if guests ever require a room on the first floor we do our very best to accommodate the request and move people if possible. I would have appreciated that you had approached the Duty Manager during your stay to raise any of your concerns. These sometimes can be dealt with very efficiently at the time and almost always impossible after your stay.I also find it quite strange that it took so long for these concerns to come to light.In this instance it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your visit. and may best if you stay somewhere else in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

On arrival the small car park was full but opposite there was a pay & display car park which was very cheap and from 6pm -8am was free.We were booked quickly,our room was comfortable and clean. Although it was double glazed it faced a busy road and was rather noisy with constant traffic passing by,this did not hinder my sleep but may some.We had the choice of eating in the bistro or Opus restaurants. We chose the Bistro which had plenty of choice and was very tasty.I can recommend the beef casserole.Breakfast was also very good,with lots to choose from on the continental buffet.Over all a pleasant stay and we would most probably stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper I would recommend getting a room at the back of the building .
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeC19703

Thank you for taking the time to write a complimentary review, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much, I will pass on your positive thoughts to the staff who will be happy to hear you had such a nice time. I really appreciate your remarks, and hope it is not too long before your next visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The rooms were tired and cracks appearing on the roof. Our one was right on the main road with traffic going by constantly. My wife and I also had to move rooms due to a loss hissing noise from toilet this happened at midnight. This ruined our relaxing night also the wifi was questionable. We had hoped the food could rescue it and given it has two rosettes we were hopeful,how wrong we were. After receiving our mains about forty mins after our poor starters my wife's guinea fowl pie was burnt. It really was poor as for breakfast the cold buffet was a let down brown and sad looking pineapple and green looking ham yuk. When we checked no one bothered to ask us how everything was which is shocking. We will never be back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stu-watp
Operations M, Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

I am very sorry for the unacceptable stay you felt you encountered with us.As you would appreciate we are a city centre hotel and there is always going to be some form of noise. The toilet was one of these things which can go wrong at any given time and although it disturbed you,you was moved very quickly and efficiently by one of my colleagues. On the food side
I would question as to why none of these concerns had been brought to our attention at the time,as all our diners are checked after every course is served to make sure everything is satisfactory , as we had other comments from guests praising the food and did not receive any other complaint regarding the breakfast. I would have appreciated that you had approached the Duty Manager during your stay to raise any concerns. These sometimes can be dealt with very efficiently at the time and almost always impossible after your stay is over. It is unfortunate that you feel the way you do about your stay with us on this occasion.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked this for me from itison as part of my birthday, and it didn't disappoint.
The lady who greeted us at reception was lovely and full of information, she asked us to come back down to decide which restaurant we wanted to eat at, naturally we chose the more expensive opus restaurant.
The room itself, 101, was rather chilly as I'm not entirely sure that the window closed properly and you could hear traffic noise, but that didn't really bother us as we knew the hotel was situated on a main road. The bathroom was also a bit small, but there was lots of storage space.
For dinner we were the only people in the restaurant, it was faultless, as a vegetarian I was fully catered for.

Overall a lovely stay with great food and a comfortable room.
However if you are a light sleeper then avoid a room that is front facing.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review, the remarks about the food and service are very highly appreciated .I am delighted you were made to feel so welcome as we always strive to give that extra level of service to make all our guests feel very welcome and like a second home. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Having travelled from London, with 30kg of luggage, enroute back to Kenya, I struggled into the reception at Sunday lunchtime. I stood there for 20 minutes until a guest told me to ring the bell around the corner, which was not visible from where I was standing. A lady attended me from the bar and checked me in, and gave me the keys. In fairness I was asked if I would like a hand with my luggage, but I thought as it was a Sunday, and with no-one else around, I could manage to the second floor. It was a gruelling challenge, and despite the smart ground floor, it gives no clue to what lies above. I have never stayed in such a small room since student days, and being July, the room was unbearably hot. The main window would only open by 4 inches, so no chance of cooling it down. Back to the Ground Floor, the Dining Room is excellent, and breakfast very good. However would not return, ever.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lyall D

I am very sorry for the unacceptable room you believe you was given. On the basis of the room all are rooms they been recently independently checked by the visit Scotland and been confirmed to be of a very clean high standard 3 star establishment.The lady was serving in the bar at the time and would have come straight away if her attention was raised. I would have appreciated that you had approached the Duty Manager during your stay to raise any of your concerns. These sometimes can be dealt with very efficiently at the time and almost always impossible after your stay is over. but please rest assured I take all comments very seriously. I am delighted you found the dinner and breakfast to such a high standard and I do hope you reconsider your thoughts on staying with us in the future.